The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do you buy quartz or auto?

Go down 
+7
Northwestguy
max
AtomicTom
PoliMalaka
thianwong
jackprime1
Anomaly
11 posters
AuthorMessage

Do you buy quartz or auto? Empty
PostSubject: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:25 pm

I'm slowely selling most of my quartz watches and when I see a new watch I want it's not quartz. I do need work watches that get beat up doing construction, this is what the few ones I have left will be for.

thought I would do a poll on what you like, you can vote in more than one
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:27 pm

I don't think I will buy any more quartz, down to just ONE now...

Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:31 pm

Sold off all of my quartz watches except for one. I will only stick with auto's for now on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:34 pm

jackprime1 wrote:
Sold off all of my quartz watches except for one. I will only stick with auto's for now on.

Do you buy quartz or auto? 196544
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:54 pm

Interesting question and poll responses so far. Seiko started the quartz movement trend in the 80s and nearly decimated the Swiss market. Digital format was then the vogue...

Casio went big on the digital format with its G Shocks etc. and to this day still gets a large market share. For the youth of the 90s and up to today, digital still is strong in the youth cellphone usage area. Kids tend to tell time less with tradtional wrist watches unless it is for fashion only.

Late 2009, the trend swings to Autos/mechanicals and now a strong and growing trend again. The quartz watch is still valid though for the mushroom brands (cheaper to buy in bulk from Seiko TMI or Casio Miyota ), and the grab-and-go crowd....

Only WISs seem to appreciate the watch 'soul' of mechanicals.

Personally, I spread my watch 'portfolio' over both hahahaha!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 10:56 pm

Got about a 50/50 mix, autos are great works of mechanics and art, but service cost can be $$$, had my black monster serviced about a year ago for 85 bucks; and while not much compared the service on a rollie, omega, or say 7750/7751 if I have it services again I would probably be better off just getting a new one.

Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_scratch

There are some great quartz out there that I just can't overlook.

JMHO
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:32 pm

I don't care if the watch is mechanical or quartz. I care more about the look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:36 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
I care more about the look.

We see what your looking at malaka,

I like Easter bikinis
Do you buy quartz or auto? 966b7caf

That's no watch you're looking at there!

Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_geek
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:37 pm

my whole collection is mechanical except for the seiko my wife gave me on our wedding day and the seiko diver that was my best friend in the world, his wife gave it to me when he passed away!
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:40 pm

labman wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:

I like to pretend that I am gentleman so I don't get all creepy and post pics of strange women.

They don't look automatic. Probably have to be wound everyday.

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 04, 2010 11:43 pm

PoliMalaka wrote:
labman wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:

I like to pretend that I am gentleman so I don't get all creepy and post pics of strange women.

Twisted Evil

Do you buy quartz or auto? Lol

I hear ya man!

Do you buy quartz or auto? 803574
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 12:16 am

I'm probably going to keep buying quartz watches, because alot of those
particular watches only come in a quartz variation. Also like all types of styles
and looks. Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_biggrin Nevertheless, I would like to start adding more automatics as
time goes by. They just seem to be so special because of how they work,
how they look, and what they represent, as examples of great watch making. Do you buy quartz or auto? 803574
Still, I'll probably always like both types of watches !

Last edited by AtomicTom on Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 12:18 am

labman wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:
labman wrote:
PoliMalaka wrote:

Twisted Evil

Do you buy quartz or auto? Lol

I hear ya man!

Do you buy quartz or auto? 803574

Better than battery operated, though. Do you buy quartz or auto? Affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:57 am

I have quartz watches that I will keep. I too have about a 50/50 split. My Skully that the quartz movement took a crap in is off for a heart transplant and will be given a new 2824 heart in the future. I had pretty much stopped looking at quartz watches until I found the JSAR. Other than that, IF...and that's a BIG IF, I get another watch this year, it will more than likely be an automatic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:35 am

I will always have a quartz or two but my focus is on autos or mechs because IMO that is the true art of watch making. Of course when I first started collecting that wasn't the way it was. It was what new 50mm outragous looking garbage is on now and can I get it. I doubt I buy any more quartz watches but I have a couple I am keeping.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:39 am

Right now I'm buying only auto's because I have a 8 head winder and only 4 watches in it. I then have a single head winder as well so that makes for 9 watches. I will not say that I won't buy any more quartz watches but I probably won't spend much money on them and autos are a priority for me right now.
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:27 am

I happen to like both. I prefer quartz in a diver for no particular reason. The 251.262 in my Accutron
Eagle Pilot is a winner as is the Miyota OS im my Divergraph.

Autos owned:16
Quartz owned:14

A pretty even mix although 7 of the quartz are cheapies under $100.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 10:15 am

Cool poll, interesting results...

Seems "look of the watch" is as important as any other factor...

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 12:52 pm

I`d still probably keep buying quartz in the future, but there`s a limit to how much I will spend on them. Most of my watches are mechanical, there`s just something special about a mechanical movement. I`ve been a car mechanic for most of my life, so I guess part of the fascination for mechanical watches has it`s origins from that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:51 pm

. . . I always vote any choice that has "f***" in it . . . Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm

I am definitely more of a mechanical fan however I do own 2 quartz and I would definitely buy another if I liked and wanted what I saw!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 5:37 pm

I know I wrote this someplace else but I guess my limit is around $500 for a quartz (has to be really nice though), because for $550 I can buy an Oris. When I ask myself, is this better than an Oris? I always say.......ah.....no...

I do buy quartz if I like them and the price is right.

Do you buy quartz or auto? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:40 pm

While I vastly prefer a 3 hand automatics I am not opposed to any quartz purchase. It depends on the price and the look.

My newest purchase is going to be a quartz ETA G10.

My collection includes a number of quartz watches.

Last edited by Hobbit712 on Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 7:52 pm

Hobbit712 wrote:
While I vastly prefer a 3 hand automatics I am not opposed to any quartz purchase. It depends on the price and the look.

My collection includes a number of quartz watxhes.

Great looking watch you have, excellent photos!
Do you buy quartz or auto? Ib_p030_1_2
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:54 pm

Had to go look in the watch box...

2 hand wind,
1 auto,
3 tuning fork,
1 hybrid (tuning fork/quartz),
2 quartz.

Looks like there's a space for another auto, hmmm... Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 8:57 pm

barnbuilder1 wrote:
Hobbit712 wrote:

My collection includes a number of quartz watxhes.

Great looking watch you have, excellent photos!
Do you buy quartz or auto? Ib_p030_1_2

Thank you much!
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 05, 2010 9:02 pm

After collecting both Auto and quartz watches, I began to read more about the High End Quartz models, which usually give accuracies from 4 secs/YEAR to around +-20 secs/YEAR....
So I found a nice used Seiko model called the Landtrek model Adventure style : ti, GMT, Perpetual and the HEQ caliber 8F56....switched out the OEM ti bracelet and installed a grey German leather strap for the British MoD look.
It is my daily go-to watch now....and Quartz!!! haha!

Do you buy quartz or auto? Landtrekfulldiallumeview
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:06 am

I've got a pretty good mix.I'll never have just automatics.I'm realistic about them.I spent enough last year for servicing my automatics to buy a Rolex.
I won't cheese out on the service either.Major brands go to their respective service centers and the less expensive ones go to jack and my local watchmaker.
I have some higher end quartz watches like the sinn ux.I've got two of those plus some marathons,accutrons.lately though I've been buying the hybred movements like kinetic,kinetic direct drive,eco,solar and solar atomic.
I just got this one in today.
Do you buy quartz or auto? Citizendiver-28
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 3:57 am

im selling off my quartz, right now. automatics and mechanicals are the only movements that are special to me, for the reason that they have a sole or a heart. it has always amazed me how a bunch of gears,springs, nuts, jewels, ect. come to life!!! and no two are the same.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 10:03 am

yamahaki wrote:
I've got a pretty good mix.I'll never have just automatics.I'm realistic about them.I spent enough last year for servicing my automatics to buy a Rolex.
I won't cheese out on the service either.Major brands go to their respective service centers and the less expensive ones go to jack and my local watchmaker.
I have some higher end quartz watches like the sinn ux.I've got two of those plus some marathons,accutrons.lately though I've been buying the hybred movements like kinetic,kinetic direct drive,eco,solar and solar atomic.

DUDE WHAT IS THAT THING???

That watch is wicked cool!

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:45 pm

Mostly interested in autos for now, but I'll never go quartz-free.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 pm

No digital... Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_scratch

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Anomaly wrote:
yamahaki wrote:

DUDE WHAT IS THAT THING???

That watch is wicked cool!

A new citizen 300m eco diver. they had them on a dod site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you buy quartz or auto?   Do you buy quartz or auto? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do you buy quartz or auto?
Page 1 of 1