The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Empty
PostSubject: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:06 pm

....and it got me wondering, there are alot of high end expensive brands out there. I know they make fewer watches but do you ever wonder how many they sell or how long they might sit in a jewelers case?

Talking to my AD last year, she indicated some Rolex' Datejusts and ladies models sit for 2-3 years. Makes me wonder how long watches sit at a place like Tourneau that have many higher end brands.

For example, the new Ralph Lauren line. I haven't seen one pic in the wild of any of their watches and they do get very expensive.

Comments?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:12 pm

Rolex claims to make upwards of 1 million watches a year.

I read on TZ-UK from MANY members who have multiple Rolex and upper tier watches that their ADs are overflowing with watches at present. 2-3 years ago there were 1-2 year waiting lists for many Rolex watch models (why, seriously - why?) and now they are being able to get % off on those same models.

Deals are being reported on many brands that ADs used to just laugh at you if you wanted a discount.

Frankly, given how long some of these Rolex and other higher end watches sit it is no wonder that they need servicing every 3 years unlike Seikos that can go 20-30 years without a service and not miss a beat.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:20 pm

I used to post the HIGH END watches from Time Zone here and they got very little attention or comments like "who can afford them...?"

I think watch collectors PROBABLY are in CLASSES like the rest of society...

I am sure there are TONS of collectors out there with $20k+ watches that NEVER visit a watch forum...

I am sure there are even MORE with Rolex watches that have never been to a watch forum...

I may have gone off topic but I guess what I am saying is SOMEONE out there obviously is buying them...

...I will agree they are probably SITTING a little longer but the watches are being bought by someone even if we don't see them in the "watch you are wearing" thread...

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:23 pm

I guess I was talking about brands that sell for $50k and up mainly. I mean, if they make only a few hundred watches per year and the ADs still have stock, do they then stop producing watches or try to discount heavily to make room for new which hurts their identitiy/value? It has to be a major victory to sell a watch of this stature.

I suppose there are buyers who have close ties to the watchmaker and reserve pieces ahead of time. Also, maybe these smaller companies can adjust production easier as they can monitor sales closer.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 10:33 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
I guess I was talking about brands that sell for $50k and up mainly. I mean, if they make only a few hundred watches per year and the ADs still have stock, do they then stop producing watches or try to discount heavily to make room for new which hurts their identitiy/value? It has to be a major victory to sell a watch of this stature.

I suppose there are buyers who have close ties to the watchmaker and reserve pieces ahead of time. Also, maybe these smaller companies can adjust production easier as they can monitor sales closer.

A watch that is $50k, is it NECESSARILY better than a $5k-10K watch? Are the SUM OF ITS PARTS really worth the $50K, does the manufacturer even have 25-40% of the COST of the watch tied into the pricing, I bet not. It may sit a while, come down to $40k and I bet EVERYONE is still making money...

...course I could be TOTALLY wrong too! Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... 91387

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 1:15 am

Oh man ! This is another REALLY interesting question here ! Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_smile
Never really thought about this, but I guess the watches that
are higher priced probably don't fly out the doors as quickly as
most less expensive watches. So, then they would probably be
sitting there, even as newer models or versions of those same
watches are released from year to year. I'm not really sure if
the companies stop producing watches if there is a backlog
though. Maybe they will eventually discount some of these
watches after a few years like you are saying. ..Would be
cool to find out what actually does happen though. In any
case, it's something to think, as well as talk about !
..Thanks WP !!!

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 1:44 am

I have seen Seikos and Bulovas sit in the watch counter at Macy's for 3 or 4 years....you would think the manufacturer would eventually take them back and try to send them to a DOD place or something. On a high end piece I don't think you can do that....but Overstock.com has a $139,000.00 Breitling.

Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 7:14 am

The press I've read indicates that the super wealthy have not slowed down in this economy. So, I think the $50k watches are probably selling just as well as always.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 9:43 am

Docrwm wrote:
The press I've read indicates that the super wealthy have not slowed down in this economy. So, I think the $50k watches are probably selling just as well as always.

BINGO!

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitimeWed Sep 08, 2010 11:21 am

Docrwm wrote:

There's some truth to that but do you remember the famous luxury tax on expensive auto and yachts?

That effectively caused a downturn in sales of those items and the tax was repealed.

Luxury watches have increased in price by far more than that tax raised the price of the boat or car.

The rich still had money to buy these items but yet they didn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....   Got lost in the high end WUS forum..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got lost in the high end WUS forum.....
Page 1 of 1