The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Empty
PostSubject: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:23 am

Many of the new Zixen watches, IMO, beg the question as to why "we" RIP on some companies doing HOMAGES and others we embrace...?

People are typically APPALLED at most Panerai or Rolex (even the really good ones) homages but embrace the new Zixen models...

...isn't that kind of hypocritical?

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 10:57 am

Don't think the watches Joe has honored are still in production, can't say that about a panerai Pam model or a rolex sub! Think that is where the line is, he is honoring divers from the sixties while puting his flair and sizing them for today's taste. While replica watches are a pure knock off and in most cases the same size. I've got a watch (Ritmo Mundo) that most definately took alot from panerai while the dial, hands and crown guard systems are different! Watch was only made one year so maybe panerai thought it to be a little too close! Again I feel Joe has brought back pieces from the past and it doesn't hurt that they are very, very well made!

Last edited by cali kid on Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 2:18 pm

I think Trevor may have really hit on something with Zixen focusing
on watches from the past, which are out of production ! ..This way
it is more of a tribute, or respect, and that's probably what makes it
a little different. Still, often find myself liking or embracing most of the
watches out there to tell the truth ! alien

merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:31 pm

Trevor has a point but there is more to it in my opinion. There are a lot of people who are very hypocritical when it comes to certain brands. People who have bought into a brand tend to get a little sensitive and think that their brand owns a particular style or even case shape. Its not even a prestige brand thing-you'll find fanboys for brands across the spectrum of watches. That and there is a lot of disinformation spread on watch forums by people that are as phony as a Canal Street replica.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:35 pm

merichar wrote:
Trevor has a point but there is more to it in my opinion. There are a lot of people who are very hypocritical when it comes to certain brands. People who have bought into a brand tend to get a little sensitive and think that their brand owns a particular style or even case shape. Its not even a prestige brand thing-you'll find fanboys for brands across the spectrum of watches. That and there is a lot of disinformation spread on watch forums by people that are as phony as a Canal Street replica.

BOOYAH!

+1

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:37 pm

I would agree with tribute or homage watches IF the company approached the original manufacturer and asked permision to make it.

Are they doing this? No way in hell! Why? Because nobody would approve of it.

This is why I question these "homage" watches. They are not made out of respect for the original but rather because they can turn a profit by making them.

You want to make a true homage then get a written statement to include in your packaging saying you have the backing of the company you are "paying respect" to.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeTue Sep 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
I would agree with tribute or homage watches IF the company approached the original manufacturer and asked permision to make it.

Are they doing this? No way in hell! Why? Because nobody would approve of it.

This is why I question these "homage" watches. They are not made out of respect for the original but rather because they can turn a profit by making them.

You want to make a true homage then get a written statement to include in your packaging saying you have the backing of the company you are "paying respect" to.

Damn, ANOTHER good point...

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 2:16 am

Crazy, because I mentioned the same thing in the "explain the micro brand craze" thread.

Here is my take on it, micro brand or not, when it comes to homage watches there truly is a big difference. The big difference IMO is, only the original brand can make a homage of a watch they produced before (i.e. Tag Monaco, PAM127, PAM249...), every other watch that looks like a certain design is a look-a-like (i.e. Ocean7, MarinaMilitare, Margarite, LumeTec...).

Now to touch on the hypocrisy between the look-a-likes that are embraced and those that are RIP'd... well we all know that when group A (that has a certain status and are well respected collectors) start collecting particular brands of watches than it is considered ok. On the other hand when group B (collectors with less status and or not so well respected collections) starts collecting a particular brand than it is considered less than admirable.

I remember when I first bought my Marina Militare 217, people that held Panerai in a very high esteem and or owned Panerai in their collections considered me the antichrist. Of course I admit there was a very big following in a very short time that resulted from a few pics and a nice write up. Had you asked those that frowned on the marina look-a-likes, you would have thought I was personally responsible for Panerai's lost revenue.

Of course I admit I did have a blast being the antichrist and ruffling some feathers... but that's just me Wink
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitimeThu Sep 30, 2010 7:21 am

That last line would make a good "sig line" Guy... Twisted Evil

PostSubject: Re: Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?   Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some we loathe, some we embrace...WHY?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: