The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WHY do we keep buying so many watches?

Go down 
+3
AtomicTom
TAZMAN64
Anomaly
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Empty
PostSubject: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 6:58 pm

10, 20, 30, MORE watches in our collections...?

Some guys play guitar, do you have that many guitars?

Some guys have guns, do you have that many guns?

Do we REALLY love watches that much or is it because the chase is bigger than the kill?

Does the WOW factor wear off and so we need another FIX?

I get loving watches...I love watches but the MASSIVE collections now astound me...

If a watch loses its BUZZ, sell it, get a new buzz.

I am NOT knocking loving watches, but if you have dozens sitting in cases that get worn twice a year or less, sell them, get something else, don't amass simply to amass...

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Alan, i have to agree with you that the chase is sometimes better than the catch. I have reached the point when i would rather have a few kick ass watches than 100 so so watches. Now ive been thinking of selling off some to buy the one!!! special watch, something like BP Fifty fathoms. Then i think why do i need a 10k watch??? i meen i dont make a lot od money anymore, i was hurt on the job 11 years ago and was told my working day's are over!!!!! I think ive done well just to have owned the watches that i have. In a way it is a sickness, i never have been the type of person who has to keep up with other people. Just because mr. smith has watch x does not meen i have to have one better. But i want the good stuff, there in lies the sickness!! i dont think(for me) there will ever be a end to wanting one better than i already have, i think its just human nature, to want to out do your self, even if its something as simple as a watch. Now that i know this i think im good were im at, im not saying that i wont buy any more watches, but one in and one out. im down to pretty much wearing 4 watches out of the 20 i own, so i will be selling some as soon as can motivate myself to list them. Steve
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:05 pm

I truly believe the chase is the best part, like the journey being better than the destination or how some times a great book has a let down of an ending...

My Kool-Aid days are long past so I no longer have the desire to boast of a collection in the double digits. I have been focusing on builds as of late; as soon as I'm done I can't wait to get going on the next. I guess it's the same thing.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 9:18 pm

What a cool topic Alan, and it's one of those questions that really doesn't have any one
right answer I guess. Think in a way it's related to how we have always said to eachother;
"buy what you like", and as long as you like a watch that's all that mattered. Same kind
of thing can be said for the way people collect watches too, but in this case it would be
to collect the way you like ! Smile There are countless people who love watches, and also
countless ways to enjoy watches for those people. ..Some people enjoy having a few
watches, some people enjoy having quite a few watches, and other people enjoy having
many many watches. It's honestly really difficult to put a finger on why exactly we keep
buying watches. The short answer might be because we like, love, or enjoy them I guess.
At the same time there is no doubt that the other reasons you, Steve, and Chris mentioned
definitely come into play as well. That feeling of the chase, or even the WOW factor are
all a factor. Plus when we all get to see, and learn about the different watches we are
all picking up, things get that much more interesting for everyone also. cyclops So that could
be part of it too. In the end, the answer to your question probably has as many variations
as there are variations of watches.

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeWed Jun 08, 2011 11:07 pm

My desire to acquire has really diminished. The importance I once placed on a watch is no longer there. I own 15 at the moment. I love watches but I no longer "crave." There certainly are some brands that I would love to own but, I am not going out of my way and I am in no hurry to get them. I would like to decrease my numbers to around 7 but right now, I really like all that I have and they all get wrist time. My interest in the forums has also lessened. Sometimes I feel the sites are "same old, same old" yet I really like the folk who are on these sites and that keeps me interested. I guess I should really say that I do learn something new every now and then and I do appreciate that so, let me re-state: the sites are more like"same old, some new." I've been through 120 -130 watches and more money than I care to even think about.........I have kept all my receipts and it is UNBELIEVABLE! I do foresee in the near future a smaller collection. At present, I seem to be more into straps/bracelets................ changing them out and getting new looks for the watches I currently own.......and I am having fun doing it. I'll always love watches but they are no longer my only life.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 1:26 am

I am still collecting even though I have more than I can wear...I am really not sure why. I have a bunch I need to sell, I just have not done it yet. I have reached a stopping point as I have every affordable on my want list. Just a bunch of $2K-$13K pieces, that I may or may not ever own. I am still buying and restoring my vinatge stuff...I see no end in sight for that.... Shocked

WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 1:45 am

Northwestguy wrote:
My desire to acquire has really diminished. The importance I once placed on a watch is no longer there. I own 15 at the moment. I love watches but I no longer "crave." There certainly are some brands that I would love to own but, I am not going out of my way and I am in no hurry to get them. I would like to decrease my numbers to around 7 but right now, I really like all that I have and they all get wrist time. My interest in the forums has also lessened. Sometimes I feel the sites are "same old, same old" yet I really like the folk who are on these sites and that keeps me interested. I guess I should really say that I do learn something new every now and then and I do appreciate that so, let me re-state: the sites are more like"same old, some new." I've been through 120 -130 watches and more money than I care to even think about.........I have kept all my receipts and it is UNBELIEVABLE! I do foresee in the near future a smaller collection. At present, I seem to be more into straps/bracelets................ changing them out and getting new looks for the watches I currently own.......and I am having fun doing it. I'll always love watches but they are no longer my only life.
John, that was very well said and pretty darn close to how i feel at this time. Steve
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 2:34 am

I strive to have a focused collection of watches that I like and offers an investment opportunity. The majority of my watches are vintages that retain or appreciate in value. I've been flipping watches for so long that I've been able to build quality into my collection.

I've lost some interest in forum posting, but still want to build more "value" into my collection.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeThu Jun 09, 2011 11:50 am

Great topic, Alan......
Like many (ok, ok, don't mean to insult anyone...like "some") others, I first became enamored of this hobby/obsession via "TV brands." although that waned, I still remained a collector/hoarder — I just refocused my sights. As such, I own way more than I now want, and will begin selling them off as I get more time to photograph/place ads, etc.
One thing I will note, though, is that my habits/attitudes/philosophy changed drastically since I've moved. In southern California, everything is so friggin' expensive that you become numb...you look at a watch selling for $500-$800 or so, and it seems reasonable compared to the cost of housing, insurance and everything else on the Left Coast.
Now that I live in northern Indiana, though, my perspective has changed. Before, a $600 watch looked reasonable compared to a $1400 monthly rent payment or a house payment in multiples of that. Now, I look at that same $600 watch and ask myself, "Is that really equal to nearly a whole month's mortgage payment?" And the answer usually comes up "Hell, no!"
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitimeFri Jun 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I seem to buy watches in bunches... The problem is, I start researching a few different ones to compare them. The next thing that I know, I am buying two or three of them.

However, I do have some restraint...it isn't like I have over 20....more like 15 nice watches, which all get worn (eventually Smile). If it doesn't get worn, it eventually will go. In order to keep one, in my mind I must love the watch and not have anything that I dislike or wish was different.

The one thing that I have done to stem my purchases is to embark on a mod project. I almost have all of the parts and tools at this point. I am just waiting for some silicone grease and another set of hands with C1 lume...then all hell will break loose!

I sure hope that I like it in the end Smile

PostSubject: Re: WHY do we keep buying so many watches?   WHY do we keep buying so many watches? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHY do we keep buying so many watches?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: