The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Classic Omega.....

Go down 
AuthorMessage
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:42 pm

I sold/traded a couple of my vintages, scrapped some gold rings and a silver pocket watch case, to get enough scratch to buy this from my buddy who sells antique watches.....it's not perfect looking but it does work perfectly. It's an Omega Speedmaster Mark III, these were made from '71 to '73 and are in the classic 'helmet' (Flightmaster) case. Cal 1040 (Lemania) automatic.

This one has some dial patina, and a few flakes of color are missing, the pushers are marked up a bit, but all in all it's a cool piece. I will be on the look out for a new dial and some pushers...or I could send it to Omega but that would cost more than it's worth I assume. It does keep perfect time and all dials and chrono work perfectly and reset properly. I will leave it like this for now and just enjoy the 17mm tall case and looks it gets....

Classic Omega..... 100_1049

Classic Omega..... 100_1052

Classic Omega..... 100_1053

Classic Omega..... 100_1055

Classic Omega..... 100_1057

Classic Omega..... 100_1058

Classic Omega..... 100_1064

Classic Omega..... 100_1065

Classic Omega..... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
mrneddles
Associate
mrneddles

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 7:48 pm

Fantastic watch! Well done and thanks for sharing it.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 8:22 pm

Hey Gary, That is one cool looking omega!! Its great that its keeping such great time and everything works perfectly. i love the shape of the case on this one and im sure you will not see many of these around. congrats and enjoy this one, I sure would. Steve
Back to top Go down

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 9:44 pm

Very cool! I love the aging it has gone thru, would never refinish a dial or hands on a great piece like that!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 10:49 pm

So very Cool Gary! I have been tempted so many times to pick one of these up. Every now and then I see one for sale on the forums and I just haven't pulled the trigger. Yours looks to be in pretty good shape. Great that the movement is working so well. Like the piece a lot!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeMon Apr 18, 2011 11:14 pm

WOW!!! Love it! Congratulations.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:14 pm

Gary, congratulations on being able to find such an EXTRAORDINARY watch here !!! Classic Omega..... 46145
There really is something about vintage watches like this that is so intriguing. Think
it has to do with alot of things to be honest. From the incredible shapes, and overall
designs, to the charm, and character they have. Also think they are great because
they are the originals ! ..I mean just to see companies back then have the imagination
to create such amazing designs like this unbelievable imho. They didn't have a ton of
other watch companies to look at for inspiration, or ideas. So seeing what watches
like your classic Omega here ended up looking like is even more impressive when
you really stop, and think about it. Smile It really IS an extraordinary watch !!! The case
is probably the first thing that you notice, and there are so many things TO notice
that it's hard to believe. Guess the overall shape when you first look at it is what
is so stunning first of all. It's kind of oval, but at the same time isn't. ..The way in
which it seems to be doing one thing, and then throws something completely different
at you is one of the things that really makes this watch so GREAT imho. You start
to think the case is oval, but then you discover that it bends outward, and upward
looking almost like a mechanical volcano. The manner in which this Omega rises up
off of the wrist is simply astonishing. Again it something to see, because I don't think
there were many other watches, if ANY that looked like this. So the fact that a watch
could, or would like this is REALLY extraordinary. Especially when remembering that
this was a while ago, and must have been even more groundbreaking as a result
Gary. Honestly can't get over all of the shapes, angles on the sides, along with ends
of the case with this one. Add in the super cool volcanic shape, and this watch really
couldn't get any cooler sir. However, this Omega doesn't stop with a cool case. It
adds in some of the most eye-catching of crowns, and pushers first of all. ..Then
begins the adventure that is the dial ! The chapter ring is one of the very first things
to notice with it's extra wide width I think. Yowza, that is TERRIFIC ! Just love all
of the numbers, and markings with the tachymetre, along with the dark blue color.
Genuinely seems to remind you of the ocean, or maybe even outer space when
you look at the dial as a whole. Just seems like along with shape, along with color
of the dial that there is something special happening with this one. That sense of
depth seems to contribute to the feeling as well. The way the numbers seem to
be spread around the inner part of the dial make it look like they are farther away.
Almost like they are floating out in space ! alien The other markings on the outer edge
of the dial help complete the look, while the sub-dials act as a couple of extremely
cool looking satellites. It's once again ..EXTRAORDINARY, and so is the pristine look
of this bracelet, along with remarkable looking case-back Gary ! What A FIND !
Congratulations to you once again, and as always, ..Enjoy !

Extraordinary watch, along with PICS !

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 2:37 pm

very nice!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 3:48 pm

Great case...

Think is is what the most recent Zinex watches are modeled after...

Consigliere
sixtysix

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeTue Apr 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Thanks guys!! Tom...I noticed the 'mechanical volcano' look as soon as I put it on.

I had been looking at this one for a while. I think I saw it last fall in his display...I kept putting it on and it was too tight even back in February...I really didn't want to have to get links for it...but since I have lost some weight, this baby fit perfect when I tried it on. I told my wife I was going to wear it all day Saturday, and then decide if it was for me. I only had to wear it for a few hours on Friday and we made a deal..... Laughing

I almost bought a Rolex too....I still might......

Classic Omega..... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeWed Apr 20, 2011 2:39 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Thanks guys!! Tom...I noticed the 'mechanical volcano' look as soon as I put it on.

I had been looking at this one for a while. I think I saw it last fall in his display...I kept putting it on and it was too tight even back in February...I really didn't want to have to get links for it...but since I have lost some weight, this baby fit perfect when I tried it on. I told my wife I was going to wear it all day Saturday, and then decide if it was for me. I only had to wear it for a few hours on Friday and we made a deal..... Laughing

I almost bought a Rolex too....I still might......

Really is an unforgettable looking case, and watch Gary ! ..Keep enjoying it sir ! Smile

Senior Associate

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitimeThu May 26, 2011 5:11 pm

Those dials are really attractive! I had a similar one in the 70s....the left subdial showing day/nite had turned me on ! hahaha!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Classic Omega..... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classic Omega.....   Classic Omega..... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Omega.....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Vintage Watches-
Jump to: