The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Empty
PostSubject: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:18 pm

Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Smallbullheadts3

I have a Seiko "Bullhead" chrono from 1976 that is in need of mechanical work. It needs a correct crown tube assembly (the crown does not sit flush with the case), the top pusher sticks, occassionally condensation forms inside the crystal, and it runs about 90 seconds a day fast. Otherwise it works fine, and the hands and dial were relumed by Kent Parks at Everest Watch Works several years ago, and cosmetically I'd say it's 85% or so.

This watch has sentimental value, as I bought it to replace the same model that I was wearing when I got married in 1982, which was stolen in 1985 when our home was burglarized.

Can anyone recommend a watch repairman who can handle restoring this watch mechanically, and would have access to parts if needed?

Thanks in advance!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:21 pm

Get with Noah!

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 pm

Great looking Bullhead, good luck on your repairs. That's definitely a watch you don't want to give to any Joe Blow to fix.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 5:44 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
Great looking Bullhead, good luck on your repairs. That's definitely a watch you don't want to give to any Joe Blow to fix.

Thanks!

It looks even better now on a period correct Seiko vintage folded link bracelet and the lume job. I'm just reluctant to wear it with the issues it has.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:08 pm

Ken Setser in Jacksonville FL is your man. I sent a 1950s Gyro Marvel (that was in production alimited time) and he did her up really well. Has a top flight reputation and is not hard to work with at all.

http://www.kensetser.com/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I for sure would fix that one up also, nice vintage!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:37 pm

I've heard about Ken Setser, but could not recall his name. Thanks for the reminder.

I have emailed him and Noah, and appreciate the responses greatly!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 6:46 pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
I've heard about Ken Setser, but could not recall his name. Thanks for the reminder.

Didn't know that Noah did vintage. Ken does any Seiko pretty much.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Datsun240Z71 wrote:

Didn't know that Noah did vintage. Ken does any Seiko pretty much.

I don't know about Noah and vintage either. Just taking Alan's advice.

Guess I'll probably be going with Ken Setser.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 8:51 am

http://www.bobthayerjr.com/

I have had good luck with Bob Thayer, he did both of my Bell Matics, works pretty much on Seikos only.

Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 11:47 am

Great advice guys. Alan/Ron, you guys may want to Sticky a Reference list for repairs such as this situation. It's nice to be able to work with people whom are members have had success with. just an idea and thanks guys for the references in case anyone else needs to use a repair guy in the future. Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:08 pm

I got a response from Noah Fuller. He suggested contacting this fellow, ironically also named Noah:

Contact's name and email removed by OP per request of Noah Fuller.

Last edited by Datsun240Z71 on Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 pm

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
I got a response from Noah Fuller. He suggested contacting this fellow, ironiclly also named Noah:

"Noah Riley based in the USA is the best Seiko man I know
noah.riley@gmail.com"

I think that is the guy that calls himself "Dr. Seiko" and if so then I have heard good things about him too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2010 12:14 pm

sixtysix wrote:
http://www.bobthayerjr.com/

I have had good luck with Bob Thayer, he did both of my Bell Matics, works pretty much on Seikos only.

Bob also has a solid and positive reputation in the Seiko community. My recommendation of Ken was merely because of my own experiences with him. Both Noah Riley and Bob Thayer have good reputations for doing top notch work on vintage (and modern) Seikos from what I have read over the past 5-6 years.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 4:39 pm

After sending emails to 4 of the contacts recommended here and in another Seiko thread on the forum, and hearing back from only 2, I elected to send the watch to Bob Thayer.

Bob was by far the most responsive via multiple emails, and did some checking on parts availability prior to requesting that the watch be sent to him. He indicated the only potential issue may be locating the proper tube assembly for the stem if that indeed is incorrect to the watch. He quoted $175 to overhaul the movement, plus additional parts required. I may have him refurbish the case and possibly replace the crystal, which has a tiny chip which can barely be seen, but felt. I asked he contact me with his recommendations after he receives it and gives it the once over.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 5:41 pm

Sounds VERY good !!! Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_biggrin Mr. Thayer seems like a great choice !
Good Luck and keep us up to date with this !

PostSubject: Datsun240Z71   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeWed Jun 02, 2010 8:40 pm

please contact me .. thx
noah10watches@gmail.com

Last edited by noahfuller on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 7:46 am

Bob Thayer did an excellent job, fixing the pusher that was sticking, replaced a broken jewel (that the prior "repairman" just packed with grease), refurbished the entire movement including the correct crown and tube asssembly, replaced the crystal, and redid the case. The watch runs great and keeps great time, and I'm very pleased with the results.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitimeThu Jun 03, 2010 8:47 am

Datsun240Z71 wrote:
Bob Thayer did an excellent job, fixing the pusher that was sticking, replaced a broken jewel (that the prior "repairman" just packed with grease), refurbished the entire movement including the correct crown and tube asssembly, replaced the crystal, and redid the case. The watch runs great and keeps great time, and I'm very pleased with the results.

Randy,

Very glad to hear that it came out so well. Thanks for the update! Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed   Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seiko - Vintage Watch Repairman needed
Page 1 of 1