The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which do you enjoy more...

Go down 
+2
ericf4
AtomicTom
6 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Which do you enjoy more... Empty
PostSubject: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 2:25 pm

when picking out a watch ? ..Being more spontaneous ? Or having planned to get a watch
for a while ? Do you prefer one way, or does your preference change at different times ?

Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 4:55 pm

i plan but it seems every purchase is based on opportunistic behaviour....I see something for sale, good deal, tickles me the right way....I pounce like a jungle cat...
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeThu Sep 08, 2011 5:58 pm

Usually I have to know something about a watch brand or see a design that intrigues me.....research it.....and then pounce on one if I see it again for sale....
Take the CWC MoD mil watch for instance. Read alot on it, bought a used one and then gave it to my stepson! Missed it! One day a friend in the UK got one in a batch buy. Too small for his taste, he cleaned it up, installed a new battery and black nylon Zulu and posted it. I pounced on it and offered a trader, which he accepted!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 1:42 pm

Awesome Eric, and Thian ! Seems like for many of us, planning works really well, but it's
still enjoyable to be spontaneous, and pounce once in a while TOO ! Very Happy

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:31 pm

I have a list, when something on the list comes up I buy it (if there is $$ in the bank)....I can add to the list at any time of course. I did just pick up a $100 cheapie the other day. Just because I liked it.

Which do you enjoy more... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeFri Sep 09, 2011 4:41 pm

I find I'm usually and eventually disappointed by spontaneous, emotional, and hurried purchases. I tend to be an emotional consumer anyway - so I have to fight this urge with every fiber of my being.

Much more gratifying to take your time, research, compare, and be certain the watch will hold up to your adoration over the long run. When I do this I am rarely if ever disappointed. I should add that price is irrelevant here, it works for any watch at any price - at least for me.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:23 am

GREAT stuff Gary, and Jeffrey ! Which do you enjoy more... 803574..Gary, the list thing is nice because it always
gets bigger, and you always have a lot of time to find out about the watches
on it. cheers Or you can have a new watch, or watches show up on the list, and
jump to the head of the line like that new one you just mentioned there. ..Jeffrey,
you make a really terrific point about the spontaneous purchases often being
disappointing. A lot of times we get excited, or emotional over a watch, only to
have it possibly not live up to the expectations just like you said. It's really very
interesting when you stop, and think about it, and even though spontaneous
watch purchases can sometimes be fun, it's the ones where you really take
your time, that seem to be very enjoyable.

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 1:48 am

I have a hit list of watches that i want, i do all the reaserch on them and when one comes up at the right price i will get it. Ive always been happy with the watches that i take my time and shop around, the spur of the moment buy's can be dissapointing once you recieve them. I hate asking myself WHY did i buy this thing? So for now on i only buy the watches on the list. Steve
Back to top Go down
ericf4
Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 11:45 am

i guess i could be considered a spontaneous consumer.....reminds me of the time i brought my wifes 2 yr old car into the dealer for a simple oil change.....while waitin for the car i ended up buying a diff new car and left hers there....of course the dealer paid the 40 bucks for the oil change......yeah i know thats bad......
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 10, 2011 2:35 pm

It's so great hearing how everyone has different takes on this. Which do you enjoy more... 46145

Steve, it sounds like your list comes in pretty handy, and from the watches you have been adding
to your collection over the years. Has DEFINITELY worked for you. Which do you enjoy more... 803574 It's great because just as you
said, you can really take your time to pick out the right watch to bring into a collection. Long live
the list ! Very Happy

Have to also say, long live the spontaneous purchase too Eric ! cheers Honestly seems like as long as you
are happy in the end, that's all that matters. I mean just take your amazing, and VERY funny story
about the car. lol! ..That same thing could definitely happen with a watch. It's why spontaneous
watch purchases can also be very enjoyable.

PostSubject: Re: Which do you enjoy more...   Which do you enjoy more... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which do you enjoy more...
Page 1 of 1