The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Empty
PostSubject: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 7:25 pm

Ok I give - I want it. (Forget the Rollex DeepSea Sea Dweller I mentioned a while back)

Was at the local Omega AD today for a look/see at my PO for yet another issue.
Long story - let's just say you get what you "gray" for.
Gonna cost me to make it right w/Omega Warranty - oh well.

Anyway...
After the diagnosis I asked for another drool over the Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT.
A truly awesome watch - been out ~3ys and has no repair history whatsoever (for malfunction).
The most accurate mech/auto on the market.

Don't know how I'm gonna get one (~$6500 @ AD) - but I gotta.
Will probably sell everything I thought I wanted to keep to do it.
My choice is the Chrono/GMT Version (Sorry) White Dial Black Tachy Bezel

Here's some web pics and an excerpt from
ablogtoread.com

BTW: NONE of these pics convey the true majesty and presence of this watch - must see in person to get it.

Thanks for listening - had to tell somebody.

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Ananta-SD-movement1

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Seiko-Ananta-Spring-Drive-Chrono-white-1

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Seiko-Ananta-watch-side

...>8...The watch is really all about the dial - which looks great. First and foremost for Seiko is function. As you can see the Chronograph and GMT models are extremely easy to use and read. For a simpler look you can go with the GMT model. It has the time, date, GMT hand, and a power reserve indicator. Very clean lines, and impressively bold, yet beautiful. The chronograph model adds a 12 hour chronograph to the mix, with the chronograph subdials being stacked for the easiest reading possible (all the chronograph hands are also red). Let me tell you why Seiko high-end chronographs are the best on the market to use (in my humble opinion). First, the chronograph movements utilize a column wheel and vertical clutch (if you don't know what these are, that is OK, but they are things you want in a chronograph movement). In addition to being accurate (and actually increasing the power reserve time on the Spring Drive watches!) they utilize a "ready, set, go" feature. The chronograph pushers have a two-stage operation. Let me explain this simple but important concept. Press the chronograph start/stop pusher down and you feel a gentle springy resistance until it comes to the first stop. You've just gone from "ready" to "set." Then press down a bit more and you start the chronograph. The chronograph starts precisely when you press the pusher down the second time, without any lag time. This way you start the chronograph at just the right time, and it feels so nice! The second you try it, you'll be sold - I was. It might even make you use the chronograph function much more than normal. The chronograph is also used for the tachyemeter scale on the bezel. That is a function no on uses. A limited edition version of the Ananta Spring Drive Chronograph a clean, bare bezel.

The watch dials themselves are beautiful. A lot of this has to do with the large diamond polished hour indexes. You'll see spots of quality luminant near them on the chapter ring where the numbers for the GMT hand are placed. The hour markers and the hands (also the power reserve indicator strip) reflect light in a wonderful way that give it a prism-like feel. Look closely and you can see little rainbows of colored light gently playing on the surfaces. It is quite impressive. If you've never experienced a Spring Drive movement watch, you'll be impressed with the seconds hand. You know how mechanical watches have a "sweeping" seconds hand, well Spring Drive takes that a step further. I won't get into a big discussion on this, but on Spring Drive watches, the seconds hand moves in the most perfectly smooth manner you'll ever see. Seiko calls this "Glide Motion" hands, and it just means they are buttery smooth in their cutting through time....8<...
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 pm

I was at the outlet this weekend and saw some pretty cool Seikos myself!

That one is a TANK, I can see it on your wrist Jaw!

PostSubject: Re: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitimeSat Jul 24, 2010 11:26 pm

Good luck with your quest. It is a worthy Grail.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitimeSun Jul 25, 2010 1:06 am

Jaw, can see why you call this your next grail ! Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_cyclops Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  46145 Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_cyclops
The discription of the watch is EXTRAORDINARY, and so are
the pictures of the watch, along with movement ! I think what
makes the watch SO impressive is the anticipation of what this
watch actually IS !..I mean Seiko's "regular" watches already
pack a punch, and compare with watches that are alot more
expensive. So, thinking about what a top of the line Seiko must
be like is almost dizzying. It's kind of scary ! Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Affraid .. Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_cheers ..Thanks
for showing us your next grail, it's OUTSTANDING, and genuinely
worthy of being called a grail !..I hope you get this one at some
point down the road sir !

PostSubject: Re: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:19 pm

Beautiful watches, these Anantas. A bit large for my puny sub 7-inch wrists but stunning nonetheless. Saw some a few months ago.

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  1003-IMG_1331-1k

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  1003-IMG_1328-1k
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT    Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Next Grail Identified - Seiko Ananta Spring Drive Chrono/GMT
Page 1 of 1