The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flying under the radar

Go down 
+2
andrema
AtomicTom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Flying under the radar Empty
PostSubject: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeFri Nov 26, 2010 10:51 pm

Ever notice how one of THE BEST things about liking watches, is when it
comes to times like Black Friday, Cyber Monday etc., that watches seem
to fly under the radar ? ..Not that people don't buy alot of watches around
this time of year, but for the most part it seems like you can find the watch
you like without worrying if it's going to sell out. Guess we are lucky that
most people tend to be looking for that popular gadget, video game, toy,
or clothes etc., rather than "that" watch ! Smile ..What do you guys think ?

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:11 am

IMO -- there is a lot if "pack mentality" goes into watch purchases and how difficult it is to find a particular watch. It in itself often creates a sense of urgency at any time of the year. This can happen at different forums and with different brands!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 1:51 am

andrema wrote:
IMO -- there is a lot if "pack mentality" goes into watch purchases and how difficult it is to find a particular watch. It in itself often creates a sense of urgency at any time of the year. This can happen at different forums and with different brands!

Great point about the "pack mentality" theme Mark ! Flying under the radar 46145 DEFINITELY think it occurs with watches like you said sir ! Also think it occurs with everything else too, and because many people are focused on those other things, we might have a little more ease finding the various watches we like. ..If all of a sudden, watches became REALLY popular with everyone else, we would be in BIG trouble !!!lol! ..People might then be standing in line, or going online to track down that particular watch you, or I happen to like ! Shocked

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:16 am

A small percentage of people have/want more than one watch.

Also, while some places like Kohls, Target, etc advertise discounts, the brands found in jewelry stores generally don't give you any bigger discount than any other time of the year. I think people who buy at these stores don't have specific watch in mind but go in to pick from what's available inthe case.

Talking to my AD last year around this time, it is their busiest time for watch sales but it isn't driven by advertising or discounting but rather on luxury buyers wanting to give special gifts.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:36 am

Watches are a little too low under the Black Friday radar for me.
Haven't been able to find any deals for anything on my short list.
I've noticed some items are even higher priced than previous discounts on WOW.
Guess it's all hype.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 2:45 am

andrema wrote:

Amen to that. As to the original question, I believe the holiday season will bring about some good opportunities to pick up used watches. With a lot of people out of work or under employed, many will be looking to move watches to generate some cash for the holidays or just general expenses.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 10:56 am

I shop for watches!! I picked up 3 yesterday. There were actually a few ads down here with several pages of watches. And at JC penney and Macy's there were crowds around the watch/jewlery counters. Mostly looking for the deals in the paper though. Tourneau was actually empty...Watchgear had a couple people in it.

Flying under the radar Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 5:11 pm

WP..Excellent points sir ! Flying under the radar 803574 Think you may have hit on a key point with how people often don't
have a "specific watch" in mind when looking around. If somehow they knew the watch they were
looking for, and began going to stores, or surfing online stores for certain watches, then more of
the watches we know or like would sell out much easier that's for sure.

Jaw..Have noticed the same thing with not seeing many deals sir ! Thought for sure there would
be some of those AMAZINGLY unbelievable prices on watches, but for the most part it's been a
little dissappointing. The only thing I have really noticed online has been extended returns, along
with free shipping. Does seem like alot of hype like you said. Hopefully this changes ! Very Happy

Mark..Another awesome idea and thought there ! Smile Used watches are a GREAT option for people.
Especially for those who know and appreciate them. People can sell them, or buy them, and that
way people can find that good deal on a watch, or generate some extra cash like you said. One
thing is for sure, watches won't be flying under the radar at the watch forums !

Gary..Sounds like you did VERY well sir ! cheers Congratulations !!! ..This is a good example of how
watches often fly under the radar as well, because you were actually able to pick up those three
watches yesterday. If others had known about those particular watches you found, they might
have all been gone by the time you went to the store to look for them.

Great points guys !!! ..VERY interesting stuff imho !

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:26 pm

merichar wrote:
andrema wrote:

Amen to that. As to the original question, I believe the holiday season will bring about some good opportunities to pick up used watches. With a lot of people out of work or under employed, many will be looking to move watches to generate some cash for the holidays or just general expenses.

You're right Mark!
Just found my Oris F1 Chrono pre-loved on WUS.
It's been on my list for 6mo - Done.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSat Nov 27, 2010 11:45 pm

jaw wrote:
merichar wrote:
andrema wrote:

You're right Mark!
Just found my Oris F1 Chrono pre-loved on WUS.
It's been on my list for 6mo - Done.

"OH YEAH" Jeffrey! You're gonna really like Oris!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 3:12 am

panatime has a black friday weekend, 35% off everything, i didnt check the deep blue watches! Code....

35% OFF CYBER-WEEKEND SAVINGS EVENT
ENTER COUPON CODE:
'CYBERSALE' AT CHECKOUT
SATURDAY NIGHT NOVEMBER 28th - MONDAY NIGHT NOVEMBER 29th

Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeSun Nov 28, 2010 11:43 pm

That looks and sounds REAL GOOD Trevor ! Flying under the radar 803574 Flying under the radar 803574
This Cyber-Weekend, Monday, and maybe even Week,
seems like it could be pretty FUN ! ..Thanks for finding
this one Trevor !!!!

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 1:28 am

Too late for me, just bought a couple straps from Panatime last week, could of saved a few bucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flying under the radar   Flying under the radar Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flying under the radar
Page 1 of 1