The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

this economy

Go down 
+3
Anomaly
AtomicTom
barnbuilder
7 posters
AuthorMessage
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:21 pm

Is it effecting what you buy these days?

It is with me with the construction industry so bad. I actually had a good summer because of a large project I did but know this winter will be different. Think any new watches will come from the sell of others I don't wear as much.

How about you?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:39 pm

I think the conomy is effecting what I buy these days Ron ! ..I'm taking my
time looking around, and not going after as many watches these days. Actually
spend alot more time looking, more than anything else. Smile In a way, it's good
because it allows you to enjoy the watches you already have, and not always
be looking for the next one ! ..Although, if I was making a list of watches to get,
I guess that list would be getting a little bigger right about now to be honest ! cheers

Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 2:41 pm

That's how I buy them now, selling the ones I wasn't wearing.

Hoping my luck gets better on any new ones I might get...

Senior Associate
TVDinner

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 3:59 pm

Yes the economy is 100% effecting my purchasing habbits. Less bigger jobs or events means lower commissions. Slower restaurants and bars means less royalties - all adds up to , you guessed it - less money for watches and everything I do make goes to the essentials for the kids and family.

I hate it BUT at least right now, and for the first time in a long while, I am pretty content with my collection. At least I say that today, lol
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:28 pm

Not really having an impact on my purchasing. Fortunately, my profession is strong in up and down economies.

Senior Associate
merichar

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:35 pm

The economy has'nt really affected me personally-work or income wise anyway. I do see the difficulties some are experiencing, and its effects can be seen in the watch sales forums as in many other places. My lack of recent watch purchases has more to do with burnout than anything else. I think I would bite if the deal was right, have watched a few deals but ineviteably passed. Whats weird is, I don't seem to care too much if one gets away anymore. Waiting for something exciting to come along, but it does'nt seem to happen as frequently as it used to.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 4:37 pm

merichar wrote:
The economy has'nt really affected me personally-work or income wise anyway. I do see the difficulties some are experiencing, and its effects can be seen in the watch sales forums as in many other places. My lack of recent watch purchases has more to do with burnout than anything else. I think I would bite if the deal was right, have watched a few deals but ineviteably passed. Whats weird is, I don't seem to care too much if one gets away anymore. Waiting for something exciting to come along, but it does'nt seem to happen as frequently as it used to.

I would agree...

...once you raise your collection to a certain standard, you aren't buying every $200 GREAT DEAL....

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 5:56 pm

merichar wrote:

Right on!!

I think it comes with being in this hobby for an extended time. Remember the beginning when I wanted everything! then got serious for a few years and made better choices.

Now, there are a couple watches I want but I'm not going crazy by not having them.

Getting my kicks, currently, by "backfilling" with a few G Shocks and somehow I feel just fine with the state of my collection.
Back to top Go down

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 10:58 pm

Ron
Its kind of funny. I figured this was the year, with my kid out of college, that I would start picking up some grails. But this economy has resulted in a pay freeze for me at work, my wifes pay was frozen, she had her share of medical insurance go up $200.00 and her school district is giving them 15 unpaid furlough days.
I guess my grail plans will be on hold until things turn around a little. I really feel for my friends ,in construction, like yourself. People are just putting off projects and not psending money.
Kevin
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeMon Sep 27, 2010 11:15 pm

merichar wrote:

Same here - I've been very fortunate in these times and I remain starkly aware that it could change for me at any time. Still, my tastes have evolved to more careful less emotional impulse purchases in addition to higher quality pieces that tend to police themselves from excess. Sure there is still a fun/TV watch here and there, but far less than a year ago and infinitely more rewarding in the end.
Back to top Go down

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:40 am

I'll toss my hat in the ring and also note that I've been fortunate.......to still have a job. The past three years have not been good ones for the RV industry.....

While I haven't bought but one watch in the last year — courtesy of "youse guys," who just had to go and post the shots of that Dee & Ricky G-Shock — my accumulation is still much too unwieldy. Will cull 'em down as time permits, but haven't had the opportunity of late: I'm moving to Indiana next month (to Elkhart, the epicenter of the known RV universe) and buying a house there, so the mind has been elsewhere.....

Sure is nice, though, to see how much house 150k will get you in the "real world" — i.e., away from the coasts....

Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 11:45 am

Good luck in your move dude!

this economy  Empty
PostSubject: Re: this economy     this economy  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

this economy
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: