The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Hamilton Montgomery Build

Go down 
AuthorMessage
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

Hamilton Montgomery Build Empty
PostSubject: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 2:14 am

First off, I can’t believe this watch really came together. Thanks go to Ron (Barnbuilder) for the idea, pointing out where to find all the parts, casing it up, and being my friend. I also need to thank Ron’s family for loaning Ron for the evening. Ron is an artist; from filing off a micro amount from the diameter of the dial to insure its proper seating in the case to the care provided in insuring the hands were all parallel with the dial, did not rub, lined up perfectly at 12:00, and seated on the shaft. . . Ron is a superlative watchmaker. Ron has created almost the exact same watch, but I will still share my story.

The details:

Dial: Swiss NOS enamel Hamilton Montgomery Dial originally fitted with a Unitas 6497 in a Hamilton commemorative pocket watch from the 1980’s. Found on e-Bay, delivered from Switzerland.

Case: 47mm stainless steel. Sapphire crystals fitted to the front and back. Found at S-K in Germany, delivered in a week and a half.

Movement: Swiss Unitas 6498. Signed and decorated Hamilton. Originally fitted to a commemorative “hunter style” case Hamilton pocket watch from the 1980’s. I was lucky enough to procure this rare movement from Ron. The movement has great decoration, screwed in jewels, and is marked Swiss in on small drill out on the back plate.

Hands: Found at Otto Frei. The red second hand was John’s (Northwest Guy) idea. I picked the “moon” hour and minute hand set. Very happy with this choice since the hands are just the right length and the moon on the hour hand lines up perfectly with the inner ring just inside the row of hour markers. The minute hand perfectly points to each of the 60 minutes clearly printed on this 42mm dial.

Ron is amazing. I’ve pieced together some other builds but in no way have the skills and confidence to work around these precision parts. Ron insists that all the components are actually very durable. I was still a little apprehensive but actually rough fitted the hands with tweezers. But honestly, I had more fun watching Ron work his magic.

So happy with this watch and how it turned out; I love it. For those who don’t already know, my last name is Hamilton. A family heirloom was created tonight. It says Swiss on the dial, but this watch was cased up in West Salem, OR. Sorry for the less than perfect pictures, but I wanted to document the build and encourage anyone who wants to give it a try that it is very possible to build your own watch. Final shot is a wrist shot; I’ll work on some better pictures over the weekend. Enjoy.

Hamilton Montgomery Build 20120515174510
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0470dd
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0480hd
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0490e
Hamilton Montgomery Build 20120515175804
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0483d
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0486e
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0474x
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0488o
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0487s
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0494v
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0496g
Hamilton Montgomery Build Dscn0498wo
Hamilton Montgomery Build 20120515200424
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 4:49 am

It was fun to work on this together Chris, and you are to kind my friend.
the watch is nice looking with the moon hour and minute with the red seconds! I hope you enjoy it for years.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:26 pm

This is honestly BEYOND cool Christopher ! Hamilton Montgomery Build 803574 Hamilton Montgomery Build 46145 Cool All of the workmanship,
planning of everything, figuring things out with friends, and of course the finished
watch are all just really OUTSTANDING ! Can see why you are so proud of how
everything turned out. This is something to really appreciate, and enjoy that is
for sure. Congratulations to you sir ! ..Want to thank you for giving all of the
insight into how Ron, and John (where has that guy been by the way) North
West Guy, cheers helped you out with this project. Really is neat how all of the
different ideas came together so perfectly. The way the different styles of
hands you guys picked out play off this dial is THE best. ..You have this real
flow that seems to be happening with both the red, as well as black accent
themes. Then you also have that classy theme of the numbers, playing off
of the style of the moon hands. With the red second hand bringing in some
extra sportiness, and excitement. It's just GREAT ! ..Also great, is the style
of the case with this Hamilton Chris. It is classic, and it really helps you to
enjoy not only the dial, but also this movement ! cyclops Staying with the movement
for just a second. Just can't believe the decoration, inner workings, along
with shape that it is in. No matter where your eye goes to, you end up
being in awe. Even seeing the different word engravings adds that special
something to the watch. As does that beautiful strap. This is something
to enjoy in so many ways Christopher. ..Congratulations to you, and the
guys for bringing such a masterpiece together !

Outstanding watch, workmanship, pictures, and story !

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeWed May 16, 2012 10:59 pm

I agree!

Thanks Ron.

Thank AT!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 1:02 am

smellody wrote:
I agree!

Thanks Ron.

Thank AT!

cheers ..Enjoy that one sir. Hamilton Montgomery Build 803574 Hamilton Montgomery Build 803574

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 5:37 am

What an awesome piece!!

Hamilton Montgomery Build Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 10:28 am

That is just INCREDIBLE DUDE!

Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 11:35 am

Very cool!
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Mr Rick
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitimeFri May 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Stunning!!!!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hamilton Montgomery Build   Hamilton Montgomery Build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Who Are You, What Did You Just Get, What do you have? :: New Arrivals-
Jump to: