The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you think quartz will be collectible?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Do you think quartz will be collectible? Empty
PostSubject: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:39 pm

I'm admiring my new Seiko Coltura Yacht Timer today. It features and alarm and always these fancy chrono features as well as the usual date, gmt function. I'm also mulling my Coltura Kinetic Perp Calendar that's good for 120 years.
All these features are pretty trick - but will they stand the test of time like some of the older automatics and mechanicals?
Will people in 2110 be savoring this technology and asking, How did such a primitive culture do that?
I think not.
But I think that's a shame.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:41 pm

Society at large? They will care less...

Watch COLLECTORS? "WE" snub off quartz NOW a great deal don't "we"?

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 1:48 pm

Do you think quartz will be collectible? IMG_0668
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:09 pm

I think if the watch world moves on to something as affordable as quartz, yet much more functional, desireable, or sustainable, then quartz will be as collectible as audio cassette tapes.

But a shame, i agree.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 2:34 pm

. . . maybe "collectable" is not quite the right term. We already have a sense of "desirable" quartz movements, and not so desirables . . . . Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 4:49 pm

No, but Flame Fusion watches will be highly prized.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:28 pm

It's a tough question I guess ! Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_eek For the longest time watch collectors
have admired automatic movements for a ton of reasons. From craftsmanship,
and workmanship to their eye-catching looks and reliability. Quartz movements
on the other hand, have kind of been disrespected by many. However, they still
have been a VERY important chapter in watches and the watch industry. So maybe
quartz will be collectible and it might even be collectible today !

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 5:43 pm

Docrwm wrote:

Wish I'd said that. But I'm trying to refrain from gratuitous Invicta comments.

Now look at the camera and say: Cheese!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 7:34 pm

boscoe wrote:
Docrwm wrote:

Wish I'd said that. But I'm trying to refrain from gratuitous Invicta comments.

Now look at the camera and say: Cheese!

High compliment. Thanks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:35 pm

AtomicTom wrote:
... it might even be collectible today !

I think the general trend is that quartz don't hold their value nearly as well as automatics, across the board.

I thought about this some more this afternoon - there are at least several different kinds of movements being used besides just quartz and automatic - solar, kinetic, spring drive - and who knows - maybe one of them or something new might become more easily produced and be the next big thing. I'm excited to see where "the norm" of horology goes next, doubt quartz is the end of the line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:36 pm

Spring drive and kinetic are very interesting
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:39 pm

Jard to day what will and what won't be collectible. There's always a place for quartz. I buy a watch for looks first. It's not like I wear my auto's upside down all day to see the movement.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:43 pm

Jard to day indeed. Do you think quartz will be collectible? Lol Seriously, though you're right. Really, the main function for most of us is looks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 pm

WatchNoob wrote:
Jard to day

I think you've had too many of poli's Crown and rocks, that's what I think Wink

Do you think quartz will be collectible? Lol

Last edited by AO on Fri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Probably(with a few exceptions) not
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 9:46 pm

I'm typing in the dim light of the TV over my monitor you bastards! Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:56 pm

why should someone collect things like that? Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_biggrin

Do you think quartz will be collectible? Hq705_2.2
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 10:59 pm

Of course people will collect them...people collect anything, like happy meal toys!

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 22, 2010 11:46 pm

FreeDive wrote:
AtomicTom wrote:
... it might even be collectible today !

I think the general trend is that quartz don't hold their value nearly as well as automatics, across the board.

I thought about this some more this afternoon - there are at least several different kinds of movements being used besides just quartz and automatic - solar, kinetic, spring drive - and who knows - maybe one of them or something new might become more easily produced and be the next big thing. I'm excited to see where "the norm" of horology goes next, doubt quartz is the end of the line.

Great points FD ! I agree with you ! Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_smile

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:01 am

In 100 years they will all be laughing at us because we admired the craftsmanship of mechanical watches.

Such simple and inaccurate machines.
WTF were they thinking.

JLC and AP will be featured at yard sales everywhere.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:15 am

foghorn wrote:
In 100 years they will all be laughing at us because we admired the craftsmanship of mechanical watches.

Such simple and inaccurate machines.
WTF were they thinking.

JLC and AP will be featured at yard sales everywhere.

Now THAT sounds like a GREAT yard sale Foghorn ! Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:29 am

Nothing like an auto but do like Swiss quartz movements
Do you think quartz will be collectible? Swiss-eta-quartz-movement
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 1:10 am

I've got nothing against quartz but my collrction was all over the place and with over 100 watches had to do something so quartz were the first to go! At this point the only quartz i would want is a seiko tuna and then i would try to mod it with an eta2824!!1 easy seiko boys i would take a seiko automatic!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:01 am

Certain watches, IMO are better served with quartz. I would not have my JSAR any other way. It may just be speculation, but I doubt an auto, no matter how robustly cased would have survived the things my JSAR has.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Yes ...   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:34 am

Yes..
But only the early models the ones with the big capasitors and the such
This one is the Cat's-Ass

But please remember Quartz is not a watch !!

Do you think quartz will be collectible? IMGP4373
Do you think quartz will be collectible? IMGP4374

And this is not Quartz ....

Do you think quartz will be collectible? IMGP5221
Do you think quartz will be collectible? IMGP5224

This is an Electric Tuning fork watch .. the movement from Omega and the same movement in the Omegas that Nixon gave to the Astronauts in the 70's
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 2:45 am

Aqua Homer wrote:
Certain watches, IMO are better served with quartz. I would not have my JSAR any other way. It may just be speculation, but I doubt an auto, no matter how robustly cased would have survived the things my JSAR has.

AH, i have a jsar auto mod thats cool but marathon knows a hell of alot more about watches than me and i'm sure the watch has a high torque quartz in it for a reason!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 6:44 am

I think there will be quartz models that will become collectors items, but it's also probable that if that happens, it won't be the quartz models of Omega and Tag...it'll be a variant of Zodiac or some other relatively smaller but more adventurous brand.

I can easily see a Dragon Wing in great shape being highly valued 50 years from now, for just one example.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 23, 2010 12:15 pm

great history lesson, noah. forgot all about it
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you think quartz will be collectible?   Do you think quartz will be collectible? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you think quartz will be collectible?
Page 1 of 1