The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Empty
PostSubject: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Scratch proof, dressier look, nice weight...

...why don't we see more Tungsten watches?

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 2:46 pm

Most people do not like 40 lb. watches. It's just not comfortable.
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 3:34 pm

I would like to see more tungsten.

Specifically brushed tungsten - contradictory I know.
I want the scratch proof properties with less shiny (blingy) look.
Don't mind the weight at all for 44-47mm
But wouldn't want to see a Leviathan in tungsten. affraid

Have 2 so far with one on order.
My total will be 2 SL chronos (black, yellow dials), and 1 Croton Auto.
Love them all.
--
jaw

Last edited by jaw on Sat May 22, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Not a fan of tungsten myself so I don't miss 'em Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_tongue

Seriously, just too shiny for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 3:56 pm

HEAVY, shiny, magnetic issues as I recall more so than 316, and did I mention that they are HEAVY. Shocked
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 4:41 pm

It is odd that we don't see more Tungsten watches imho ! Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Suspect
The scratch proof theme alone would seem to be HUGE positive.
Plus alot of people like heavy watches, so maybe they will become
more popular as time goes by. Maybe they will be the "next big
thing" or trend ! Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_smile At the very least, we could hopefully see a
few more choices in tungsten out there ! Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? 803574

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitimeSat May 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Tungsten has magnetic properties,but not like you'd think.Tungsten is paramagnetic.It doesn't produce a magnetic field.Actually,
its the perfect meterial for a watch case.While steels can become magnetised.tungston orients towards the magnetic field,but when the field
is gone,tungsten doesn't retain the magnetism.Basically,tunsten doesn't attract the field like steel does.

Tungsten in its raw form is heavy and brittle.Has a dull gray appearance.In its purest form,its easier to work than most steels.
It can be worked by forging,exruding and sintering.It also has the highest melting point.

Tungsten in its purest form can be cut with a hacksaw.Thats counter to what I've heard about this material.
But when combined in small amounts to other alloys,like steel,the steel can take on super hard properties.Mainly a military metal used
in missiles for bunker busting.
So when used for watch cases,it can have any color or finish you require.Rado has been using it for years.
But if the tungsten isn't pure when shaped,it can scratch.You all remember some of the swiss legend tungsten watches where
the bracelets scratched.This also happened to invicta. using poorly made tungsten to save afew bucks will always bite you in the ass later.
Invictas excuse was that colored tungsten wasn't as hard as pure tungsten.Thats not correct.Makes for a good myth though.
I think using tungsten carbide as a coating on steel is a much better solution.You get the hardness of tungsten with the lighter weight of steel.
Seiko and Citizen use this coating process on some steel and titanium watches with great success, even though they call it by another name,
its still a tungsten coated product.
I'd ask Chris from DWC about the chemical makeup of this.He works in this field.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?   Why aren't there more Tungsten watches? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why aren't there more Tungsten watches?
Page 1 of 1