The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

WTB Posts........what has been your experience?

Go down 
+2
Anomaly
Northwestguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Empty
PostSubject: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:06 pm

Have you ever answered a WTB post? I have on 2 occasions (granted, not alot of experience) and both were similar. When I have seen a WTB post and I happen to have that watch and I am thinking of putting it up for sale, I contact the OP. I have assumed (and we all know about assumptions...........90% of the time they are wrong) that the would-be buyer has been looking for a watch and hasn't found one and I would think he knows what he is getting into and what he is asking for.............Right? WRONG!!!! In both cases, the buyers wanted to low ball the asking price and/or trade something of theirs for my watch. Today, I told the guy that I was thinking of putting up a watch of mine for sale when I came across his post and I was giving him first chance before I posted. He wanted picks and info and I obliged. The next pm I get from him was he didn't have enough moneyand would I be willing to budge on my price. He also states he doesn't know what these go for. I again gave him some info regarding preowned and costs and I said good luck finding what you want. He returns a pm with a money offer $250.00 below asking plus a trade on his watch (not to be named). I said thanks but, no.

Have you had any similar experiences? Don't know if I will ever answer a WTB again. WTB Posts........what has been your experience? 71883
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:36 pm

Good topic....

I have answered a few WTB ads, all were for straps. I sold a black leather Debaufre straps, some rubber Ocean 7 straps, and a Breitling rubber strap.

I think I came down $5 at most on my asking price on any of them...

I guess everyone wants a good deal but most of us have been doing this long enough now that we know when an offer is...too low, bordering on insulting even.

I did answer one when I was trying to sell my Panerai. The guy emails me back and says "I can get the same watch from my AD for 35% off retail, are you willing to lower you price?"

I was like dude "if you can get a brand new one for 35% off retail, why do you want to buy mine used?"

I later asked him the name of his AD cause I "had a buddy who was looking for a new Panerai..."

The guy was like "oh you friend can't get the same deal I can..."

RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT!

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 10:56 pm

Typically, I put up a WTB when I am ready to buy a watch. Unfortunately, when I get responses, the asking price is WAY out of line...not a little, a lot!

I don't know if the people are hoping that the WTB person is dumb or uninformed, but they definitely are trying to take advantage of the situation. What they don't realize is that I do my research on the watch components and pricing. I am affraid that some don't do their homework and end up paying too much!

Good topic!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:03 pm

andrema wrote:
Typically, I put up a WTB when I am ready to buy a watch. Unfortunately, when I get responses, the asking price is WAY out of line...not a little, a lot!

I don't know if the people are hoping that the WTB person is dumb or uninformed, but they definitely are trying to take advantage of the situation. What they don't realize is that I do my research on the watch components and pricing. I am affraid that some don't do their homework and end up paying too much!

Good topic!

Hey Mark, you are part of the 10% of WTB posters that I was making mention of. I need to run into more of you-kind of people. I assumed all WTB posters were well informed and ready. In my situation, I think my prices were below average for the mint conditions of the watches........Again, I only had 2 experiences so I really can't generalize here.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:29 pm

I usually post a WTB for a watch after a while of having no luck with other means...sort of a desperate stab WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_biggrin

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:48 pm

I've sold three watches to people asking for a certain model-usually a discontinued one. I dictated price and did'nt budge any on them and they sold. Typically, I don't sell watches because of laziness. So my attitude is you asked, here's the deal, buy/don't buy from me-whatever. Anybody have a Junghans Vista Chrono in Titanium they are looking to unload cheap?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:04 am

Haven't had any experience with WTB posts John !..I guess
I haven't been involved in the forums that long. WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_smile However,
this is some VERY interesting information you, and everyone
is giving. Honestly, seems like answering these posts can be
a REAL experience at times !

..Thanks for this insight ! WTB Posts........what has been your experience? 46145

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 1:25 am

I've put up a couple of WTBs with no responses.
Back to top Go down
max
Associate
max

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitimeFri Aug 13, 2010 10:43 am

I responded to 2 WTBs with great results. I provided references and there was no haggling. One watch was under $400 and the other under $200 though.

Ive never posted a WTB so I cant comment there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WTB Posts........what has been your experience?   WTB Posts........what has been your experience? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WTB Posts........what has been your experience?
Page 1 of 1