The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Citizen DLC's...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:11 pm

The Citizen Attesa GMT (ATD53-2903)

December 21, 2007

Citizen DLC's... Citizen_attesa_gmt
One of my favorite watch complications is the GMT hand: a separate (typically fourth) independently settable hand marking 24-hour time. It's extremely useful for people like pilots, travelers, and businesspeople who not only need to be able to switch between different time zones easily, but who also need to be able to keep track of two time zones simultaneously.
The addition of the GMT hand came in the mid-1950s when Pan Am worked with Rolex to create a watch for pilots flying transatlantic flights. You can read more about the history of GMT watches in Christian's review of the Rolex GMT Master II. But for now, back to Citizen.
I recently learned that Citizen has added several new GMT models to their Attesa line of high-end quartz watches. I was particularly struck by the unique, stark, and tough look of the Attesa ATD53-2903. Of course, as is typical of most of the coolest Japanese watches, it's only available in Asia, but since watches know no borders, I was still able to find plenty of information:

• List price is ¥68,250 (about $600 USD as of 12/21/07).
  • 39mm in diameter, 10.9mm thick, and 47g heavy.
  • 24-hour indices on the chapter ring.
  • DLC coated titanium case (read more about Diamond Like Carbon).
  • Eco-drive (solar-powered quartz).
  • 100m water resistant (about 330 feet).
  • Atomic Radio-set (but only receives the Japanese time signal — bummer).
  • ±15 seconds per month (with no radio reception).
  • Sapphire crystal with anti-reflective coating.
  • Calf skin band (would really love to see a matching DLC titanium bracelet option).

I really like the look of the Citizen Attesa ATD53-2903. I like the clean and readable face since I find that jet lag reduces my comprehension, and I get very grumpy about unreadable watches while traveling internationally. This Attesa has the sort of clutter-free face and clean, distinct hands (plus nice little touches like anti-glare sapphire crystal) that make for a great travel companion.
There aren't a lot of affordable (i.e. quartz) GMT watches out there, so I'm pleased so see such an attractive new entry from Citizen. If only if were 5-band atomic like the new Oceanus 5 Motors, I think Citizen would have one of the best looking affordable travel watches out there.

Link ----->>>> http://www.watchreport.com/citizen/index.html

Last edited by andrema on Sat May 01, 2010 9:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 2:17 pm

Love GMT...

Love DLC...

39mm... Citizen DLC's... Icon_sad

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:05 pm

Very nice. Too bad its 3 years old and no longer available. I knew that Bodying was absurd with their pricing but look at this:

Citizen Attesa Solar Radio Mens Watch # ATD53-2903

Price: USD
$27,170.00

Sale: USD
$16,029.99

You Save: USD
$11,140.01 (41%)
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:47 pm

How about this Citizen PMX56-3002 (JDM Pro-Master DLC) ...saw this review at WUS http://forums.watchuseek.com/showthread.php?t=287137

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0003-07212009-000-DSC_0003

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0082-07212009-030-DSC_0082

Specs (taken from Citizen JP and ebay):

JDM Model# PMX56-3002
Eco-Drive quartz caliber B872
JIS/ISO 200m WR
Mineral crystal
Duratect + DLC 'monoque' case & bracelet
Aluminum unidirectional bezel
Date calender
6 month power reserve (power save mode)
Low battery warning
Hacking
Overcharge prevention function
Double lock clasp with diver extension
Case diameter ~43mm including crown
Case thickness ~11mm
Lug width 20mm
Bracelet width 20mm tapers to 18mm at clasp
Weight 103 grams

I apologize “pre-review” for the length and for those with low bandwidth connections. There are a lot of large pictures here Citizen DLC's... Icon_smile

Foreword on appearance and substance of Citizens DLC, a protective coating over the hardened Duratect Ti. Scratch resistant, but not scratch proof.

There is a ton of info and examples on the web about DLC, Duratect, White IP, Black IP etc... but this is my observation. I've owned 2 Duratect+DLC Citizens.

My history with Citizen's Duratect+DLC proves that hairline scratches are essentially a thing of the past. You think you have one then rub it clean and it actually was the residue from whatever rubbed against it. BUT DLC is not scratch proof. I scratched my Attesa pretty good on a piece of galvanized steel. And yes it showed a slight tinge of dirty light gray Ti.

The DLC coating is very slick....it reminds me of Teflon on a non-stick pan. This obviously enhances it's scratch resistance and imo is DLC's strongest attribute against scratches.

As for appearance, the way this watch looks in some of the pictures is very deceiving. By deceiving I mean this watch really takes on the appearance of it's surroundings and is very dependent on the type of lighting you are in. This is sweet! It's “chameleon-like” qualities are something I really like.

Sometimes it almost looks as if you are wearing a “stained” SS watch. Sometimes it is gunmetal black. Sometimes it looks inky black. The polished areas (case sides, bracelet link ends and sides, clasp sides including buttons) are polished to a mirror-like finish.

Face/Dial/Bezel

This thing is sporty. The dial size is small. My guess is around ~30mm. For this reason it wears much smaller then specs suggest. This watch is one of those “quick glance” time tellers. I love this in a watch.

With the reds at 12, 9, 6 and on the bezel it contrasts nicely with the chrome bordered indexes/date window, and the deep black satin dial. You will notice also the solid chrome “block” indexes at the 1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 8, 10, and 11 positions.

It's difficult to tell by most pictures, but there is an even darker black ring that encompasses the dial. It's width is about half of the 1 o'clock index. You can barely make it out in the 1st picture below and it is best shown if you scroll down to the very last picture.

The lumed indexes, hour and minute hands, and second hand are all “Citizen blue.” Generous application means the lume is bright and long lasting. There is a lume pip at the 12 o'clock bezel position as well. More on the lume later.

The Promaster logo on the dial is really sharp. The text is printed and very detailed as you will see in macro.

The bezel is all aluminum. I like the colors a lot. It is mechanically smooth, unidirectional, and has 60 very deliberate clicks. The red and white numbers on the bezel look metallic to me (think new auto paint) and the black part a high gloss enamel. Yup I hear ya, why not DLC the bezel? It looks chip vulnerable, but I've knocked it a few times and all is well. We will see in time.

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0049-07212009-024-DSC_0049

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0050-07212009-053-DSC_0050

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0056-07212009-025-DSC_0056

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0227-07212009-042-DSC_0227

Case/Crystal

The case is monocoque and made from solid Ti Duratect+DLC, and has a screw down crown. The crown sports the Promaster logo and is smooth turning in all 3 positions as well as screwing open and closed. Sides of the case are “mirror-like” polished and the lug tops, case top, and case back are all brushed Ti similar looking to brushed SS.

The case back text is etched and is very sleek/smooth. It rests just about flush with the case bottom. This makes it very comfortable on the wrist.

The crystal is mineral. It is not a reflection magnet like many flat crystal watches...maybe because the crystal is recessed below the bezel? Reflections are not an issue.

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0025-07212009-017-DSC_0025

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0026-07212009-018-DSC_0026

Citizen DLC's... DSC_0084-07212009-033-DSC_0084

Senior Associate
Anomaly

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 5:50 pm

Oh man if that were 45mm!!!

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 6:40 pm

Now thatCitizen DLC's... DSC_0049-07212009-024-DSC_0049is a nice black watch! Wish it had Sapphire.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeSat May 01, 2010 11:24 pm

Citizen DLC's... 532832_l02Citizen DLC's... 532832_l03Citizen DLC's... 532833_l03

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 4:52 am

I never knew that Citizen had such an awesome collection. These watches from Citizen look quite sophisticated and at the same time looks quite elegant too. I think that this one would be a very good one to add to you collection of your favourites. This one is sure to impress many, especially, the people who have a craving for the gadgets showing time.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitimeTue May 04, 2010 9:38 pm

These Citizens are REALLY something ! Citizen DLC's... 46145 Citizen DLC's... 46145 Citizen DLC's... 46145 I always thought
the whole Eco-Drive theme was AMAZING. However, adding that, along with
all of these great specifications, including DLC is pretty neat. The finish seems
top notch, as do all of the characteristics with these ! Citizen DLC's... 803574 The PMX56-3002
looks especially good with the orange touches too ! Some extra nice Citizens !
Thanks !

Citizen DLC's... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Citizen DLC's...   Citizen DLC's... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Citizen DLC's...
Page 1 of 1