The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
thianwong
Senior Associate

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Empty
PostSubject: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 7:50 pm

Browsing my local mall store, I found this Swiss Mondaine GMT next to the Seiko Roox. I had seen the basic Mondaine several years ago when I was collecting Seiko SUS watches -distinguished by their blunt, square hands and date window at about the 4 spot.

Their classic dial design sold me on grabbing it for $100.00 (before it was discontinued, it was about $260). Not an upscale watch like my Omegas, but 'pretty' dial design.
The watch sports a Ronda quartz movement. Designwise, the red seconds hand paddle comes from Swiss train station attendants waving a red paddle signaling it was clear for the train to depart! Cool! On the dial are 3 sets of Capital letters representing 4 railway countries! (Switzerland, Germany, and France.Cute! haha!

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! 9064845475_e40ff79329_b
Montage Mondaine Bullet train by thianwong1, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 8:50 pm

Cool watch!! Big fan of the Mondaine!!

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks, 66! This is the first used Mondaine around here in Japan that I had seen:D

By the way, I admire your collection...quite eclectic and lovely.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 5:45 am

For $100 you got a very good deal. Thanks on my collection, I am buying less (but not selling yet) and enjoying more. You collection is wonderful as well. Some killer big name stuff, some very cool small name stuff, many not ever sold in US....so I've never seen them....you have a great eye for the classics.

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Such a neat watch Thian !!! Very Happy Just that whole Mondaine theme with the red hand is the best
imho. So great hearing the story about it too with the train station's red paddles, and how that
is where that second hand idea comes from. I bet a lot of people don't even know about that
cool detail. The entire watch is cool honestly. Can never get enough of the hand shape with all
Mondaines, and this GMT hand adds even more excitement. It's such a terrific find Thian that
will fit just great in your collection ! Congratulations, and thanks for all of the info about this.

Terrific Mondaine, and picture sir !

PostSubject: Re: Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!   Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Discontinued Mondaine GMT in the collection now!
Page 1 of 1