The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are you finding yourself...

Go down 
+2
Anomaly
AtomicTom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Are you finding yourself... Empty
PostSubject: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:41 pm

..liking more and more watch brands, and watches ?

There just seem to be SO many brands from A-Z that are TERRIFIC !
You could honestly pick just about any BIG or small brand out there,
and immerse yourself into their watches ! ..It's pretty outstanding
in my humble opinion ! ..So what do you think ? ..Are you finding
yourself liking more and more watch brands, and watches ? ..Or
is it only a few watch brands, and watches that catch your eye ?

Any thoughts or opinions ? Are you finding yourself... Icon_smile

Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 6:49 pm

Great question Tom...

My personal tastes have truly evolved (and will probably evolve even more)...

First I bought ANYTHING I could afford...

Then zoned in on Zodiacs...

Then Breitling, Panerai, Hamilton, etc.

I will admit, I became a MINI-WATCH SNOB for a bit, only wanted well known brands...

I think I have found a happy middle now. Have an Ocean 7, a Steinhart, a G-Shock and still two Zodiacs.

I am currently looking at Formex, Helson, Lum-Tec and a few other micro brands for a next purchase...

I get razzed a bit for asking others opinions, but I like hearing what others say, getting feedback from someone who has owned a watch I am considering etc, etc.

As Doc says, buy whatcha like...

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 7:48 pm

There are literally a seemingly ENDLESS amount of watch brands. I post about them every day and just cant believe how many there are, large and small.

What I found after doing the "buying anything I could afford" thing - was that I really HAD a clear direction and style I liked. So I made a list. Included watches I could afford and some that I could not, but it was 10-15 watches I really liked, from ANY brand. And if I really liked them and could afford them, I went after them (after purging most my previous collection like many others have done).

And I have started to cross many off that list - The TT1 Oris, 2 7750 Hamiltons I wanted, specific Zodiac, Citizen, Seiko and deep blue models. Making the list made my collecting much more focused, AND FUN for me to be honest. Before I would want everything and get frustrated terribly. I would just add and add and add anything I even remotely liked to my list. Now I am MUCH more selective and picky on what gets on my list. No more impulse buys.

And with SO MANY BRANDS OUT THERE it is very hard not to add this new one or that new one, but I also got realistic and realized I am not endlessly wealthy and if I wanted to actually get any of the watches I wanted/desired I had to be specific and CAREFUL with my purchases. Why take $$ away from one of the ones on my list for a pointless impulse purchase. So made some concessions.

Back on topic - I find myself liking LESS brands now and realizing how many are incredibly similar to another brand or just an outright homage copy. There is nothing wrong with that but it keeps me focused on adding the quality I want to MY collection.

That being said - YES I love reading about every single watch brand out there and learning about new ones each day, but I wont get all misty eyed and desperate to land some new next-great-thing just because everyone else is excited about it.

The great great variety of brands has brought me back to reality in many ways with my collecting if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 9:55 pm

Nope...Omega only lol!

That was the fanboy in me. I actually have reduced the scope of what I am willing to buy. Only specific brands and specific models. I have a focus to my collecting now and definitely know what I want.

Although, that won't stop me from buying a watch that catches my eye! That is fun too....I know everyone here knows that itch!!

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:09 pm

Yes. And No.

I am liking more specific watch brands and leaving others a bit behind.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:12 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Great question Tom...

My personal tastes have truly evolved (and will probably evolve even more)...

First I bought ANYTHING I could afford...

Then zoned in on Zodiacs...

Then Breitling, Panerai, Hamilton, etc.

I will admit, I became a MINI-WATCH SNOB for a bit, only wanted well known brands...

I think I have found a happy middle now. Have an Ocean 7, a Steinhart, a G-Shock and still two Zodiacs.

I am currently looking at Formex, Helson, Lum-Tec and a few other micro brands for a next purchase...

I get razzed a bit for asking others opinions, but I like hearing what others say, getting feedback from someone who has owned a watch I am considering etc, etc.

As Doc says, buy whatcha like...

TVDinner wrote:
There are literally a seemingly ENDLESS amount of watch brands. I post about them every day and just cant believe how many there are, large and small.

What I found after doing the "buying anything I could afford" thing - was that I really HAD a clear direction and style I liked. So I made a list. Included watches I could afford and some that I could not, but it was 10-15 watches I really liked, from ANY brand. And if I really liked them and could afford them, I went after them (after purging most my previous collection like many others have done).

And I have started to cross many off that list - The TT1 Oris, 2 7750 Hamiltons I wanted, specific Zodiac, Citizen, Seiko and deep blue models. Making the list made my collecting much more focused, AND FUN for me to be honest. Before I would want everything and get frustrated terribly. I would just add and add and add anything I even remotely liked to my list. Now I am MUCH more selective and picky on what gets on my list. No more impulse buys.

And with SO MANY BRANDS OUT THERE it is very hard not to add this new one or that new one, but I also got realistic and realized I am not endlessly wealthy and if I wanted to actually get any of the watches I wanted/desired I had to be specific and CAREFUL with my purchases. Why take $$ away from one of the ones on my list for a pointless impulse purchase. So made some concessions.

Back on topic - I find myself liking LESS brands now and realizing how many are incredibly similar to another brand or just an outright homage copy. There is nothing wrong with that but it keeps me focused on adding the quality I want to MY collection.

That being said - YES I love reading about every single watch brand out there and learning about new ones each day, but I wont get all misty eyed and desperate to land some new next-great-thing just because everyone else is excited about it.

The great great variety of brands has brought me back to reality in many ways with my collecting if that makes sense.

WOW ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_biggrin ..GREAT stuff guys !!!!! Are you finding yourself... 46145 ..I genuinely appreciate what you guys had
to say there Alan and James. It's nice hearing about your opinions, and getting some
insight into how different people think about this hobby ! ..Your takes on watches are
both EXTREMELY interesting, and I think it's about that happy middle you are talking
about Alan. As well as that focus, and FUN you point to James ! ..THANKS ALOT for
your takes on this !!!

AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:18 pm

andrema wrote:
Nope...Omega only Are you finding yourself... Lol

That was the fanboy in me. I actually have reduced the scope of what I am willing to buy. Only specific brands and specific models. I have a focus to my collecting now and definitely know what I want.

Although, that won't stop me from buying a watch that catches my eye! That is fun too....I know everyone here knows that itch!!

Docrwm wrote:
Yes. And No.

I am liking more specific watch brands and leaving others a bit behind.

NICE ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_cheers ..More AWESOME ideas Mark, and Doc !!!! ..Seems like I am seeing
a common theme here ! Even though you guys like many brands, you are finding
a way to "focus", on certain "specific" watches, or brands !!! ..VERY COOL !

THANKS again !!!

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 10:44 pm

andrema wrote:
Nope...Omega only lol!

Same boat here. I have maybe 5 brands that I look at on a consistent basis. While the others look nice, they are a "been there, done that" type.

Those I would consider are Omega Speedmaster, TAG Heuer Monaco, Breitling Galctic or Navitimer, Rolex black sub or GMT, and of course another G-Shock
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeFri Aug 27, 2010 11:33 pm

Generally speaking, I find whats coming out of Germany to be more interesting than the Swiss these days. But really depends on the watch itself. A little tired of all the micros, but do see Zixen and Halios as two who standout.

Anything Sinn is always appealing too. Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:16 am

It does seem like more brands are becoming available at the same time that watch magazines are talking about the industry shrinking with the tough financaial conditions. I am just happy to have lots of options to pick from now that my son is out of college and I can finally afford some nicer watches. The problem is I cant decide which ones to buy in what order.
Kevin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:27 am

Streetboss wrote:
It does seem like more brands are becoming available at the same time that watch magazines are talking about the industry shrinking with the tough financaial conditions. I am just happy to have lots of options to pick from now that my son is out of college and I can finally afford some nicer watches. The problem is I cant decide which ones to buy in what order.
Kevin

I dont think these newcomers will make a very big splash. Most are probably parts bins "assemblers" with small changes that require less capital. Parts suppliers most likely have lowered their prices to push inventories which will attract new brands to get in while costs are less.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:40 am

Kinda makes you wonder how George Fox/NFW does it?

I don't THINK he is going "parts bin" by any stretch, especially on his new diver...

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:52 am

Heck Allan,
George could sell icecubes to eskimos with his sense of selling and his instant like-ability. I have never heard anybody say anything bad about George. He isn't pretentious about what he is seliing you. He has his stuff manufactured in Hong Kong and imports it in. Unlike other wtch companies, he keeps pretty tight reins on the quality control and that helps keep his prices down. Pretty good business model actually.
Kevin
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:00 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
andrema wrote:
Nope...Omega only Are you finding yourself... Lol

Same boat here. I have maybe 5 brands that I look at on a consistent basis. While the others look nice, they are a "been there, done that" type.

Those I would consider are Omega Speedmaster, TAG Heuer Monaco, Breitling Galctic or Navitimer, Rolex black sub or GMT, and of course another G-Shock

SCM64 wrote:
Generally speaking, I find whats coming out of Germany to be more interesting than the Swiss these days. But really depends on the watch itself. A little tired of all the micros, but do see Zixen and Halios as two who standout.

Anything Sinn is always appealing too. Are you finding yourself... Icon_cool

Streetboss wrote:
Kevin

WP, you make a super point about the "been there, done that" theme sir ! Are you finding yourself... 803574
Also think it's neat that it allows you to zero in on a few brands that you like
as a result. Have to also say that those "5 brands" are very varied, and VERY
cool by the way !

I also like ALOT of what's coming out of Germany SCM64 ! ..Sinn is right at
the forefront of those ! Micro brands like Zixen, and Halios look GREAT to me
too ! ..That's my problem ! ..I like everything !!! Are you finding yourself... Icon_biggrin

Streetboss, EXCELLENT point about there being more and more watch brands
becoming available with the economic troubles, along with industry shrinking
sir. I wonder if this has to do with more smaller companies launching in order
to make less expensive watch options available for people ! ..This way they
can still enjoy buying watches, without spending as much right now. ..I also
COMPLETELY understand your "problem" of not being able to decide which
watch to buy, and in what order ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_cheers

THX for the feedback guys !!!

Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 1:04 am

Streetboss wrote:
Heck Allan,
George could sell icecubes to eskimos with his sense of selling and his instant like-ability. I have never heard anybody say anything bad about George. He isn't pretentious about what he is seliing you. He has his stuff manufactured in Hong Kong and imports it in. Unlike other wtch companies, he keeps pretty tight reins on the quality control and that helps keep his prices down. Pretty good business model actually.
Kevin

No doubt!

I don't think I have EVER heard of quality issues with NFW!

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:34 pm

Selling everything and going to own 400 G-shocks! Are you finding yourself... 25866
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:07 pm

cali kid wrote:
Selling everything and going to own 400 G-shocks! Are you finding yourself... 25866

haha! that would be a helluva group shot! affraid

Could you imagine trying to pick one out to wear? Shocked
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 10:19 pm

cali kid wrote:
I have dibbs on the Kobold and Omega Bond Twisted Evil

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 11:04 pm

AtomicTom wrote:

I think you're on to something, Tom. I'm finding myself interested in brands I never considered before. Are you finding yourself... 803574
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 1:37 am

pacifichrono wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:

I think you're on to something, Tom. I'm finding myself interested in brands I never considered before. Are you finding yourself... 803574

It's great isn't it Tom ? Are you finding yourself... Icon_smile ..I think it's one of the many reasons we are lucky to be into this hobby !
..There are too many layers to this hobby to count, and each day, each month, or year that goes
by there is more and more that is learned. Not to mention more brands, and watches to like !

Whether you only like a few brands, or like very many, there always seems like there is something
new that reveals itself. Or even a watch or watch company that maybe you didn't pay that much
attention to before, but now are REALLY enjoying !!!

From Omega to G-Shocks like Trevor said ! Are you finding yourself... 803574 ..There is ALOT to like !

Thanks for your opinions everyone ! Are you finding yourself... 46145

PostSubject: I just float from brand to brand...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:24 pm

and I've been doing so for years now. I focussed on SEIKO's for awhile, then went to OMEGA, liked SWATCH for some time...Fell in love with SINN...got intrigued by ROLEX for a bit..etc etc etc... I'm just REALLY happy when the brand/style that I'm gaga for is AFFORDABLE. It's a heckuva lot less stressful and way more fun to be feelin' the love for G-Shocks than it is for Rolex..for obvious reasons Wink Aside from the watches I work on/create, I see watches like I do clothes or shoes. I haven't wanted to wear the same brand or style of shoes everyday for the past 20 years, so why would I be that way about watches? Just much easier on the pocketbook when you're into Converse All-Stars, and not in your Timberland hiking boot phase Very Happy Back to what you said though...Sure, there are TONS of good quality watches out there, but I tend to focus on one thing at a time where my wearing habits are concerned.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 2:47 pm

Jake B wrote:
and I've been doing so for years now. I focussed on SEIKO's for awhile, then went to OMEGA, liked SWATCH for some time...Fell in love with SINN...got intrigued by ROLEX for a bit..etc etc etc... I'm just REALLY happy when the brand/style that I'm gaga for is AFFORDABLE. It's a heckuva lot less stressful and way more fun to be feelin' the love for G-Shocks than it is for Rolex..for obvious reasons Are you finding yourself... Icon_wink Aside from the watches I work on/create, I see watches like I do clothes or shoes. I haven't wanted to wear the same brand or style of shoes everyday for the past 20 years, so why would I be that way about watches? Just much easier on the pocketbook when you're into Converse All-Stars, and not in your Timberland hiking boot phase Are you finding yourself... Icon_biggrin Back to what you said though...Sure, there are TONS of good quality watches out there, but I tend to focus on one thing at a time where my wearing habits are concerned.

Wow Jake ! ..Awesome explanations, along with analogies there ! Are you finding yourself... 803574 ..I tend to gravitate toward
the more affordable watches as well, and haven't honestly gotten into an expensive phase yet.
..Hopefully I can stay focused ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_cheers

thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 5:47 pm

My WIS days began with G Shocks in 2004, went to seikos and other smaller brands...but now at age62, I'm paring down and recently bought the Tsunami and 3 vintage Omegas....trying to simplify my lifestyle hahaha! Trying to have on my interpretation of some Iconic pieces....within budget of course! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 29, 2010 8:43 pm

thianwong wrote:
My WIS days began with G Shocks in 2004, went to seikos and other smaller brands...but now at age62, I'm paring down and recently bought the Tsunami and 3 vintage Omegas....trying to simplify my lifestyle hahaha! Trying to have on my interpretation of some Iconic pieces....within budget of course! Are you finding yourself... Icon_biggrin

Very cool Thian ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_cool ..It sounds like you have liked many watch brands in the past, and continue
to get into more and more brands to this day sir ! Are you finding yourself... Icon_smile

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you finding yourself...   Are you finding yourself... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you finding yourself...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: