The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

saw this on another forum

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

saw this on another forum Empty
PostSubject: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 7:34 pm

I was looking at a topic at WL's and started reading the info posted about WG's. I haven't posted or been back to WG's in about a year so I didn't know what is going on with this place and don't care what they do. but in reading these posts about WL's, I came across two posts that caught my attention, this combined with many of the forums being private unless your logged in was strange. my first thought were the societies in the movies Equilibrium and V for Vendetta. Man this place seems to be fenced in so tight these days!
is it all about sells there?

saw this on another forum P1

saw this on another forum V_for_vendetta

saw this on another forum 1201
saw this on another forum 1202
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 8:14 pm

hahaha... saw those movies ....yeah Control, in all its forms, is an ongoing world theme, depending how one views societies and Power...

The internet is like the wild west, and any one can do anything they like...forums are very prone to scammers, trouble makers etc...so some go private or by authorization only....

Living outside the Americas now for 7 years, in Japan, I get to view the WEST with different eyes. Japan is quit a controlled society despite its apparent westernized look.

The USA, for instance, was founded on the principle of freedom from political and religous control of the Church in Europe, so this individual right of personal freedom rings very deep in the American psyche.
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:01 pm

interesting reply thian being out of the us for awhile and looking in
good or bad, I think Americans in general don't care what other counties in the world think about them, but it's interesting in what they do.

I know these are only forums and watches and I don't get to worried about what others do like some people.
I haven't been around long enough to see the progression but from reading many post from long time wis it is interesting how these watch forums have evolved.
People often say they only go to wus for the sells and it used to be much better place, small forums allow just about anything go to get members but wonder how long this can last, if they grew to 5,000 members and anything goes it would certainly be chaos, rules would have to be applied.

Being a WG for over a year, things have changed a lot, and not in a good way due mostly to the sells that they want to generate for the watch companies that are the sponsors.
It seems to be a common practice with watch forums but hugely amplified with WG's, protect our sponsors and edit threads or posts to keep the buyers/members in line to continue buying.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:12 pm

First...BOTH movies were great!

2nd, How can ANY SERIOUS WATCH COLLECTOR take watchgeeks seriously?

There I said it!

I know people say they have built friendships there...GREAT!

Real friends don't let friends watchgeek!

DWC, XMT, other small member forums not driven by sponsors or profit...

...bring your friends to these type of sites where WATCHES and not how many value pays you can get matter.

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:23 pm

Anomaly wrote:

they are great movies!

Anomaly wrote:

I agree, but like some do, is calling them an ass really work or just make them look like one?

Last edited by barnbuilder on Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:25 pm

barnbuilder wrote:
Anomaly wrote:

they are great movies!

Anomaly wrote:

I agree, but like some do, is calling them an ass really work or just make them look like one?

Don't hate the PERSON, hate the site...LOL!

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:47 pm

We welcome all voices here, the informed and the deluded.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:51 pm

In the case of WGs, I think many people have left. Of their own free will or having been banned. For many, WG is their first forum and they may not be as interested in watches as just the social aspect of it. I think those people who are really into watches in general have branched out into other places. WGs is way too SNBC centric to really hold my interest. I rarely post there anymore but log in once in a while. I have issues with the people who run the site not the members as a whole. So it pisses me off when I see the group as a whole labelled one way or another.
More people would join here or DWC if you guys were glamorous TV stars. Lets face it, thats how they get most of them in the door. Some stay, some tire of the limited forum scope, or BS or whatever and move on.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 9:57 pm

Again...I have NO issue with the MEMBERS in general but like you said, the owners, the practices...if my BEST friend were there, I would say flat out, "dude, stay if you want, but I'm out of this Invicta driven billboard..."

Hmm...this is sounding familiar again...LMAO!

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:41 pm

merichar wrote:
In the case of WGs, I think many people have left. Of their own free will or having been banned. For many, WG is their first forum and they may not be as interested in watches as just the social aspect of it. I think those people who are really into watches in general have branched out into other places. WGs is way too SNBC centric to really hold my interest. I rarely post there anymore but log in once in a while. I have issues with the people who run the site not the members as a whole. So it pisses me off when I see the group as a whole labelled one way or another.
More people would join here or DWC if you guys were glamorous TV stars. Lets face it, thats how they get most of them in the door. Some stay, some tire of the limited forum scope, or BS or whatever and move on.

I agree Mark.
I was getting bored with the place, then Alans and Alains access was being blocked, that's how this placed started.
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:43 pm

One of my favorite quotes ever from any movie...

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the
more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis
persona. VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both
victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere
veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified
and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding
vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of
volition.

[carves V into poster on wall]
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in
vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the
vigilant and the virtuous.

[giggles]
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me
simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me
V.
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:48 pm

great quote and scene in the movie James!

TVDinner wrote:
One of my favorite quotes ever from any movie...

But on this most auspicious of nights, permit me then, in lieu of the
more commonplace sobriquet, to suggest the character of this dramatis
persona. VoilĂ ! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both
victim and villain by the vicissitudes of Fate. This visage, no mere
veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished.
However, this valorous visitation of a by-gone vexation, stands vivified
and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin van-guarding
vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of
volition.

[carves V into poster on wall]
The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta, held as a votive, not in
vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the
vigilant and the virtuous.

[giggles]
Verily, this vichyssoise of verbiage veers most verbose, so let me
simply add that it's my very good honor to meet you and you may call me
V.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 11:07 pm

Anomaly wrote:

2nd, How can ANY SERIOUS WATCH COLLECTOR take watchgeeks seriously?

There I said it!

I know people say they have built friendships there...GREAT!

DWC, XMT, other small member forums not driven by sponsors or profit...

...bring your friends to these type of sites where WATCHES and not how many value pays you can get matter.

Well said Alan. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: saw this on another forum   saw this on another forum Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

saw this on another forum
Page 1 of 1