The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Bell Diving, Part 2.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

Bell Diving, Part 2. Empty
PostSubject: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 5:59 am

I thought i would post some more picture for you guys, and on 2 parts. First, i think i will talk here about decompression, and then later make a small thread as part 3, showing some photo's from Sat a friend supplied to me.
I have very few photo's from my career, and something i now regret. Part 1 and 2, are all photo's from me.

Decompression in Saturation. Is a lot more complicated than Bell Bounce, as usually they run deco, at the same time as the job. If there is 9 divers in Sat for example, and the job will run 4 months, then they need to rotate out divers. So 3 divers will blow down, in a chamber that is on the surface, and then transfer through, making a total of 12 divers in Sat. Once in, the 3 they are to replace, go through into that chamber, close the door, and start towards the surface.
This is depth dependent, and a deco can take a long time. I have done a 7 day decompression, which was not fun, mostly as i was not well at all, and could not make it faster.
So lets say the deco is 72 hours for example, and those 3 divers start towards the surface. The other 9 divers do their 3 bells runs per 24 hours as usual, and the job goes on. Often systems use the HRC ( Hyperbaric Lift Raft ) to do the deco, which i strongly disagree with.
Some places that is not aloud, as it is your only way out, if the ship catches fire or sinks.
So during the 72 hours, the gas mixture has to be adjusted to suit the partial pressure of O2 etc.
Co2 Scrubbers have to be refilled, and changed, and it goes on. When those divers are back on the surface, then they start looking at when the next team will be changed out, and the cycle continues.
The Life Support tech, ( LST ) or the Life support supervisor (LSS ) runs this, and that is job specific. No one interferes with them, as to be honest, most dont know what they do exactly.

On the Bell bounce system, deco is simple. And the Divers who are on deck, who have dived, or are waiting to, run the deco themselves.
Deco starts in the bell itself, on the way up. The divers vent the gas to the supervisors instructions.
When the divers transfer through from the bell, the travel through the system to the chamber that they will deco in, and usually start on O2 straight away, as 15M was the transfer depth.
They will spend 20min on O2, 5 min off, diving table dependent of course.
Can be as long as 3 and a bit hours in total, and thats it.
So i am including the deco system here, from the Bell Bounce system, and a picture of pre mixed gas quads, and perhaps the dive control itself. Which is also, much more simple than a Sat panel.

Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060702
The above photo shows the deco panel, and in total there are 4 tv monitors watching 5 areas inside, bell included.
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060703
This is the spare chamber for emergencies . It is not connected to the main dive system, just for bend treatments if one happens.
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060705
Had to throw 1 in !
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060725
This is the door exit door in the main system, nothing better than when this opens, especially if your a smoker!
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060726
Pre mixed gas, white ones O2, and the grey ones breathing gas.
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060732
Dive control
Bell Diving, Part 2. P1060731
and Dive contrlol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:33 am

Amazing, 'cald.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 12:55 pm

cool read and great pictures! Thanks
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 8:35 pm

Super cool!! Thanks for posting...very interesting, even for us land-lovers Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_cheers

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 8:46 pm

This is REALLY something ! Bell Diving, Part 2. 803574 Thank you for giving us a glimpse
into the diving world. It is great hearing, as well as seeing how all
of this is done, and the insight into everything is very much appreciated.
What is so impressive, is not only all of the cool equipment, but how
professional everyone must need to be in the extreme situations you
face. Terrific stuff once again ! Thanks for the info, and pics of everything,
even the watch ! Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_smile

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitimeFri Apr 23, 2010 11:11 pm

Come on Part III Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_bounce

PostSubject: Re: Bell Diving, Part 2.   Bell Diving, Part 2. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Bell Diving, Part 2.
Page 1 of 1