The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HUEY UPDATE

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 8:51 am

I thought I would let you all know what's going on with the Huey as a number of you told me that you want pics, video and info on it. First, I really do appreciate the interest you all have shown in this project! I really does mean a lot that people other than we that are working on it are truely interested!

As a recap, we started this restoration almost 5 years ago. We got a Huey from Bangor, Maine that actually flew 2 tours or 2 years in Vietnam and being the historian, I have got all the documentation on where it was in Vietnam and what units it was in during her time "in country". Luckily, I have also found both a pilot and a crew chief that both flew our Huey in Vietnam! Both of these gemtlemen have been to Indianapolis to see the bird and their reactions were priceless to say the least!!

We broke this bird COMPLETELY down to basically nothing and then rebuilt her back up to current flyable specs. It's taken us so long to get this done because we are all volunteering our time and we are doing this ALL on donations. When you do that, you get done what you can with the money you have so the time has been longer than we all wanted but at least she's finished.

Currently, because of the crappy weather here in Indiana between the snow and real cold temps, we haven't been doing as much on it as we would like. Ever try being in a huge ALL STEEL hanger in the middle of winter?? Brrrrr to say the least, and that's with big heaters! In December we finally got our Flight Certificate from the FAA which allows us to actually take her off the ground and fly her!!

Where we are now is basically in the final phase of all the checks and certifications that are needed before she can lift off the ground. Things like balancing the blades as well as balancing the entire aircraft! You need to make sure that the weight in the front and back is as equal as possible for easier flight. We normally work every Tuesday nite but with the weather we haven't worked in the last 3 weeks and the last time we did meet, I was in Dallas at a sales meeting winning sales awards. So, right now, I'm not too sure where we are in the process. I'll definately let you all know as you all ae4 so interested in this project. If anyone ever has any questions, please feel free to ask! Thanks again for all the interest!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:17 am

Thanks for the update. Sounds like things are slated for flights and such during the warmer weather later in the year.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 9:54 am

Thanks for the update.....hopefully you will be in the air soon!!

HUEY UPDATE Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:30 am

Great Brian! This may be a loaded question but how much restoration was needed?

Take some video when you get her in the air!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am

That baby's come a long way Bro. But you left out the best and most important part in my opinion. Tell the guys what this labor of love will be doing once she's put back in to service!!!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:24 pm

Your copter is the ULTIMATE mod!

The knowledge you need to do that is MOST impressive!

A video some day would be GREAT!

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

Thanks for the update Big B, i know how proud you guys are of that awesome copter!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:07 pm

. . . . sitting here grinning. Flight of the Valkyeries playing in my head. . . .
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Very cool! Thanks for updating us!!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:54 pm

The engineering involved is truly amazing, especially how you all are doing it. Great restoration job.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 4:37 pm

What an amazing talent to be able to do this Brian ! I can see
how FUN this must be to do. Taking apart a watch would probably
be a piece of cake for you by the way ! HUEY UPDATE Icon_cheers Seriously though,
CONGRATULATIONS on all of your progress with the helicoptor.
It's a piece of history that must be very fulfilling for you guys
to have restored !..Thank You !!!!

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 6:42 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
That baby's come a long way Bro. But you left out the best and most important part in my opinion. Tell the guys what this labor of love will be doing once she's put back in to service!!!

Wow, I guess i didn't think of that! Well, she'll be used as a search and rescue helo. We all are certified first responders so if there is any type of disaster in Indiana and they need something like our Huey, well go do it. Also the other thing we'll be doing with it is fly it to veteran's functions here in Indiana and the surrounding states. Like the function I booked just today. It's for the Indiana Blue Star organization and they are responsible for helping out families of service people that are deployed. We'll fly it in to their all day function and we'll be honoring all the soldiers. It's the most fun thing we'll be doing with the Huey! I can't wait to go to all the veteran's functions, especially the Vietnam veterams functions. I want to see the look on their faces when they hear the wop, wop wop of the rotor blades as it comes in to land!! That's basically what we'll be doing with the Huey!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 7:40 pm

sheraortho wrote:
bodypeersur1 wrote:

Wow, I guess i didn't think of that! Well, she'll be used as a search and rescue helo. We all are certified first responders so if there is any type of disaster in Indiana and they need something like our Huey, well go do it. Also the other thing we'll be doing with it is fly it to veteran's functions here in Indiana and the surrounding states. Like the function I booked just today. It's for the Indiana Blue Star organization and they are responsible for helping out families of service people that are deployed. We'll fly it in to their all day function and we'll be honoring all the soldiers. It's the most fun thing we'll be doing with the Huey! I can't wait to go to all the veteran's functions, especially the Vietnam veterams functions. I want to see the look on their faces when they hear the wop, wop wop of the rotor blades as it comes in to land!! That's basically what we'll be doing with the Huey!

HUEY UPDATE Icon_cheers HUEY UPDATE 812159 You should all be VERY PROUD! Hell, I'm proud of you!
Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2010 1:59 am

thats cool Brian! Great you all were able to put all the time in to restore this Huey. I can only imagine how Vietnam vets feel seeing this and the memories. Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HUEY UPDATE Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY UPDATE   HUEY UPDATE Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HUEY UPDATE
Page 1 of 1