The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Losing interest in autos??!!

Go down 
+6
barnbuilder
AtomicTom
TAZMAN64
TVDinner
Anomaly
Northwestguy
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Losing interest in autos??!! Empty
PostSubject: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:21 pm

I have five decent automatics and one mechanical but lately I'm looking at quartz watches as "backfillers" to my collection. Shocked

The thing is, I'm not sure why but have come up with possible reasons. At some point, these watches will need service which means big $$ based on the brands I have. Maybe subconsciously, I feel I have enough autos/mechanicals and am looking at quartz for easy maintenance and savings in maintenance costs and upfront purchase costs.

Seems alot of watches today come in both auto and quartz versions with very little, if any, noticeable difference in case, bracelet, and dial. Some examples are the Omega Seamaster, TAG 500m, and several Breitlings

I have one spot remaining on the 6 slot winder so once that is filled I may go quartz completely so I need to make that last one count!

Anyone else feeling the same way lately?
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:30 pm

Great Topic! Certainly have become concerned with the cost of service for autos (I now own 13). I have 2 quartz. I think I am hedging on time being on my side (and lower mechanical wear and tear) regarding the autos since I do not keep them on a winder and I rotate them during a 2 week period of time. I know it will all catch up with me at some point. I do not know if I would necessarily go quartz as much as I think I would decrease my numbers of autos (and number of watches in general).
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Hmmm...

How often do you REALLY need to service a watch these days?

I know "back in the day" oils used were much different. But now with the silicons, parts, technology involved, do you REALLY need to service a watch? I have heard unless you NOTICE an issue, don't service it.

It is FUNNY the mindsets we get ourselves into as we are in this hobby/addiction longer. Seems we all pretty much have gone from affordable, high end, auto only, "I would never spend THAT much on a quartz..."

Well if you look at the brands Dan mentioned, the quartz models REALLY aren't that much less and the Breitling Chronospace is more than both my Avenger Seawolf and SOH 46mm were...

I too want a bad-ass quarts but the thought of spending $600-$900 dollars on a quartz TUNA still makes me say, "THAT much, for a QUARTZ???"

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:00 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Hmmm...

How often do you REALLY need to service a watch these days?

I know "back in the day" oils used were much different. But now with the silicons, parts, technology involved, do you REALLY need to service a watch? I have heard unless you NOTICE an issue, don't service it.

It is FUNNY the mindsets we get ourselves into as we are in this hobby/addiction longer. Seems we all pretty much have gone from affordable, high end, auto only, "I would never spend THAT much on a quartz..."

Well if you look at the brands Dan mentioned, the quartz models REALLY aren't that much less and the Breitling Chronospace is more than both my Avenger Seawolf and SOH 46mm were...

I too want a bad-ass quarts but the thought of spending $600-$900 dollars on a quartz TUNA still makes me say, "THAT much, for a QUARTZ???"

Alan, for me personally, I think I have the autos I want and some are pushing 4-5 years old. I agree, I won't service them unless there is a significant accuracy issue and that may be another 4-5 years. I'm seeing maintenance costs inthe $300-600 price range and that has me concerned as I would want to get themserviced before putting that money into more autos.

As for the auto vs quartz comparison, you really have to compare like models. A Seamaster auto is now $3450, quartz about half that. Not sure of the direct comparison for the Seawolf as they dont make a 3 hand quartz.

Consider the Swiss Army Divemaster 500. Auto msrp is about $1000 and quartz near $600 for an identical look.

Ive had excellent fortune with all my autos - accurate with no maintenance.

As for cost, I think you would be surprised at how much the autos movmts cost as a % of total watch cost. Its not as high as you think. I dont have the numbers but I'd think a few hundred bucks max for a Breitling mvmt and that's in a $4000 watch. Both auto and quartz seemout of whack in this regard.

Botomline is, I want to keep the collection smaller and doing so will keep my costs down in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:08 pm

Yeah, ETA movements are NOT that expensive. Now it IS my understanding Breitling works them over BIG time, they don't just put them in the watch STOCK, but I believe other brands do that too...

I am REALLY leaning toward a EcoZilla with SUPPA adapters and putting....MESH...on it!

Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:53 pm

I am going the other way. my entire collection has shifted from quartz to autos. I think as your collecting progresses and you get into better quality watches you just see more autos available in general. this is not a hard fast rule, but you just keep going up in brand names and you seem to see more autos, at least that is my opinion.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:55 pm

for me, i only want autos or better yet mechanicals anymore. i own a few quartz watches from the early days, but they dont have any sole or heart . i like the workings of a mechanical watch, i to want to keep the cost down so i will sell one or two that ive had for awhile and buy a new one. steve
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:15 am

Super topic WP !!! Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_biggrin ..I see where you are coming from here, and
I hardly even have any automatics ! Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_cheers ..Most of my Zodiacs are
quartz, except for an Oceanaire. I'm at the point where I'm probably
going to start getting more automatics ! Mainly because I don't have
many as of yet. However, you do make a terrific point here about cost
of buying them, especially higher end Swiss automatics. Then figuring
in buying different winders, as well as the possible servicing you speak
of, and it's easy to see why you might want to get a quartz next. I
guess it comes down to where you are in your collecting at a given
time, but's it's a good question you ask imho !

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:25 am

I go by if its working fine no need for a service! I didnt even have a quartz in the collection, got rid of them all a couple years ago and then just in the last couple months a picked up the Seiko Alien from 1983 and got a new ecozilla and then that damn Dee & Ricky G shock and i finally got what G lovers have told me for years but i was too proud (or stupid to even try one on) to buy one and now i love them and i'm up to five of them!
So in a couple months went from Zero to seven quartz watches but i got the man collection that will stay and i still feel that a mechanical watch tells more than time, they tell a story and i feel the have more of a soul and connection to the owner that a quartz watch doesnt!
For the normal person that just needs a watch i always tell them to pick up a quartz watch and you dont need to mess with it!
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:12 am

I have two sets of watches, several quartz watches that I use only for construction, don't care if they get beat up and scratched, then those that I wear for everything else, some quartz but mostly auto's.
I don't plan on buying another quartz unless I really like the look of it and can't get it in an auto or need another work watch.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:11 pm

Nope....can't do it.
Do not, will not own a quartz.
(Slight fib, I do have a Battlestar Galactica digital).....LOL

CJ
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:27 pm

Own some quartz watches but I've had them for a while. No impulse to own any more of them.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 12:32 pm

You blaspheme!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 2:34 pm

I was thinking the same but at one point I got a Casio ProTrek, with normal lugs so I can use normal straps. This has Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, etc. Solar powered so no need to change batteries.

The only other quartz I have is this one, a Seiko Kinetic:

Losing interest in autos??!! ScIMG_3695

This charges with a rotor just like an auto... Very nice. The only two things are I don't like are the push button to check the power reserve and the 1 tick per second of the seconds hand. Otherwise it's great.

They convenient in that they keep ticking and they keep really good time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 3:57 pm

Maybe I should clarify. I'm not losing interest in autos but rather not wanting to own many more of them. Does that make sense? scratch
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSun Sep 05, 2010 10:42 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
Maybe I should clarify. I'm not losing interest in autos but rather not wanting to own many more of them. Does that make sense? Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_scratch

Yes, this definitely does make sense WP ! Losing interest in autos??!! 803574

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:09 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
Maybe I should clarify. I'm not losing interest in autos but rather not wanting to own many more of them. Does that make sense? scratch
Dan...I think you're delirious with "Packer Fever!" Losing interest in autos??!! 252943 Losing interest in autos??!! 744742
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 1:57 pm

How about this Dan?

I am CONSIDERING this one...

Losing interest in autos??!! Fullsize2

About $375 right now...

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:35 pm

yes, those are sharp. look like renato vulcans though. there's video with the silver dial and bracelet. looks well put together.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 2:38 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
yes, those are sharp. look like renato vulcans though. there's video with the silver dial and bracelet. looks well put together.

And SWEEPING quartz second hand!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:09 pm

Like this one too but is it just me or is the dial kinda hard to read???

Losing interest in autos??!! 96B131-2

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 06, 2010 10:15 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:

Anyone else feeling the same way lately?

ummmmm..... nope Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 12:20 am

heres a thought,for a standard issue eta movement say a 2824 like whats in the accutron vx200,its my understanding that you can buy a new 2824 for around $125-150 possibly less if you know where to look.why not just buy a new mvmt and have the watchmaker install it as opposed to a complete teardown,lube reassembly etc.would it not be less to buy the new one?this is i different situation with highend brands but for the standard why not?
i am making this assumption as someone who has mever had a watch serviced,i was quoted by two watchmakers $250 to re oil my rado original(standard2834)and was told it could be higher if parts were needed.i wound up selling it for that reason

i just realized my post was some what off topic,lol.my thought was t'wards quarts as they are usually simply replaced instead of repaired.not sure where i was goin' lol
Back to top Go down
sooner
Associate

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 1:23 am

I love mechanicals as much as anyone. That said, I make a point to always have at least one quartz in the box, mainly for grab-and-go convenience. Right now I have two. One is a SMW Titan, 44mm titanium with trit tubes; just a cool watch I enjoy wearing and I don't really think too much about what kind of engine is under the hood. The other is a Pathfinder that's strictly a role player: biking, hiking, camping, fishing, etc.

Losing interest in autos??!! SMWTitan-dialcu2

Losing interest in autos??!! CasioPathfinder-Wood
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 9:46 am

Both cool watches Sooner...

...and well the avatar, Twisted Evil

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 2:12 pm

what7 wrote:
heres a thought,for a standard issue eta movement say a 2824 like whats in the accutron vx200,its my understanding that you can buy a new 2824 for around $125-150 possibly less if you know where to look.why not just buy a new mvmt and have the watchmaker install it as opposed to a complete teardown,lube reassembly etc.would it not be less to buy the new one?this is i different situation with highend brands but for the standard why not?
i am making this assumption as someone who has mever had a watch serviced,i was quoted by two watchmakers $250 to re oil my rado original(standard2834)and was told it could be higher if parts were needed.i wound up selling it for that reason

i just realized my post was some what off topic,lol.my thought was t'wards quarts as they are usually simply replaced instead of repaired.not sure where i was goin' lol

I think that's a VERY interesting point you make here What7 ! Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_smile

..GREAT quartz watches here too guys !!! Losing interest in autos??!! 46145

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:37 pm

Guys - look at this sales listing with a service receipt.

This is what concerns me............

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=5261298&rid=0
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:55 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:

That IS a hefty bill...

...on the other hand that watch looks BRAND new which is what I understand is the NORM when a watch comes back from Breitling.

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:47 am

You make a good point Alan! When you send your watch off to Omega, Breitling, Rolex...etc. you are getting back a refurbished watch as opposed to just a serviced movement. These things come back basically like new (within reason Smile)

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeSat Sep 11, 2010 11:37 pm

carloxmt wrote:
I was thinking the same but at one point I got a Casio ProTrek, with normal lugs so I can use normal straps. This has Compass, Altimeter, Barometer, etc. Solar powered so no need to change batteries.

The only other quartz I have is this one, a Seiko Kinetic:

Losing interest in autos??!! ScIMG_3695

This charges with a rotor just like an auto... Very nice. The only two things are I don't like are the push button to check the power reserve and the 1 tick per second of the seconds hand. Otherwise it's great.

They convenient in that they keep ticking and they keep really good time.

This is a great mod!!
Carlo you,ve outdone yourself Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:00 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:

My Rolex 5513 service receipt totaled $1017... luckily the previous owner paid it.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 9:50 am

argabright wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:

My Rolex 5513 service receipt totaled $1017... luckily the previous owner paid it.

WOW...what did it include?

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:31 am

I will be sending my TAG Heuer F1 for a service soon and will post the information on cost, service performed, etc. for you guys. It's a quartz so we'll see what the deal is with that!

Next will be my Omega Seamaster GMT. It may be a while for that one, but I'll do the same with it.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 3:28 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
I will be sending my TAG Heuer F1 for a service soon and will post the information on cost, service performed, etc. for you guys. It's a quartz so we'll see what the deal is with that!

Next will be my Omega Seamaster GMT. It may be a while for that one, but I'll do the same with it.

This sounds very cool Poli !!! ..Thanks ALOT ! Losing interest in autos??!! 803574

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitimeMon Sep 13, 2010 11:41 pm

Anomaly wrote:
argabright wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:

WOW...what did it include?

It doesn't specify, but the watch looks basically like new:
Losing interest in autos??!! DSC00623

I think a regular Rolex service runs around $500, so a lot of movement parts may have been replaced. It's the non-COSC, but lost 4 seconds in the last 5 or so days on the winder...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Losing interest in autos??!!   Losing interest in autos??!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Losing interest in autos??!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next