The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr Rick
Senior Associate

Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Empty
PostSubject: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:19 pm

Thanks Rick! I enjoyed reading that piece and learned a great deal about tachymeters on watches. Since the measurements are based on 1 mile increments, is it correct to say that measuring any speed at a known distance less than a mile is actually a fraction of the speed based on whatever fraction of the mile you are measuring? ie; if I wanted to measure the speed at which someone runs the 100 yard dash (300 feet). I time the runner at 9.8 seconds which ends up around 380 on the tachy scale. Since 300 feet is about 1/20th of a mile (19.2), I would then take 1/20th of 380 and get approximately 19mph?

Last edited by Northwestguy on Sun Aug 07, 2011 8:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Mr Rick
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:29 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Thanks Rick! I enjoyed reading that piece and learned a great deal about tachymeters on watches. Since the measurements are based on 1 mile increments, is it correct to say that measuring any speed at a known distance less than a mile is actually a fraction of the speed based on whatever fraction of the mile you are measuring?

Well lets see. If your tachymeter indicates 120 miles an hour and you have measured the time over 1/2 mile then you would divide the tachy indication by 1/2. So yes, I believe so.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:31 pm

Sorry Rick, I was editing my post......please see above.
Back to top Go down
Mr Rick
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:51 pm

Found this on the net. I believe it validates your calculations.

Allow me to spare you the hyperbole: Usain Bolt is fast. He is, as far as we can tell, the fastest human who's ever lived — in 2009, at a race in Berlin, he ran the 100-meter dash is 9.58 seconds. This translates to an average speed of just over 23 mph (with a top speed closer to 30 mph). His '09 performance in Germany was .11 quicker than the 9.69 he ran at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, the fattest chunk ever taken off a world record at that distance. Considering the unadulterated simplicity of his vocation and the historic magnitude of his dominance, it's easy to argue that Bolt has been the world's greatest athlete of the past five years. And yet there's an even easier argument to make than that one: Within the next 10 years, Bolt's achievements as a sprinter will be completely annihilated.
(tags: bolt athletics track)
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2011 8:53 pm

That is Wild! One fast human!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2011 7:06 pm

Neat stuff Rick ! A lot of times we might get caught up in if something looks cool,
but it's actually VERY cool to genuinely know how something works like this. By the
way, seems like Heuer really hit a home run with the innovation of making the
tachymeter bezel rotate like that. Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... 46145 Now I know yet another reason why Heuer
is so respected, and has so many fans out there. Thanks very much for the link,
along with info.

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitimeTue Aug 09, 2011 2:23 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......   Everything You Would Ever Want To Know....... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Everything You Would Ever Want To Know.......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: General Watch Discussion...-
Jump to: