The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Empty
PostSubject: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 6:56 pm

A few weeks back, I purchased a banged up Seiko H558-5009. I always wanted to check one of these out and was also interested in fixing up another vintage watch.

So, I ordered: Aluminum shroud, sapphire crystal w/ AR on the inside and a new bezel insert...and then the work began. The "before" picture (pretty, isn’t she!):
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue H558before

The "after" pictures:
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00275
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00278
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00281
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00280
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00278
Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue DSC00279

All in All, I think the end product came out pretty good and it only took about an hour to complete. This was a nice first step for me to test the waters with a Seiko shrouded dive watch at a reasonable price. It was fairly inexpensive as well as easy to work on.

For those interested, here is a little info on the "Arnie": "The Arnie" Seiko H558-5009 The Seiko H558-5009 was the first dive watch to feature a digital alarm chronograph with combination analog display.

Its nickname came about because it was a favorite watch of Arnold Schwarzenegger and he wore it in "Commando" (1985) and "Predator" (1987) In order to build a watch that was rugged enough for the toughest adventures Seiko engineers tested it to -40c and up to +60c.

The "Arnie" was a forerunner to the Landmaster series. It was used on adventures to the North and South Poles as well as by an international team of explorers that climbed Everest in 1988.

With other features such as three time zones, chronograph, alarm and backlight, the "Arnie" is also a great ‘tool’ watch. These days its tricky finding one.

Basic Specifications:

Production date: March 1983.

Diameter: 46 mm (excluding crown).

Thickness: 12 mm. Lug: 22 mm.

Price: $400-500

Source --->>>http://www.uniquewatchguide.com/seiko-h558-5009/

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 8:07 pm

Nice job! I found one from a Panasonic security man who had bought it in 1983 and got it from him for $100usd. But my old eyes had hassles seeing the smallish dial and I sold it.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeTue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm

Man oh man, did this turn out NICE here Mark ! Shocked Very Happy ..You really brought this watch
"back", that's for sure. Smile Now you have a classic, but also another great customized
watch for yourself. It's very cool to see how easy all of this is becoming for you now.
The hardest part must be waiting for the parts to arrive for you. What an IMPRESSIVE
job, along with watch Mark ! Congrats on another successful project ! Honestly think
there is such a mean attitude to this watch. That shroud alone brings a lot of that feel
imho. First it adds an almost other worldly theme with it's different shapes, and angles.
It's a classic style, but somehow still manages to stand out, and separate itself from
most other dive watches out there. Even the way the black in it works with the other
black parts on the watch like the bezel, and dial, or straps is excellent ! ..It's REALLY
something to enjoy ! The entire watch works on so many different levels imho. Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue 803574
Just the new bezel without the shroud looks terrific too. That nice new finish, as well
as the markings are sensational, and it's cool to see how it sets off the dial also. You
can genuinely find yourself appreciating those markers even more as well. Their shapes,
the mixing of them, along with how they are set off by the chapter ring, and overall
depth of the dial is outstanding. That flat section of markers at the top is THE best
as well, and your new sapphire crytsal shows it all of perfectly. Congratulations once
again, and keep enjoying your latest project Mark !

Impressive work, watch, pics, AND info. ..Thanks very much !

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 2:23 am

looks good all cleaned up

hows the lume on this dial?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 7:49 am

barnbuilder wrote:
looks good all cleaned up

hows the lume on this dial?
The lume is pretty weak...that's OK though

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitimeWed Mar 28, 2012 9:25 pm

Nice work Man! That original bezel looks like it was dropped in the garbage disposal. Your first ana-digi?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue   Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project "I'll be back" a/k/a Arnie Rescue
Page 1 of 1