The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Empty
PostSubject: Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!   Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 2:35 pm

OK...I have the hour and minute hands set on my project. I tested them for clearance as well as syncronized the date change.

And then I got to the second hand...does anyone have any "words of wisdom" when it comes to setting a second hand on a Seiko?

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!   Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:17 pm

always grab the hands from the sides and not top and bottom to keep from scratching.
set down the dial protector, set your hour hand over the hour wheel stem, gently push on it with your handsetter. If it doesnt go on when your gently applying pressure it might not be alligned properly, never force it you will bend the hands. test to make sure you have the right size tip to go over the minute stem.
Once that is set, set the time to 12, apply the minute hand directly over the hour hand (I do this for perfect aligning because its the only time that looks bad when not perfect) press on the minute but don't get to close to the hour, the top should be set the same height as the cannon pinion

check the level from dial and hour hand
the second hand can be put in any position and it's the hardest one to get over the stem
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!   Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 3:43 pm

barnbuilder wrote:
always grab the hands from the sides and not top and bottom to keep from scratching.
set down the dial protector, set your hour hand over the hour wheel stem, gently push on it with your handsetter. If it doesnt go on when your gently applying pressure it might not be alligned properly, never force it you will bend the hands. test to make sure you have the right size tip to go over the minute stem.
Once that is set, set the time to 12, apply the minute hand directly over the hour hand (I do this for perfect aligning because its the only time that looks bad when not perfect) press on the minute but don't get to close to the hour, the top should be set the same height as the cannon pinion

check the level from dial and hour hand
the second hand can be put in any position and it's the hardest one to get over the stem

Thanks Ron!

I have completed the hour & minute hands. They both seem to be level (or close to level Smile ) and the date change is close to accurate (changes a minute prior)....

I have a couple follow-up's to your advice -- Is there any "wrong way" to set the second hand? Do you test the movement prior to reinstalling it into the case?

Since this is a "non-handwind" movement, I would need to shake it to start...not sure if that is prudent at this point! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!   Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Icon_minitimeWed Jul 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Ditto with the side grab technique! There are curved tweezers to make it easier...I wish I had a pair setting the seconds hands has been a real PITA without them. Just be careful when setting it that you don't push too hard and snap that pin..done that on a couple Hamilton movements...sucks BAD!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!   Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Setting a second hand...any tips/tricks? HELP!!!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Horological Information :: Parts/Mod Links and Reference-
Jump to: