The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Son meets the Father...

Go down 
+4
barnbuilder
Anomaly
AtomicTom
pacifichrono
8 posters
AuthorMessage
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

The Son meets the Father... Empty
PostSubject: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Today I introduced my new 44mm Strela reissue to my vintage 36mm Strela from the 1970s. This vintage Strela model was the first wristwatch to
participate in a space walk. It was equipped with the 19-jewel Poljot 3017 column wheel manual chronograph, essentially a Venus 150, made from the
Venus machinery purchased by the Soviets in the late 1950s. The reissue has the 25-jewel 31679, which is an updated version of the Valjoux 7733, with
machinery purchased from the Swiss in the mid 1970s.

Here's a little visual comparo. Very Happy

The Son meets the Father... COMP1

The Son meets the Father... COMP2

The Son meets the Father... COMP3

The Son meets the Father... COMP4

The Son meets the Father... COMP5

The Son meets the Father... COMP6

The Son meets the Father... COMP7

The Son meets the Father... COMP8

The Son meets the Father... COMP9

The Son meets the Father... COMP10

The Son meets the Father... COMP11

Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeMon Jun 20, 2011 10:25 pm

It's so neat seeing this side-by-side comparison here Tom ! Very Happy On the one hand,
you get to see, and appreciate the design, and charm of the original Strela. While
on the other hand you get to experience the same themes carried further, as well
as updated in the re-issue. Often wondered why more vintage watches were not,
or are not redone, or continued like this because it's very very COOL ! Cool Thanks
ALOT for giving us a chance to see these two beauties together like this, as well
as for telling us more about them too sir.

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 8:51 am

All watch companies should follow Strella's lead and put out their older watches in 44mm versions!

Great pics Tom!

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:09 am

Your collection never ceases to amaze me Tom; great side by side comparison. I agree Alan...would love to see more reissues in slightly larger versions than the originals.
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 1:07 pm

beautiful watches with great looking movements Tom!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 9:52 pm

Family reunions like this bring a tear to my eye........What a great looking pair Tom! Love them both. Is there one you prefer over the other?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeTue Jun 21, 2011 10:07 pm

very coooooooooooooool
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 2:24 am

Northwestguy wrote:
Family reunions like this bring a tear to my eye........What a great looking pair Tom! Love them both. Is there one you prefer over the other?
Actually, yes. I LOVE my vintage, especially with the new "pilot" strap. I'm gonna sell the 44mm new one; it's just too big on my scrawny wrist. Sad
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 5:35 am

Great post!! Very cool....

The Son meets the Father... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeWed Jun 22, 2011 9:26 am

Very cool!

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 2:26 am

Its great to see the original with the new side by side. They realy did a great job on the re-issue. Which one do you like better?? For myself it would be the new, simply because of its size. Steve
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitimeThu Jun 23, 2011 1:17 pm

TAZMAN64 wrote:
Its great to see the original with the new side by side. They realy did a great job on the re-issue. Which one do you like better?? For myself it would be the new, simply because of its size. Steve
The dial is so large and the bezel so narrow, it looks too big on my sub-7" wrist. Bummer, because it's a great watch (I already listed it on WUS... Sad )

The Son meets the Father... S8
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Son meets the Father...   The Son meets the Father... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Son meets the Father...
Page 1 of 1