The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...

Go down 
+4
AtomicTom
ramirez1970
Northwestguy
Anomaly
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Empty
PostSubject: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 6:08 pm

Everyone knows of my recent issues with watches, dust, lint, mis-aligned hands and the like. I hear people say, "well those micro brands don't have dust free environments to work in like the major brands..."

Well yesterday out of no where (or I have just never noticed it before), I noticed something on the crystal of my LM-7 and sure enough...inside; lint, debris, whatever...

Anyhow, since the watch is not covered under warranty as the second owner anyway, I decide to open it up myself and clean it out.

With a $5.00 case back remover, a push pin, and a pair of long tweezers, I get the caseback off, remove the crown, take out the movement, clean inside, get the movement back in, re-insert the crown (that part was a BITCH), put the case back on and WHAM, crystal is clear as...CRYSTAL...and NO LINT!

Now if I can do this at home with $5.00 worth of tools, a SWIFFER cloth, and polishing rag, WHY CAN'T THEY?????????????

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 6:36 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Everyone knows of my recent issues with watches, dust, lint, mis-aligned hands and the like. I hear people say, "well those micro brands don't have dust free environments to work in like the major brands..."

Now if I can do this at home with $5.00 worth of tools, a SWIFFER cloth, and polishing rag, WHY CAN'T THEY?????????????

Great question Alan...............maybe a microbrand rep can answer! I'd Love to hear what they have to say.
Back to top Go down
ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Noticeable lint under the crystal, as far as I'm concerned, is simply unacceptable. I've had numerous inexpensive Seiko divers which typically cost much less than most microbrand watches and I've never found noticeable lint under the crystal. Never had a misaligned dive bezel, for that matter, either.

If their QC is so poor, are their dive watches (many of which state that they are WR to 500+ meters) really water resistant to the depths/pressures they claim?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 8:47 pm

First of all, that is more than a little impressive that you were able to basically
take the Ocean 7 apart like that, and fix the problem ! ..I mean the next step
might just be modding watches Alan !!! Smile ..Or maybe even putting different
cases, and movements together to build your own watches like Ron. Maybe
these lint incidents could almost be considered a blessing in disguise because
they are causing you to try some new things with your watches here ! ..As
to why some of the micro-brands don't do this, it's hard to answer really.
Perhaps it's the facilities where they build the watches, or maybe it's that
they are rushing to get watches done, and don't check the quality of things
for defects enough, not sure. In any case, it's a very interesting question,
and I'm sure alot of other people have experienced some of the very same
problems with their watches as well.

andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 9:32 pm

You, Alan, are a Swiffer Ninja!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:58 pm

andrema wrote:
You, Alan, are a Swiffer Ninja!

I am, I had to highlight this post just so you could read it!

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 10:59 pm

I really think a person can find a problem with just about any watch if they look hard enough. Keep in mind that most micro brands build as many watches as Invicta does-zero. They don't typically build them themselves. I imagine a discerning small company owner probably looks the finished pieces over somewhat but even the prestige companies sometimes let stuff get by them. Why is it so forgiveable when a company like say Omega has watches with movements that just stop or need regulation? Not picking on Omega, just recent examples I have read about, so that comes to mind.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeThu Oct 07, 2010 11:08 pm

merichar wrote:
I really think a person can find a problem with just about any watch if they look hard enough. Keep in mind that most micro brands build as many watches as Invicta does-zero. They don't typically build them themselves. I imagine a discerning small company owner probably looks the finished pieces over somewhat but even the prestige companies sometimes let stuff get by them. Why is it so forgiveable when a company like say Omega has watches with movements that just stop or need regulation? Not picking on Omega, just recent examples I have read about, so that comes to mind.

Personally I don't cut ANY watch company slack!

And I will tell you this, when I had over 130 Zodiacs, I had to open ONE cause there was a smudge on the inner crystal...

NEVER had lint in one...

NEVER had misaligned hands, chronohands, or GMT hands...

Hmmm, what is this telling me?

LMAO!

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:23 am

Micro brands suck. And those who buy them are maroons!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:50 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
Micro brands suck. And those who buy them are maroons!

Oh WHATever Mr. Hilfiger!

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:44 am

merichar wrote:

You've touched on the reason. When a company doesn't build there own watches, the company that does it for them will not have the same expectattions/care to do a good job because their name isn't on the dial.

Just like renters. Do they care for their property as much as homeowners? Hell no!

Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 9:55 am

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
merichar wrote:

You've touched on the reason. When a company doesn't build there own watches, the company that does it for them will not have the same expectattions/care to do a good job because their name isn't on the dial.

Just like renters. Do they care for their property as much as homeowners? Hell no!

I buy that to a POINT.

But ultimately, if MY NAME IS ON THE DIAL, I don't care WHO is building it, I or my team would give it a FINAL INSPECTION before it went out...

Maybe I have to hire a few extra people but, how much to I save in shipping cost? labor after the sale and most important, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION upon arrival?

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:05 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:
merichar wrote:

I buy that to a POINT.

But ultimately, if MY NAME IS ON THE DIAL, I don't care WHO is building it, I or my team would give it a FINAL INSPECTION before it went out...

Maybe I have to hire a few extra people but, how much to I save in shipping cost? labor after the sale and most important, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION upon arrival?

The answer is profit margins. Less QC inspection means less cost. Roll the dice hoping most of the watches make it through without issue and have some faith the mfr checked it out. They know some won't pass a more critical eye but maybe that buyer doesn't care and won't send it back. In the end, if theyhave to repair a watch they hope it's less cost than hiring an initial QC inspection team.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 12:09 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Wisconsin Proud wrote:
merichar wrote:

I buy that to a POINT.

The answer is profit margins. Less QC inspection means less cost. Roll the dice hoping most of the watches make it through without issue and have some faith the mfr checked it out. They know some won't pass a more critical eye but maybe that buyer doesn't care and won't send it back. In the end, if theyhave to repair a watch they hope it's less cost than hiring an initial QC inspection team.

Yeah...I suppose you are right.

Well now that I have done this a few times, maybe I will just try to resolve any future issues myself...

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 3:15 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:

yep, in a nutshell
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeFri Oct 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Most brand only are concerned with passing the eye test not until you jump up to Patek, Rolex ,Panerai and the likes do the have to pass the loupe test!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 10, 2010 12:11 pm

This is not the first time I've heard of this kind of thing happening with one of Mitch's watches. IIRC David (DMB) bought a O7 watch and upon closer inspection he noticed a HAIR inside the watch NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... 832207 . But regardless of brand you would think that someone who designs a watch and plans to sell it with their name behind it would do ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING to make sure there are no QC issues of any type.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...   NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NOT giving Micro-Brands any slack...
Page 1 of 1