The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lost a C-clip!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:52 pm

Well I had this old Elgin Chrono sitting in my drawer for years that my partner in my Tattoo/Piercing shop took as a partial payment on some ink.

Lost a C-clip!!! Picture262

After he died I cleared it out of his basket of goodies. I was going to put a battery in it and found that the battery was encased in some type of chastity belt!!!

Lost a C-clip!!! Picture266-1

So I decided to get brave the other day and tear it down.

Lost a C-clip!!! Picture261

I was going to try my hand at polishing the case and maybe find a crystal somewhere (the mineral crystal is scratched and chipped) and put it back together. Hopefully after finding a new crystal.

Lost a C-clip!!! Picture263

Kind of a commemorative to my Bro. I did great until I got to the chrono pushers! Let me tell you, the little C-clips that hold the chrono pushers in place are so freakin small I needed a loop to find them. Well unfortunately I only found 2 out of 3....

Lost a C-clip!!! Picture265-1

So I guess this is my question. Can I find another one of these little summabeechez? Are they pretty much a universal size? Would I be better off looking for an old piece-o-shit watch somewhere to find another? If I can find another clip, how do I go about obtaining another crystal. Also, how do I get at that damn battery to change it. I thought by removing the 3 small screws, that would allow me to remove the metal chastity belt...BUT NO!!!! So I need some advice guys! INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW! Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 6:59 pm

Now DUFF is modding!

Holy Moly!

Find that C clip man and get'er'done!

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:03 pm

Hahaha, I figured what the hell! I really hope I can get it cleaned up and working...just cuz it was my Bro's. One damn clip and a crystal away! LMAO!
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:04 pm

Good for you Duff!

Here's the right tool. Remember, right tool for the job!

Lost a C-clip!!! Fb15.207 Lost a C-clip!!! 779569

Last edited by Docrwm on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:21 pm

THIS is FANTASTIC Duff !!!!! Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_biggrin Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_cheers Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_biggrin What a GREAT watch you
have there ! It's amazing how you took it apart like that, and look
at ALL of the pieces too ! Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_eek NICE job sir !..With the C-clips, I went
to a couple Elgin sites and didn't really find anything. I'm putting the
links in anyway, because maybe they will help out at some point. I
did find C-clips by the way. However, they are for Citizen, and Seiko
watches. Maybe they could work for you ! Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_smile Anyway here you go
Duff !....

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/watch-components-ss7.html#2037

http://elginwatches.org/

http://www.elginwatches.us/

http://www.ofrei.com/index.html

http://www.jewelerssupplies.com/Elgin.html

http://ptpwp.com/

Last edited by AtomicTom on Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:25 pm

damn, just had a great reply and it got erased due to me rushing thru that "another msg was posted while you were typing" thing.... oh well... what tom said!

Can't believe companies make it THAT hard to change a battery. It's the one repair you KNOW will be needed eventually...

Good luck man, you're in the right direction!!
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:06 pm

. . . harbour freight. They had a kit there with some seriously tiny e clips at the local one here . . .

BTW, thats why we call them "fuck clips". When it took off, what's the first thing you said??????? Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:10 pm

Too bad about the clip....if they are steel, try a magnet to find it, works sometimes. Good luck with the project, should be cool when it get finished.

Lost a C-clip!!! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 8:37 pm

Duff - when you start putting the small parts back together try magnetizing the tools that you are using (rub against a magnet). This will help you keep them off of the floor and give you more control over the part. They actually sell them at sears for screwdrivers...but I'm pretty sure any ole magnet will work. Just remember, it is just like rubbing up against a tree...you need plenty of friction!
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:11 pm

Duff, I'm proud of ya man!!! Got some cajones to try this.
Good luck finding a replacement c (fu**) clip.
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 10:16 pm

Pretty ambitious Duff! hope ya find that lil sumabeetch, might be tough to track down a replacement, althought Tom has done some good link research.

That crystal looks pretty banged up but it might be polishable. Go to town on it with some Brasso and a clean rag see what u get!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:05 am

Good Luck Duff! Will be looking forward to an update.
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 1:34 am

Holy crap Duff, when are you going to start modding your Breitling?
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 2:27 am

hope you can find one Duff. I have a few older parts watches , I'll look to see if they have c-clips.
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 12:25 pm

falcon4311 wrote:

You're lucky you live in Canada Don!!! Mod my Breitling!!! Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_evil

barnbuilder1 wrote:
hope you can find one Duff. I have a few older parts watches , I'll look to see if they have c-clips.

Thanks Ron. It would be cool if you had one. If not I guess I'll order from one of the sites AT put up. I'd really like to get this watch back running. Do you know how to take off the CAGE that's holding the battery in?
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 1:03 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
falcon4311 wrote:

You're lucky you live in Canada Don!!! Mod my Breitling!!! Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_evil

barnbuilder1 wrote:

Thanks Ron. It would be cool if you had one. If not I guess I'll order from one of the sites AT put up. I'd really like to get this watch back running. Do you know how to take off the CAGE that's holding the battery in?

Is it true that they have a flame fusion upgrade? That would be sweet! Sapphire is so last century...
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 2:13 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
falcon4311 wrote:

barnbuilder1 wrote:

Since it's a Miyota (can't see number though) you should be able to go to thier website and get the assembly/disassembly instructions....I am pretty sure I've been there for this info.

Lost a C-clip!!! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeThu Feb 11, 2010 4:45 pm

andrema wrote:
Duff - when you start putting the small parts back together try magnetizing the tools that you are using (rub against a magnet). This will help you keep them off of the floor and give you more control over the part. They actually sell them at sears for screwdrivers...but I'm pretty sure any ole magnet will work. Just remember, it is just like rubbing up against a tree...you need plenty of friction!

STOOPID NOOB ALERT: Wouldn't that run the risk of magnetizing the movement parts, too? Couldn't that effect watch performance, especially if there was enough magnetism to impact the hairspring?

Sorry if this is a dumb question...
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 1:31 pm

Duff - try this guy, he seems to have a pretty extensive parts list:

http://www.dashto.org/newlists/selectedamericanmaterial.htm#025
Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitimeMon Feb 15, 2010 3:40 pm

Thanks Mark, I tried looking through his inventory but it's infinite so I sent him an e-mail with the markings on the caseback of the old Elgin. I appreciate your lookin for me Bro!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lost a C-clip!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lost a C-clip!!!   Lost a C-clip!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lost a C-clip!!!
Page 1 of 1