The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A very tough lesson learned...a must read

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

A very tough lesson learned...a must read Empty
PostSubject: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:47 pm

I came across this thread called "Household insurance - large scale claims." over at DWC. It goes through one of its members (Rick - aka "meta4ick") experiences through an insurance claim on the total loss of his house and contents. It was well thought out and VERY informational.

If you read one more post today...make it this one!!!!

http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2011

Last edited by andrema on Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for the link, Mark. Really important information.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Man that sux...

...insurance is a necessary EVIL!

Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:01 pm

WoW...thanks for the heads up Mark...I am going to forward this to my wife....Taking pics of the whole entire house is a great idea and I will be doing that asap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 4:28 pm

andrema wrote:
If you read one more post today...make it this one!!!!

. . . that is the truth!!! Thanx Mark . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:03 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Man that sux...

One of those things that you want the best of but NEVER want to have to actually use!!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 7:23 pm

cski wrote:
Anomaly wrote:
Man that sux...

One of those things that you want the best of but NEVER want to have to actually use!!
Just like getting an umbrella policy if you have teenagers...you don't want them to get in trouble where personal liability is involved, you could lose your house! If you can afford it, get it!!!!

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:28 pm

This guy knows what he is talking about. We had a devastating fire in 1998.
We lost everything we owned. Thank God my children were NOT home when it started.
Everyone was safe except for our ten year old siamese and my son's boa.
We had no clothes except those on our backs.....my wife ran out of the house without shoes.
Our neighbor gave Tammy an old pair of shoes to wear. I can't explain the feeling of standing
outside in the cold watching your house burn to the ground.
For the next week and 1/2, my wife and I had to list everything that we owned that was in the house...
t-shirts, underwear, socks, aspirin, soap, cd's,records,dvd's EVERYTHING and then try to put some value on these items. It's was horrendous.
So, please take this guys advice and take pictures or movies of everything and put it in a safe deposit
box or someplace safe.
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 8:34 pm

Great great advice. We have most of our stuff photographed and the memory card at a safety deposit box at the bank and a back up of the info online stored on one of my hosting accounts (never know when a storage card will fail, lol)

The ONLY reason we already have these pictures done is that a good friend of ours had their house burn down and they got F-ed in the insurance process. Sure they got a lot of money and rebuilt, but the incredible stress of fighting with THEIR insurance company almost broke up their relationship/family. Let me state that again so you read it - no one was hurt in the fire and they were fine after it, BUT THE MONTHS AND MONTHS OF STRESS directly associated with dealing with the insurance companies literally almost broke them up permanently. I remember it well. Their advice then was similar to the article posted - have back up records or pictures of everything - because remember - for most of us all of the receipts, tax returns, credit card statements, etc etc etc - WILL HAVE BURNED.

Great post.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 9:32 pm

THANKS for posting this! There's some really good info in that. There are things that I wouldn't have thought of!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:14 pm

What a terrible story and stories everyone !
However, alot of good insight here ! Thanks !

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 11:55 pm

Rick's post was invaluable to many of us I'm sure. It certainly made me think about what I need to get in order!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A very tough lesson learned...a must read   A very tough lesson learned...a must read Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A very tough lesson learned...a must read
Page 1 of 1