The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Sell Off Bounty

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Sell Off Bounty Empty
PostSubject: Sell Off Bounty   Sell Off Bounty Icon_minitimeWed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 pm

With my big “sell off” I purchased a Gevril 1st Generation Greenwich Chronographs on bracelet.

o Automatic movement: Dubois-Depraz 2025 (base ETA 2824-2)
o Swiss-made chronographs ever made
o 316L and 18K
o YG hour markers, hour, minute and seconds hands, sub-dial hands, ring around the bezel and the outside diameter of the case.
o Case is 39mm
o Height 13mm
o Sapphire crystal
o 51 jewels
o Water resistant to 100m
I really like it. Different than anything else I have. I’ll work on some pictures this weekend, but here is a quick cell phone shot:
Sell Off Bounty 20120425171238
There is a good article about a similar model on the watch collector: http://watchcollector.net/tag/gevril
Below I am copying some of the relevant excerpts:
This Gevril was built between 1995-1998, arguably the crowning achievement during this resurrection of the brand. Today it is considered scarce, and possibly rare. It was produced in an all 316L stainless version, 18k/stainless, and a very few in solid 18k gold.
This model is part of the Gevril series subsequently dubbed “first generation”, a term referring to any Gevril built during the 1990’s era. This is a time in history when Gevril was directly associated with a distributor of luxury Swiss watches, who put considerable financial resources behind the brand. This resulted in some great and internationally patented innovations.
There are many reasons to prize a first generation Gevril, but one of the key reasons in my estimation is the dial. These dials were hand guilloched in Switzerland (as opposed to stamping) with each taking between one to three days to complete, depending on color and gold content. All indexes were individually sculpted, handfinished, and hand applied. it is displayed beneath a glare resistant sapphire crystal.
Each bracelet was also hand built from hundreds of individually handfinished components. In the case of the 18/steel example it would appear that gold was layered onto what one might perceive as smaller rectangle sections, but such is not the case. First of all, those “sections” are actually precisely milled separate hand finished links that nest into the larger master link. Each part featuring gold used a core of 316L steel, which was then wrapped in a thick sheet of 18k gold before being individually finished and polished. Gevril did not adopt a slight ergonomic curve to the reverse side of these links, so you will only see the overall curvature appearing on the obverse. A dual deployant clasp signed for Gevril was the standard for this series.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Sell Off Bounty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell Off Bounty   Sell Off Bounty Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 4:32 am

Really nice dress chronograph! Classy with a great movement...you picked a winner in my book.

Sell Off Bounty Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

Sell Off Bounty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell Off Bounty   Sell Off Bounty Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 12:56 pm

I thought that was new - Very nice and different from your usual taste. Good to get a "real" DD - Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Sell Off Bounty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell Off Bounty   Sell Off Bounty Icon_minitimeThu Apr 26, 2012 2:37 pm

Boy oh boy, this one is a STUNNER Christopher ! cyclops Very Happy The dial, case, bracelet,
and movement are off the charts. It's the kind of watch that can be a centerpiece
for a collection with all of the hand made, and hand finished parts, as well as the
whole rare factor. Even the 51 jewel movement is stunning ! Shocked Congratulations !!!
This is definitely one to like, and enjoy Christopher. The "first generation" theme
alone is REALLY interesting, and just the attention to detail with every part of the
watch is unbelievable. I mean a hand guilloched dial?! Then finding out it takes
days to finish. Yowza ! On top of that, the watch has this nice combination of
styles all working together. It's like Gevril wanted to build a modern day vintage
watch. You can feel the vintage quality with the hands, and also the numerals.
However, there is also a very modern side with the unique shape of the case,
and many of the smaller details like those notches in the bezel, or the classy
style of the crown, and pushers. It's all pretty stunning to be honest Christopher,
and it's easy to see why you have been having your big sell off. Just the whole
style is very captivating. The back and fourth of finishes, the hand guilloching,
the old, and new design elements, and even that INCREDIBLE bracelet ALL make
this a winner sir. Congrats once again, and as always keep enjoying ! Sell Off Bounty 803574

Stunning watch, and PIC of it !

Sell Off Bounty Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sell Off Bounty   Sell Off Bounty Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sell Off Bounty
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Who Are You, What Did You Just Get, What do you have? :: New Arrivals-
Jump to: