The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Care for Leather Straps?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Care for Leather Straps? Empty
PostSubject: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 am

I've read about linseed oil, mink oil, neatsfoot oil, fabric conditioner, Liquid Leather, olive oil, "good hand creams", and saddle wax.

How do you care for the leather straps on your watches?
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:44 am

My opinion on leather straps depends on who is swinging them. Oops-wrong forum. I use mink oil on my work boots but have'nt tried it on leather watch straps. We don't have an issue with humidity here so my leather watch straps stay pretty clean. Quite a help are'nt I?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:55 am

just wear them and like the broken in look, like to find used straps in good condition!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:59 am

One thing, and only one thing, for thirty plus years, to clean and condition every skin from calfskin to ostrich (boots or whatever): Meltonian Leather Lotion. Not for use on suede, but any skin with a finish.
I've never used saddle wax on any of my saddles, btw. Wax won't soak in, it sits on the hide, and eventually dulls. Oils can eventually do the same.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am

porschefan wrote:
One thing, and only one thing, for thirty plus years, to clean and condition every skin from calfskin to ostrich (boots or whatever): Meltonian Leather Lotion. Not for use on suede, but any skin with a finish.
I've never used saddle wax on any of my saddles, btw. Wax won't soak in, it sits on the hide, and eventually dulls. Oils can eventually do the same.

Great advice. I used to own a shoe repair business, and most products are made for a specific purpose, and fine leathers like straps can be discolored, ruined or damaged by using the wrong product. The Meltonian lotion is almost clear and is very gentle, but I'd still test a small area on the strap or try it on some that you're not afraid to "change" to see what the result is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:13 am

Ah, but which one?

Care for Leather Straps? 5784 Care for Leather Straps? Meltonian Care for Leather Straps? Item_1557 Care for Leather Straps? Item_1564 Care for Leather Straps? RMEL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am

The product I'm familiar with came in the small glass jars like those on the bottom right of the post above.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:21 pm

I only have two watches with leather straps, soon to be only one. If it's not on stainless then it's on rubber...

I don't see myself really, treating, leather. Wear it til it wears out and replace it...

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:26 pm

+1 on what Alan said....I have two watches on leather--one a Toshi and one from Greg Stevens...just going to wear them til it's time to replace...

Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Ah, but which one?

Care for Leather Straps? 5784 Care for Leather Straps? Meltonian

The one on the left is the one I use. The one on the right is also very good, adds some water repellancy.
The saddle soap is a no, the cream polish is to add color back, or to add depth to the color of boots and shoes.
I figure if you've spent a chnk of cash on something that can be taken care of, why not take car of it? Even if it's a croc watch strap, or whatever. I know a lot of you guys take the scratches out of your bracelets... You wash and wax yours cars, right?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 4:23 pm

I honestly don't use anything on my watch straps ! Care for Leather Straps? Icon_redface
Nevertheless, these look like phenomenal options to
try. Especially if the straps are VERY good. Most of
mine are just normal stock straps, which are still in
great shape. Thanks for all of this info guys ! Care for Leather Straps? Icon_biggrin

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:51 pm

porschefan wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
Ah, but which one?

Care for Leather Straps? 5784 Care for Leather Straps? Meltonian

The one on the left is the one I use. The one on the right is also very good, adds some water repellancy.
The saddle soap is a no, the cream polish is to add color back, or to add depth to the color of boots and shoes.
I figure if you've spent a chnk of cash on something that can be taken care of, why not take car of it? Even if it's a croc watch strap, or whatever. I know a lot of you guys take the scratches out of your bracelets... You wash and wax yours cars, right?

I agree and thank you for your input!

Alan worries me - looking at straps for his P and not going to care for them.... Care for Leather Straps? Icon_eek Must be made of money Care for Leather Straps? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Care for Leather Straps?   Care for Leather Straps? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Care for Leather Straps?
Page 1 of 1