The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Not New, not even sure i know what it is??

Go down 
+3
TAZMAN64
sixtysix
Anomaly
7 posters
AuthorMessage

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Empty
PostSubject: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:43 pm

Back on EBAY and got into some crazy section and found this piece, it had a buy now or make offer...... being the tight-ass i am make a silly offer and its excepted!!! Anyway the watch is a diver/ couple other things, Got the brand name on the dial of Basis and its a 17 jewel hand cranker with a scew in caseback with a diver on it (not even sure if its the correct back all it says is stainless steel? Has a rotating inner dive bezel that works off the crown between 1 and 2, Tritium that still has a nice glow to it, 43mm octagon shaped case and the weirdest outer bezel ive seen, got a tachy that doesnt have a chrono hand and the outer, outer bezel is unidirectional and has cities on it... from my view you set it to the city in your timezone and then you can see the time in these other places be looking for the city! Has a domed and i mean domed arcylic crystal and keeps super good time, came on a strap that looked like elephant and the guy said it was 100 bones but i put it on a bond style nato! Weird watch. cool watch and ive done some digging and have found the Basis 17J movement and some very weird cases.... think i would put this in the 70's but i'm not even sure about that! PICS

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 100_5195

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 100_5205

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 100_5202

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 100_5200

tried to get a dome shot outside and its raining...... i know!!! so its water drops on the crystal!

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 100_5209
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 1:45 pm

Cool watch, anything on the case back?

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:08 pm

I like it! Definitely 70's looking; I've seen a few similar unknowns on the 'Bay, have yet gotten up enough nerve to snag one. A lot of the ones I saw had a SS case back, but the actual case was base-metal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 6:24 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Cool watch, anything on the case back?

Would show you but it so tight to get the nato on i dont want to screw around another 1/2 hour! Has a guy diving with a fish in the water and says stainless steel? Opened it up and the movement is a 17J basis movement that says Swiss Made for whatever thats worth??Very small dial with all the bezels, i would say its smaller than the doxa 1000 dial! Anyway for what i paid for it from a guy down in San Diego and good as the time keeping has been i will keep it and wear when i want an interesting piece to wear! Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 252943
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:17 pm

It's 1970's for sure! Looks like something I would buy. Great piece, have never seen another...I do have some cool impulse buys myself, though. Congrats!

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 9:53 pm

Looks great trevor, Congrats and enjoy it. Impulse buy's can be hit or miss, you got a hit with this watch!! Steve
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 10:52 pm

Very cool Trevor and VERY unique.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:30 pm

I like it a LOT!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeFri Feb 25, 2011 11:57 pm

See now THIS is what I'm talking about Trevor ! Woohoo !!! Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 933578 These vintage retro watches
like this are BEYOND COOL imho. Cool Cool Getting the chance to learn about, and then pick one
up, is just fantastic. To be totally honest, it's a really great example of the different levels of
this hobby. I mean there are all of these watches from so many different companies old, and
new, known, and unknown that it's sometimes hard to believe. Often times we find ourselves
focusing on a favorite brand, or main brand of watches, but finding THESE kind of watches
is just as FUN, if not more I think. They genuinely open your eyes to what is, and has been
out there. They also help you uncover new things about the hobby, and keep things fresh
also. THIS watch is one of the things that makes this hobby EXCITING. It shows that there
is alot about this hobby to find out about, and discover. ..You can never really learn enough,
or know everything, and that's one of the many things to be grateful about with watches,
or this hobby in general sir. ..Now with this particular watch here, things really can't get
any more interesting, or cool. Have honestly been discovering alot of similar vintage watches
out there like this one lately also, and THIS one looks like a REAL TREASURE you found Trevor ! Smile
Don't really know too much about Basis either, but the theme of the watch seems to be in line
with many of the BREATHTAKING, as well as EXTRAORDINARY vintage/retro watches of the past.
There is just this unbelievably DIFFERENT feel, and charm to these kinds of watches imho.
They may not be immediately recognizeable, or have a BIG brand name on the dials, but they
still have an AMAZING amount of originality, as well as charm. This alone could make a watch
like this be one that belongs at the center of a collection. Again, it might not have as big a
name on the dial, but it's definitely unique enough to compliment ANY collection sir. ..Just
taking a look at the dial for instance is an enjoyable adventure with that extra wide chapter
ring. The way in which it moves so far into the dial is EPIC, and it even manages to pull the
look of the bezel into the dial also. Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 46145 It's really pretty REMARKABLE ! ..Again, it's a look
that we don't really see much if at all, and the whole vintage/retro theme makes that much
more of a treasure I think. The dial just keeps surprising as the chapter ring pushes the center
dial into such a unique, as well as eye-catching position. Each block-like marker adds in it's
own personality, but also adds to the uniquely cool look of the watch. Also think the various
colors used are very ingenious TOO ! The white, blue, orange, greenish white, silver, and gray
all help make things more exhilarating. It's really something to see how everything comes together
with this one Trevor. It's definitely something different, and VERY special ! From the funky sportiness
of the chapter ring, markers, and accent colors, to the classy hands here, this one is remarkable.
Even this bezel, and case is something to behold. There is that great tachmeter bezel with all of
markings, and cities that adds even more personality to the watch. While the shape of the case
becomes even more noticeable because of that bezel, and dial also. Can't believe how it almost
seems to curve, or wrap around your wrist, and those crowns honestly seem to be in the perfect
positions for comfort as well ! Yowza ! Smile This watch is very different, Trevor, but it's VERY COOL,
and one to genuinely be appreciated imho. Everything about it is ENJOYABLE ! From the case, and
dial, to the crowns, and excellent strap which works really well with the dial. This Basis of yours
is REMARKABLE in more ways than you can see, or count. It's honestly a REAL TREASURE sir !
Congrats on finding such a watch, and as always, I hope you enjoy it !

Remarkable watch, and of course PICS !

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:12 am

Man that's Wacky.
No surprise Tom(PC) likes it. Very Happy

Last edited by jaw on Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:24 am

Say Trevor, if the lug width is 20mm or more, you could strap it with a "shark" mesh bracelet:

Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? REG-DC2020-004SD
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 5:07 am

AT, you can make everything sound great! I really dig under the crystal,the dial rocks! still not sure the two outer bezels belong on the watch but still cant picture what should be on the watch since the inner bezel is a rotating dive bezel! Tom, think its 19mm so i could get a 20 mesh on it, have one but i blasted it but still might put it on to see if mesh is the answer! I guess the main thing is (to me ) i got a cool, unique, straight up weird watch for under 200 bones so you dont always have to send a bunch to get something interesting!!! jocolor geek Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 252943
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitimeSat Feb 26, 2011 3:02 pm

cali kid wrote:
AT, you can make everything sound great! I really dig under the crystal,the dial rocks! still not sure the two outer bezels belong on the watch but still cant picture what should be on the watch since the inner bezel is a rotating dive bezel! Tom, think its 19mm so i could get a 20 mesh on it, have one but i blasted it but still might put it on to see if mesh is the answer! I guess the main thing is (to me ) i got a cool, unique, straight up weird watch for under 200 bones so you dont always have to send a bunch to get something interesting!!! jocolor geek Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 252943

Really IS a great watch Trevor ! Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 803574 Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? 803574 Also think all of the parts work so well on it that it's
hard to picture the watch any other way. That dial, bezels, along with case shape each bring
even more personality to it.

By the way, I forgot to say that that domed crystal was INCREDIBLE as well. Definitely fits right
in with the look, and feel of this one with it's sci-fi/dive theme. ..Amazing pictures of it also !
That one with the water droplets on it REALLY shows the shape.

Honestly is one especially cool, unique, and VERY interesting watch like you said sir ! ..Enjoy !

PostSubject: Re: Not New, not even sure i know what it is??   Not New, not even sure i know what it is?? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not New, not even sure i know what it is??
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Who Are You, What Did You Just Get, What do you have? :: New Arrivals-
Jump to: