The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bell Diving

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:41 pm

I was asked in a thread about the HRV to show some pics, so i decided to do it this way, and start another thread, on Bell Diving.
For those who know all about it, then i am sorry if i go on a bit, and keep the language simple.

There is a few forms of bell Diving, and for air diving there is the wet bell. Basically its like a glass turned upside down, and on decent, you just pressurze it, to keep the water out of the dry space.
I have used a few, and most have around a quarter or a third as dry space, i have been in one, that really had 98% , as it was a like a glass upside down.

For those who dont know, a Dive Bell, regards of what type, has an umbilical from the ship to the bell. Then the divers have umbilical s from the bell to the diver.

I have spent most of my offshore mixed gas diving career doing something called bell bounce.
It all gets a bit confusing sometimes, as there is roll over bells, mini bells, etc , etc.
Bell bounce was something done in the 80's that for some reason was stopped, and back in 2004, the company i was working for started it back up.
Experimental tables too!

So i will post some pics here about bell bounce, and some Sat.

Saturation Diving, the short explanation is, you blow down in the system to storage depth. This depth is worked out by the Life support tech, and the gas is mixed for this depth. The bell is put to diving depth, and sometimes this gas mix can be different.
The divers do the job, spend say, 6 hours out, return to the system, lock on, transfer through, next divers go, carry on like this until the job is done, or 28 days are up. If the job is longer, the diver rotate out, decompressing in another chamber, after there replacements blew in.

Bell Bounce is more simple, but more pressure on the diver to preform.
The set up is basically the same, except the gas mix is different, as bell bounce is cost effective in more shallow water. The Divers get in the bell, while the bell is a surface pressure. They close the door, the bell is launched, and put to the depth. At this point, the bell pressure is still on the surface, so the dive has not begun. The door cant be forced inward by the water pressure due to the way it locks.
The Divers dress in, then we blow down. The point here is speed! When the door is opened, the diver is gone, and must be on the job in the fastest possible time. He is left to the last minute, and recovered to the bell, and once again, the strip down, is about speed, as the bell must leave bottom, like any diver. With the door shut, we head up, all the while, venting the bell, in accordance with the deco tables.
Like a Sat system, we lock on the bell, transfer through, and start deco, using pure O2 when we reach 15M, and deco out in about 3 hours.
The bell is vented to the surface, not the system, and then separated, so the next divers get in, and we go again.
The things a bell bounce systems does not have compared to a Sat system, is basically a shower, toilet, Hyperbaric life raft, Co2 scrubbers, and thats about it.

The beauty of this system, is your back on the surface each day. The cons, well none in my opinion, but some believe it is the cause of many problems later in life, and thats why it was stopped. I dont know.
But here are some pics. I hope, i am a bit unsure of this photobucket thing.

Bell Diving NoordhoekSingapore25
This one above is the bell bounce bell.
Bell Diving P1060714
A view climbing up to the bell.

Bell Diving P1060708
Main panel, Diver 1 and 2
Bell Diving P1060707
O2 injection system, and Diver 1, and 2 helmets.
Bell Diving P1060712
Bell door, solid titanium!

Bell Diving P1060716-1
Diver 3 ( Bellmans Panel) and yeah, had to get in a watch shot. Its mine, been used hard, and that croc strap, has seen over 100 bell runs. Who needs a bracelet Bell Diving Icon_question Bell Diving Icon_question
Bell Diving P1060742
Diver 1 and 2 out, and Diver 3 umbilical ( Which is stored on the outside, passed in )
Bell Diving P1060747
Me started to get bored, waiting for the Divers to finish up!

Hope you guys like the pics, i do have plenty more, but i think the post is large enough.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 6:52 pm

VERY COOL!!! That was awesome insight!!

Senior Consigliere

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 pm

Holy COW !!!! Bell Diving 46145 Bell Diving 46145 Bell Diving 46145 Bell Diving 46145 THAT was an UNBELIEVABLY
fun amount of info, and pictures !!!! Bell Diving looks to be both
VERY dangerous, but VERY cool at the same time. I have seen
bits and pieces about it over the years. However, noone has
explained it so well before !..Thanks !..I look forward to learning
more on Saturday also ! Bell Diving 803574 By the way..FANTASTIC watch too !

Consigliere
sixtysix

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 7:47 pm

Thanks for posting!! Bell Diving 933578

Bell Diving Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:09 pm

HOLY CRAP!!! YOUR PANNY IS BEING USED FOR DIVING!!!! I'm gonna freakin pass out!!!! Thanks for the pics and info. Very educational and VERY COOL!
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 8:41 pm

Thanks 'cald. Diving like that is one thing I have no desire to do. I
do, however find it fascinating how it's done for those that do it.
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Panerai   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:14 pm

bodypeersur1 wrote:
HOLY CRAP!!! YOUR PANNY IS BEING USED FOR DIVING!!!! I'm gonna freakin pass out!!!! Thanks for the pics and info. Very educational and VERY COOL!

It is supposed to be a dive watch after all, so hey, it has to do its part. I doubt Panerai ever expected that though.

It is being retired now, after 5 years of service. Still has the original croc strap too!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:35 pm

That is some incredible stuff!

Send it to Panerai and I bet they send you something!!!!!

I would!!!!!!!!!!

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Panerai   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:45 pm

Anomaly wrote:
That is some incredible stuff!

Send it to Panerai and I bet they send you something!!!!!

I would!!!!!!!!!!

Well, i must say, its been a good watch, but as you know from DWC, i am going a different path, so endorsing them is kind of counter productive. Having said that, i sure would like something for free! might make up for some of what i paid for that watch.

To be fair to Panerai though, this watch has been serviced by me, ( Amateur hour) no seals replaced in its two services, and after that, survived 180M dive.
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Sat   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 9:48 pm

I did say i would post pics of Sat too, and i dont have any i took, nor of me.
But a friend gave me some i will use for my website, and these are very recent, so tomorrow i will make a thread part two, for the sake of some new photo's.
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeThu Apr 22, 2010 10:02 pm

t20569cald wrote:
But a friend gave me some i will use for my website, and these are very recent, so tomorrow i will make a thread part two, for the sake of some new photo's.

What's your website link?
Back to top Go down

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: website   Bell Diving Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 3:02 am

porschefan wrote:
t20569cald wrote:

What's your website link?

I scrapped my website, and have handed it over to the professionals, not as easy as it looked!
Should be done in a few more weeks, then i will put it in the signature.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bell Diving Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving   Bell Diving Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bell Diving
Page 1 of 1