The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Great New Toy!

Go down 
+2
pacifichrono
Northwestguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:20 pm

Hey Y'all! Just received a de-magnetizer from Jake Bourdeau:

Great New Toy! IMG_4120

My Oris Frank Sinatra was running fast.........about 20 seconds in 24 hours. I wondered if it was because I used my dremel tool to buff the case. It did get very hot to the touch. 3 days ago, I was getting ready in the morning and decided I would wear the Sinatra. I pull out the crown, set the date and time and push the crown in to wind. When I went to wind it, the crown was frozen. It felt locked and wouldn't budge. I panicked and tried over and over but no movement. In any case, I was just about to call a watchmaker when I received the demagnetizer that I had ordered from Jake. I immediately opened the packaging and plugged it in. I followed the directions and placed the watch (case back down) on the unit:

Great New Toy! IMG_4121

You then hold down the button for 5 seconds and no more than 10 seconds: In this demo, I did not have the unit plugged in but if it were, you would see the little indicator light go on when the red button is depressed.

Great New Toy! IMG_4122

Then, while continuing to hold down the button, move the watch approximately 1 meter (just over 3 feet) away from the unit and release the button.

When I had the watch on the unit and pressed the button, I felt a vibration for about 2-3 seconds and then it stopped. Thinking back, it may have been the spring unwinding. I immediately went to wind the watch and............................."BINGO" it worked. I was totally amazed and so very happy that I avoided having a costly service. The machine seemed to work as it was supposed to. My guess is that the watch became magnetized by the high speed of the dremel and the heat it generated. Don't know if that is even possible and there certainly may have been other factors as well. The spring became so tight that it eventually bound up and didn't allow the crown to move. I think the vibration I felt was the spring unwinding. It will be interesting to re-time the watch and see how it is running. I'll save doing that til the next day or so or maybe this weekend. In any event, the unit is very inexpensive and I think it is a great tool to have around. My understanding is that watches that are magnetized will run fast (not slow). Contact Jake if you are interested!

Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeThu Jan 20, 2011 11:35 pm

Hey John, that's a great result. I've never had a demagnetizer and I guess I wouldn't even know if I needed one.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:08 am

Wow John ! Is that neat or what ?! Smile What a great play by play of everything
by the way. I'm really glad that this super cool demagnetizer worked. Sounds
like it definitely saved you alot of stress in the long run, and was pretty cool
to see in action as well. Congratulations !!!!

Thanks again for showing us, as well as teaching us about this !

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 12:15 am

pacifichrono wrote:
Hey John, that's a great result. I've never had a demagnetizer and I guess I wouldn't even know if I needed one.

Hey Tom, if your watch is running unusually fast, it may be magnetized. My watch was running fast but I just thought it may be time for a service. It wasn't until the crown bound up that I realized something no good was up. I guess it happens easily from being around speakers, computers or objects that are already magnetized like various tools.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 1:29 am

sweet!!!!
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 7:15 am

Thanks for showing the gizmo! I had seen Jake's ads but had no idea what they looked like...great that it worked on your watch!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 9:58 am

Cool that you could fix it!

What happens if you hold it up to your head?

bounce

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:20 am

Anomaly wrote:

bounce

I wouldn't recommend that...I understand that de-magnetizing watch freaks results in a stunning personality reversal...you stop hanging out at watch forums, your credit card bills become remarkably light, you pay more attention to the missus and start doing things like taking out the trash and cleaning the rain gutters without being asked. You even begin to "forget" to strap one on in the morning and instead see nothing wrong with pulling out your cell phone to see what time it is.

I'd rather opt for shock treatments.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 10:33 am

lol!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitimeFri Jan 21, 2011 11:31 am

25or6to4 wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

bounce

I wouldn't recommend that...I understand that de-magnetizing watch freaks results in a stunning personality reversal...you stop hanging out at watch forums, your credit card bills become remarkably light, you pay more attention to the missus and start doing things like taking out the trash and cleaning the rain gutters without being asked. You even begin to "forget" to strap one on in the morning and instead see nothing wrong with pulling out your cell phone to see what time it is.

I'd rather opt for shock treatments.

YOWZA!

Great New Toy! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Great New Toy!   Great New Toy! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Great New Toy!
Page 1 of 1