The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Compliments. . .

Go down 
+5
Northwestguy
sixtysix
watchdaddy1
Anomaly
andrema
9 posters
AuthorMessage

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:25 pm

Do they really matter?

You've just bought and/or received your latest watch. The first time out nobody seems to care, even all those people in the office that know you are a watch guy. Do you really care?

Over the years I have seen many people say they like this or that watch, saying "everytime I wear it I get compliments".

I rarely have had anyone notice my watch, or at least say something to me. Those that did are not the least bit interested in watches other than to see something they like. Had these people said to me "you are very handsome!" I would have been flattered, but to notice my watch doesn't really mean much.

Even if somebody grabs your wrist and exclaims "Wow, I LOVE your watch! Where can I get one?" does this really matter? In the end you are, I am assuming, wearing a watch YOU like. Do the opinions of others amount to a hill of beans?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:27 pm

Only once ... at work. I was on a shuttle and a guy grabbed my wrist to look at my Speedy Moon. He was wearing an Omega too -- SMP 2254.

I always look...

Senior Associate
Anomaly

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 12:43 pm

I always look too...

As far as comments go...

...two times since I've been collecting:

Once on a Vostok - don't own it any longer.

Once on my Seawolf.

It's cool to have "you guys" like a watch I have, but we all know watches are like women and we all like different "models..."

But yeah, since I work at home, not many see my watches anyway...

Associate
watchdaddy1

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:01 pm

I always look @ peoples watches but that's probably pretty normal among WIS's,
everyday people really don't notice what I'M wearing, it has happened 2-3 times for me, DOXA 5000T Pro @ the mall he said wow thats ORANGE what is it, & my OMEGA 2234.50 GMT, BUT the man had the "Great White" on, so he come to find out he was a collector himself.
@ work the fellers ask what I'm wearing or have you got any new pieces..I buy for me & only me, but it is nice when you catch the cashier admiring your timepiece
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 2:26 pm

Same deal here...I always look, I have made comments a few times. The only people who seem to notice my watch are the people selling watches or people I talk watches with. Nobody else gives a crap really.

Compliments. . . Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 4:23 pm

Overblown falacy originating on TV watch shows.

99.9% of people don't give a rip about watches yet we are led to believe everyone goes gaga over watches.
Back to top Go down

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:04 pm

You sharpened the point on that, Dan! ;-)

I just think it is ridiculous to care what anyone else thinks about my watch or anything else I own for that matter.

Now, if somebody admired a watch I was wearing and commented on the movement, design and so on I think that would be cool. It would be fun to chat it up with another person interested in watches, but other than that I don't care what others think as long as I'm happy.
Back to top Go down

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 7:34 pm

i always look and every once in awhile will ask about a watch someone is wearing, couple times guy talked about it and others blew me off and the only thing they knew about their watch was the cost (i'm in Carmel and Monterey alot and see some amazing pieces but these people dont know about them, just they are the in thing to own) My guys at work will ask if its new when a package shows up other than that my 16613 Rolex has gotten its share of nice watch but more often it's "is it real"! TV land has made all that crap up and with huge watches people might ask but believe me they are laughing as they walk off! Most could care less!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 10:13 pm

I was at a fairly large dinner gathering a few weeks ago and not one comment about my watch...................no problem from my end but what I did notice was that I and only one other person had a watch on (16 other people did not wear a watch). I really found that to be weird! BTW...........the other guy had on an all black casio digital. We had conversation but none watch related.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Just other watch enthusiasts. Especially Ron, John, DB, Rocky, Tim, and Will.

I had several people compliment my old date sub. One kid had never seen one in real life.
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeThu Dec 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I wear a sign that says ask me about my watch! It's worth more than your mama.

It seems to work.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 12:11 am

This is such a cool topic Furdog ! ..I guess the short answer for myself to this question on whether compliments really matter on our watches would be no. Like you are saying, basically as long as you,
or I like the watch we have on, then that's all that matters in the end. Compliments. . . 803574 For the most part noone
really says anything to me, and even if they do ask me what watch it is, and I say a Zodiac, they
have know idea what that is anyway ! cheers ..If they say they like the watch, that's NICE of them,
and I thank them. However, even if they didn't like the watch, it really wouldn't hurt my feelings.
I mean it's nice to get compliments, especially from people who like watches, but when all is said,
and done, it comes down to whether we like our watches imho.

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 7:43 am

I don't really think about it and people never ask, but I will comment when I see someone wearing a nice watch
Back to top Go down

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 11:10 am

Nice, Eric. ;-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Compliments. . . Empty
PostSubject: Re: Compliments. . .   Compliments. . . Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Compliments. . .
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: