The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

HUEY VIDEO!!!

Go down 
+5
Anomaly
sixtysix
Noisy Nova
Northwestguy
merichar
9 posters
AuthorMessage

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:06 am

First I have to say that today was a FANTASTIC day for all of us at Indiana Air Search And Rescue (IASAR) because this is the first time our bird, 563, got off the ground!!! The restoration took 5 years to complete but we broke her completely down to the bare nothing and then built her back up to flight status. It took so long because we did it ALL on DONATIONS so we owe nobody on this bird!!

Now, The first video I'm posting was the VERY FIRST time she got off the ground on her own power. Initially all we were going to do was hover straight up. However, the controls and the bird felt so good, Olaf (our German military pilot) decided to do a little more by doing some circles and then side to side. After Olaf was done, another of our pilots Skip, took the controls and did the same manuvers. Skip was a Huey driver in Vietnam in 1964 and this was the first time he has flown a Huey in almost 40 years! He did a fantastic job as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yG9E9RR66n0

Now, the second video is where 563 flew a few patterns around the airport. This is the first time she's flown in almost 15 years and the controls were as smooth as they could be. They decided to fly some patterns because she was flying so well and they wanted to check her out in more than a hover.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntBcCl8DBfo

While it may not seem like a real big deal watching a helicopter fly, it is a remarkable feat considering a group of volunteers rebuilt this from the ground up and got her back to flight status. The weather in Indianapolis was fantastic today (Saturday) as it was sunny and about 52 degrees which is just perfect for flying. We had about 60 people here cheering us on so we obviously had a lot of fun today.

Thanks to all of you guys for all the nice comments and prayers, it really means a lot! We have a few more tiny adjustments to make and then we will be flying into a veteran's program next month so we are all excited! Thanks again for everything and I hope you enjoy the video!!
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:17 am

Just sat here and watched both videos.......can't imagine how proud you guys must feel right now!
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:19 am

Congratulations Brian. What a great day. That Huey seems to handle beautifully. The way they held it in hover in ground effect tells me the pilot had a nice handling bird. Looked like a great cool clear day to fly. If I'm not mistaken that looked like you in the desert cammies in the second video?
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:21 am

awesome brian, i know how much blood sweat and tears you've put into this wonderful bird! So cool seeing it in the air after hearing about it for so long! congrats brother! HUEY VIDEO!!! 812159
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:23 am

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S ! cheers
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 3:29 am

. . . Awesome to see her off the ground Brian!!! She seemed pretty stable. All that work finally came together today!!!

A hearty congratulations to all of you!!!!
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 am

Man that is very cool to see the Huey get off the ground! It's been great to see this restoration take place over the past year and now see it fflying is amazing. Thanks and Congratulations to you and the others!
Back to top Go down
Noisy Nova
Associate
Noisy Nova

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:00 am

Looking good!
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:12 am

It's good to see a part of history in the air again!! Congrats to the whole team! HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_cheers

HUEY VIDEO!!! Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:21 am

Yeah dude that freakin' RULES!

After all the love and labor, must have been a GREAT natural high!

Very happy for you guys!

Senior Associate
andrema

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 am

Congratulations Brian!! I like this one:

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 11:51 am

UNFREAKIN BELIEVEABLE BRIAN! I watched the video and when it lifted off I felt chill go up my spine. I was not sent to Vietnam as I went in in '72 and the guys were coming home when I was in, but I remember those babies and am glad it all went perfect! The Huey will do a lot of good for many years to come because of you and your friends. Thank you from a Vietnam Era Veteran! HUEY VIDEO!!! 74725
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 1:42 pm

Man, those videos and that sound brought back a lot of memories. That spooling up squeal HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_cool

Great job on that bird.
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 2:02 pm

Very excited for you and your crew. Pretty cool. BTW, did the pilot
bring it back after flying off at the end of the second video? There's
even a guy shaking his fist in the air as it flies past. HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_wink HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 8:58 pm

Woohoo !!!!! HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_cheers HUEY VIDEO!!! 46145 HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_cheers HUEY VIDEO!!! 46145 HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_cheers CONGRATULATIONS to EVERYONE
Brian !!!!! I could feel the anticipation in these videos ! All of the time, and
hard work being tested out like that ! It must have been SO exhilarating
being there. Actually just seeing both pilots hover like that was OUTSTANDING ! HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_biggrin
However, when it starting taking off at the end, it was DEFINITELY a FANTASTIC
feeling, and that was from watching the video ! HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_eek I can only imagine, actually
being there, or flying in the HUEY ! HUEY VIDEO!!! 803574 HUEY VIDEO!!! 803574 Once again..Congratulations to
you and the others !..It was PHENOMENAL !!!!! Thanks for the videos sir ! HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_smile

Consigliere
smellody

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:33 pm

VERY, VERY COOL!!!! Congratulations.
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 07, 2010 9:48 pm

Brian........CONGRATS ON GETTING HER BACK IN THE AIR!
I have been on many flights on these birds and have loved everyone of them.
Used to ride out to my missile silo in these.
Great Job to all involved and thanks for the video!
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 9:37 am

I would like to give a huge THANKS to everyone here! You all have had a lot of interest and enthusiasm for this project and it means a lot. I have never done a project this big and involved before. I've also not done a project that has the ability to touch as many lives as this one either. All I know is your support has been fantastic and it means a lot! Thank You to everyone!
Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitimeMon Mar 08, 2010 7:12 pm

Congrats!

Just watched the VIDS, job well done!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

HUEY VIDEO!!! Empty
PostSubject: Re: HUEY VIDEO!!!   HUEY VIDEO!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

HUEY VIDEO!!!
Page 1 of 1