The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Strapmaking tools, what would you need?

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Empty
PostSubject: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 pm

Saw this question at TZ-Uk and thought it a good one. What do you need to have a go at making your own leather straps?

One answer, from an Oxford Don was:
A really sharp knife
A metal straight edge (preferably with a known right angle on it)
A miniature punch
A pouncing wheel (aka overstitch wheel tool)
A sewing awl
An edge beveler (optional)
Beeswax or tragacanth gum
A hardwood dowel
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

And a step-by-step photo guide to a novice attempt:
http://www.tz-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=25019&hilit=strap
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:16 pm

My steps...

1. Send e-mail to strap maker
  2. Send PayPal payment
  3. Wait
  4. Get strap

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:48 pm

andrema wrote:
My steps...

2. Send PayPal payment
  3. Wait
  4. Get strap

That's such a bottom line way to do it......oh, yeah.....never mind.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:54 pm

It would seem like an interesting sideline to the hobby. I went so far as ordering a video but have yet to watch it. A friend of mines daughter in law has a saddle shop and all the leather tools, one of these days I'm going to see if she can try and make some straps for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 9:59 pm

merichar wrote:
It would seem like an interesting sideline to the hobby. I went so far as ordering a video but have yet to watch it. A friend of mines daughter in law has a saddle shop and all the leather tools, one of these days I'm going to see if she can try and make some straps for me.

Oh, wow. A really nice saddle leather strap would be a great addition to many watches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:10 pm

I asked a saddlemaker friend of mine if he'd make me a strap once. Nope, he doesn't want to work that small. He'll do fender keepers, and spur straps, but has never done, or had interest to do a watch strap, not even for himself.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:11 pm

porschefan wrote:
I asked a saddlemaker friend of mine if he'd make me a strap once. Nope, he doesn't want to work that small. He'll do fender keepers, and spur straps, but has never done, or had interest to do a watch strap, not even for himself.

Have you shown him some of the newer watches? Who said anything about working small Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:20 pm

porschefan wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
porschefan wrote:

Have you shown him some of the newer watches? Who said anything about working small Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742

He's a perfectionist. The roughcut wide straps popular now aren't his cup o' tea. He's busy enough to do the jobs he wants, so...

He's the guy I'd like to have do mine then. I'm no fan of the roughcut straps myself - no offense to anyone - and can only imagine what a real saddlemaker could do with some top grade saddle leather and their skills on a strap. I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:28 pm

He does beautiful work. He really is an artist. Some of his tools are over 100 years old, and still using them. Similar to some watch makers tools.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 10:36 pm

Pretty cool step by step. My question is where to find the leather. I'd like to find an old leather ammo bag or something of the sort and give it a try!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 14, 2010 11:23 pm

Outstanding info Doc !!!..I think I may leave it up to
the professionals, or MacGyver ! Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_cheers

Seriously though..Thank you very much !!!

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 12:34 am

cski wrote:
Pretty cool step by step. My question is where to find the leather. I'd like to find an old leather ammo bag or something of the sort and give it a try!

When I was a kid you could find them for nothing at the A&N stores. I'd probably try a dusty old A&N store and see what I could find now.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 9:48 am

andrema wrote:
My steps...

2. Send PayPal payment
  3. Wait
  4. Get strap

Oh man, I LITERALLY laughed out loud at this one!

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 10:54 am

porschefan wrote:
Some of his tools are over 100 years old, and still using them.

Well DAYUM! He must not get much business if he can't afford new tools!!!! Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 15, 2010 11:35 am

bodypeersur1 wrote:
porschefan wrote:
Some of his tools are over 100 years old, and still using them.

Well DAYUM! He must not get much business if he can't afford new tools!!!! Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742 Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 744742

Strapmaking tools, what would you need? 831531
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Strapmaking tools, what would you need?   Strapmaking tools, what would you need? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Strapmaking tools, what would you need?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: