The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Empty
PostSubject: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 5:08 pm

Cool article on Hodinkee regarding the Bond Submariner...

The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today ?format=750w

On October 5th, 1962, Ian Fleming’s fictional spy, James Bond, made his big screen debut in Dr. No, played by Sean Connery. Not only did the movie launch history’s most enduring film franchise, but it also made famous a certain wristwatch. Before Dr. No, the Rolex Submariner was a sturdy but humble dive watch, favored by divers for its ruggedness and water resistance. But after it appeared on the wrist of the suave Agent 007, it quickly became a symbol of confident masculinity and adventure. Never before, or since, has a wristwatch been so connected with a character.

While Fleming outfitted his literary Bond with a Rolex, he never specified the exact reference. But when it came time for Bond to meet his public in the movie, the issue was forced, and Connery was given a reference 6538 Submariner. Much speculation surrounds the exact circumstances around the bequeathing of said watch, and its ill-fitting nylon strap. Regardless of how it found its way onto Connery’s wrist, the Submariner was a fitting timepiece for a former Navy man who needed something that could stand up to his rough lifestyle.

The 6538 was an early Submariner reference, with an oversized screw-down TwinLock crown and bi-directional friction timing bezel. The case, rated to 200 meters of water resistance, lacked crown guards, one of the distinctive features of the so-called “James Bond Submariner.” Connery’s Bond wore the 6538 in subsequent films before it was succeeded by the more modern 5513, worn by both Roger Moore and Timothy Dalton.

When the Bond franchise was rebooted in the 1990s with Pierce Brosnan, Omega seized the opportunity to redefine the Bond wristwatch connection with its Seamaster...

The orginal article is here: http://www.hodinkee.com/the-james-bond-submariner-turns-50-today

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2012 11:59 pm

I believe Bond is a large component in the lure of the Submariner. I know some say Bond has no influence in their individual watch choice, but I'll be the first to admit that is why I purchased my first sub. Thanks for sharing Mark.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 2:47 pm

For me it was part of the decision making process of my Sub-C as well as my PO...but the look is what got me! Love both, both are badass!!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:14 pm

Wow, 50 years already ?! Amazing ! ..Thanks Mark ! The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today 803574

Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2012 3:34 pm

X's 2!

andrema wrote:
For me it was part of the decision making process of my Sub-C as well as my PO...but the look is what got me! Love both, both are badass!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today   The James Bond Submariner Turns 50 Today Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Lounge - Watch Forum :: Welcome To The Lounge! :: Watch Brands :: Swiss Brands :: Rolex and Tudor-
Jump to: