The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

My first vintage Hamilton project

Go down 
AuthorMessage

My first vintage Hamilton project Empty
PostSubject: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:04 pm

Been working long and hard on this, my first Hamilton 917 recase project! First complication came in a broken fourth wheel shaft, replaced easy enough. Then came a problem with my third wheel, also a broken end pin. Got them switched out fought long ad hard with the gear train and finally got it back together; thanks to Ron for all his insight! THEN...I found that the roller jewel had disappeared into that nether world of lost watch bits. Still searching for a replacement (have no idea the size, don't have a way to measure). I have a couple other 917's so just put that one aside and grabbed another. Now the dial issues: wasn't sure what I wanted to do for a dial. Was hoping to grind the dial to size and rotate it to fit a Radiomir case..was not working. Decided on a plain dial (the same that Tourby uses actually, friend gave it to me) and affix the original Hammy dial numbers to it. I wasted a lot of time trying to make some sort of name plate; way too much work for my limited tools and skillset. So...opted for decals. I found some model railroad lettering at the local hobby shop. Tried that but what a PITA cutting and aligning them! In the process i screwed up the dial and had to strip it to brass. Gold on brass looked like crap so I tried painting the original numbers....nope no good. Paint flecked off. SO...painting the dial was the next step in my journey into madness. First tries, as expected, were crap, so stripping sanding and repainting were inevitable. Unfortunately, the pattern in the middle of the dial got fragged....so, i had to totally strip and sand it smooth, except for the ridge edges. Got an airbrush, some nice paint and did it right. Then I saw a couple of post here about waterslide decals and decided to try that. Used Inkscape and made a logo and chapter rings and got it all together...so here's where I am today...just need to case it up; waiting to see how well it runs before I finish it all up.

Some pics of the process:

My first vintage Hamilton project Dial-1
My first vintage Hamilton project 001
My first vintage Hamilton project Projdial1-1
My first vintage Hamilton project Dial1
My first vintage Hamilton project Hamdial3
My first vintage Hamilton project Hamdial4

The movement seems to occasionally bind up, not sure if its hands hitting, dial rubbing...something simple I believe. 99% done tho...what a relief! Thanks again to Ron for his input!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeSun Mar 27, 2011 11:49 pm

Looking good Chris! Sweet project!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 12:43 am

That is So cool...keep going!

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 am

Really nice. I wish I could do stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 5:23 am

Nice, I need to do this sometime. A lot of work for sure but it looks awesome!

My first vintage Hamilton project Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 10:07 am

Thanks guys! As luck would have it there is STILL a gremlin in the works. Looks like a broken pin on the balance staff, not sure if it's something I can replace. I can get the staff but not sure if it's doable by a noob without all the right tools...
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2011 2:16 pm

Chris, it's so cool that you can do this ! Cool Really is like taking the hobby to a different
level imho. Most times we look to learn about watches, or buy them, but knowing how
to build a watch must be too cool. Must really allow you to appreciate watches, along
with what actually went, or still goes into making them. ..You have a REAL talent sir !
Keep up the great work, and thanks for showing all of these fantastic pics ahead of time
like this.

barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 1:41 pm

looks good so far Chris!

the balance staff is a hard one to replace, I had to make a jig out of aluminum to get the wheel off and roller. there is a guy that sells them out of the east coast, can't remember his name and some pop up on ebay
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:47 pm

barnbuilder wrote:
looks good so far Chris!

the balance staff is a hard one to replace, I had to make a jig out of aluminum to get the wheel off and roller. there is a guy that sells them out of the east coast, can't remember his name and some pop up on ebay

Definitely not going to try it! Have another movement to switch so hopefully have it all done by Friday.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2011 5:58 pm

Wishing you the best Chris! Looks darn good so far...........looking forward to seeing it complete.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first vintage Hamilton project   My first vintage Hamilton project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first vintage Hamilton project
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: