The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?

Go down 
+8
barnbuilder
max
ramirez1970
smellody
ericf4
sixtysix
PoliMalaka
Anomaly
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Empty
PostSubject: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:37 am

I've done it myself and almost did it again today but decided not to...

Someone gets a new watch or strap and you have the same watch or another version of it, you have the same strap someone just bought. SO...you throw up a pic of
your watch or strap in THEIR thread. Do you see it as just sharing similar taste, sharing enthusiasm or see it as, "hey look, I have one too" and kinda robbing that person of THEIR moment?

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 8:55 am

Nope. Not robbing them of anything. Just sharing that you too like that watch. Post away!

Way too sensitive and tip-toe-y.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:19 am

PoliMalaka wrote:
Nope. Not robbing them of anything. Just sharing that you too like that watch. Post away!

Way too sensitive and tip-toe-y.

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 196544

For someone just reading the post it is great, you get to see different photos of the watch. Maybe in a different color or with a different strap or bracelet. As a poster I think it cool too. If we can't post up pictures when somebody is talking about that watch....when can we?

The only time I can see this is if you are upgrading or downgrading the watch ......posting something like.....'I have the solid 24K gold version, it's way better than yous, my pictures are better, why don't you get a real watch' or 'I have one I use it when I am clubbing baby seals...and I use the case back to sharpen my mower blades'.... Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 591298 Other than that it's OK.

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 9:27 am

I agree not stealing anything. Just sharing in excitement.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:20 am

I think it is flatterym and merely proves that you both have great taste.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:51 am

WHEW...

Glad you guys feel that way...

I just don't wanna ever feel like I am TAKING from someone's moment of sharing their new watch!

Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:07 pm

I agree. Post away. Although, Alan, your pics will most likely be better than the OP's.
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 12:33 pm

If someone starts a thread I take it as an open invitation to comment. If not, why would they post in the first place?

Posting a picture of your similar item is a a compliment that you read the post and thought enough of it to respond.

Ive thought about this before though and take each case individually.

If I thought someone would take offense I would restrain myself but then this would become a political forum. Very Happy

We are all Attention Wh*res when it comes to our watches.
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 1:18 pm

I don't think anyone here would have a problem with it and I wouldn't if someone posted in my new watch thread
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:12 pm

So what do you guys think about posting a comment like this in a new watch thread:

"I had that watch but sold it because it [insert comment here]"

[comments that might be inserted]
kept horrible time.
did not fit my style.
was too big for me.
fell off my wrist/stopped working/etc.
is a watch for jacktastic assbags.

Perhaps another way to say it is do you feel non-hooray posts are ok?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 2:48 pm

If I was a reader of the thread, I would want to see the best pic of the watch. So, if yours is better, post it.

Posting better pictures will get more feedback for the OP so in a way, you've helped them get more attention to their thread.

Nothing worse than having someone brag about a watch then the pics are so fuzzy it can't be recognized.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 3:19 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
If I was a reader of the thread, I would want to see the best pic of the watch. So, if yours is better, post it.

Posting better pictures will get more feedback for the OP so in a way, you've helped them get more attention to their thread.

Nothing worse than having someone brag about a watch then the pics are so fuzzy it can't be recognized.

Good point!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 4:11 pm

I think it's GREAT when others post their pictures of their similar watch
or strap ! cheers ..Definitely is a way to show similar taste, ENTHUSIASM,
and just a nice connection to whatever watch or strap the person just
received. ..Also think it's alright to do what Poli mentioned here as well,
because you are just giving an opinion about your experience with the
watch. Smile

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:06 pm

When you show something and people all give you the "atta boy" "nice watch" or "way to go", you can never be absolutely sure of the sincerity. But if folks post a picture of the same piece that they actually own, at the very least, you know that you're not the only one with shitty taste. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:12 pm

THEtoecutter wrote:
When you show something and people all give you the "atta boy" "nice watch" or "way to go", you can never be absolutely sure of the sincerity. But if folks post a picture of the same piece that they actually own, at the very least, you know that you're not the only one with shitty taste. Very Happy

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 5:18 pm

if someone feels that by you posting a pic of the same watch is somehow taking away from them, they are a PUSSY....Grow a Ball and get a life.....
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:11 pm

I've certainly done this - and have also asked myself the same.
I won't post an excessive number of my own - usually just one.
Just to say - hey I've got one too.

Sharing common interest is what it's all about to me.
Also good to see a strap mod variation on the same watch.
Often they just ordered it and don't actually have it yet.
Hope my pic helps to hold 'em over till it arrives.

I say have at it.
Back to top Go down
Breez
Associate
Breez

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 19, 2010 10:33 pm

I agree its just sharing. Or at least I hope it is. I do the same thing. I usually don't post a pic but I am like "hey I got that exact same watch." "We are watch buddies."

Watch Buddies??????? Man that sounds lame. Oh well.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 12:55 am

Thanks for bringing this up Alan. I have felt a little guilty because on some occasions I have posted that I have the same watch and threw in a pic and then on many other occasions I have held back from posting the same watch that someone has just received and is posting about. I felt I would be robbing their thunder. In fact.......this happens all the time with me and the reason is simple.......................I own all the exact same watches that everyone else has. In fact, I have every variation including straps, etc. I still feel that it would be bad on my part to post the same watch that someone else is posting about. So I just end up saying "congrats" and Great Choice!" ...........and all the time I am chewing at the bit wanting to post the same and say I have that too! At least now, I feel a ton of weight has been lifted from my shoulders and all of you know the difficulty I have been living with.........it's all out in the open. Please folks, do not be afraid to post any new watches or straps or anything. I will continue to contain myself. BTW, just so you know, I own every watch that was ever made.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 8:35 am

It always pisses me off when i show my seawolf and then you put your studio quality pics in the thread....... Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 60498 Wait you had yours first, just forget you read that boss! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 803975

John, show those bad dudes off, thats what we are here for anyway to check out some sweet watches, the more the merrier! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 74725
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:12 am

Northwestguy wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up Alan. I have felt a little guilty because on some occasions I have posted that I have the same watch and threw in a pic and then on many other occasions I have held back from posting the same watch that someone has just received and is posting about. I felt I would be robbing their thunder. In fact.......this happens all the time with me and the reason is simple.......................I own all the exact same watches that everyone else has. In fact, I have every variation including straps, etc. I still feel that it would be bad on my part to post the same watch that someone else is posting about. So I just end up saying "congrats" and Great Choice!" ...........and all the time I am chewing at the bit wanting to post the same and say I have that too! At least now, I feel a ton of weight has been lifted from my shoulders and all of you know the difficulty I have been living with.........it's all out in the open. Please folks, do not be afraid to post any new watches or straps or anything. I will continue to contain myself. BTW, just so you know, I own every watch that was ever made.

LMAO!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:14 am

cali kid wrote:
It always pisses me off when i show my seawolf and then you put your studio quality pics in the thread....... Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 60498 Wait you had yours first, just forget you read that boss! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 803975

John, show those bad dudes off, thats what we are here for anyway to check out some sweet watches, the more the merrier! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 74725

I'm looking at this watch now so I can show up your daylight wrist shots...

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Anonimo_professionale_gmt_3

KIDDING!

Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 11:24 am

Professionale is on my short list. Well see who gets to it first!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeSat Nov 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Wont be me, i like Anonimo but you can keep those HIGH DOLLAR ones, to many other brands i would be on for that kind of coin! I'm always looking for a deal and as good as Anonimo is built the resale value goes into the crapper! BUY USED!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Anomaly wrote:
I've done it myself and almost did it again today but decided not to...

Someone gets a new watch or strap and you have the same watch or another version of it, you have the same strap someone just bought. SO...you throw up a pic of
your watch or strap in THEIR thread. Do you see it as just sharing similar taste, sharing enthusiasm or see it as, "hey look, I have one too" and kinda robbing that person of THEIR moment?

L0l, that came to my mind too a few times but like its said if we can,t share the fact that we have watches and taste in common whats the point of forums!

Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:12 pm

THEtoecutter wrote:

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 lol! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 lol! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 lol! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742 lol! Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 744742
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 8:18 pm

Anomaly wrote:
cali kid wrote:

I'm looking at this watch now so I can show up your daylight wrist shots...

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Anonimo_professionale_gmt_3

KIDDING!

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? 004-6

enough said!;-)
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 9:29 pm

Touche`

PostSubject: Re: Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?   Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bad Taste, robbing someone's thunder, or no big deal?
Page 1 of 1