The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New Camera...

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 10:04 am

I have been thinking about a new camera but have kinda had the mindset of "why spend $500+ for a camera just for better macro shots?" so I have held off...

Yesterday after church we stop by target and I see a Sony A330 on clearance for $329, good price. I ask an associate if that is the only one they have and he says yes, but because of that it would be discounted even more. He does a quick scan, $230! Well they go to the back to get the stuff that should come in the box and it is missing the battery and the charger. For this he takes the camera down to $197 and I can return it if I can't get a battery or charger.

So I go to RITZ camera and have them check the camera out, everything is fine. A battery and charge would cost me $120, I'd still be below the cost of the camera for any price I have seen online or in a store ($469). We try a a macro lens on it and you can get REALLY close but he said, let's try this. On the regular lens, he attached a 10X Macro Convert, the VISIBLE difference was almost unnoticeable, the price difference, $150!

I decide to hold off on the battery and charger because I wanna try another Target and see if they might have it. I go to another Target and sure enough, they have the camera on clearance and the display is the only one they have. Since I know the camera I already have is in good shape, I ask if I can just get the battery and charger from them. They guy says sure to which I ask, how much? He calls his manager on one of those walkie-talkie things, explains the situation and the manager says, "just defect out our camera and GIVE him the battery and charger"...NICE!

So I walk away with a brand new, Digital SLR, 18-55 lens, and macro converter for $245! The macro lens is $199 and can always go back and get it if I am not happy with the converter shots...

New Camera... Sony_a380

NOW I have lots of reading and learning to do!

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 11:34 am

Nice snag! There is a big learning curve compared to a point n shoot. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 11:43 am

Hobbit712 wrote:
Nice snag! There is a big learning curve compared to a point n shoot. Good luck.

Yeah Aperture and Shutter speed will be fun to "play with"...

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 12:51 pm

nice camera, can't wait to see all the new photos and macro shots
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeMon Oct 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Holy COW ! Shocked ..That looks like a SUPER camera, and for that
price TOO ! ..Can't beat that !!! ..It is going to make taking pictures
of watches, and everything else MUCH more fun ! ..Congrats on
getting your new camera here !!!

Senior Associate
Anomaly

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 9:53 am

Well folks, this story takes a VERY interesting turn...

I start working on some shots, macro shots and just don't feel I am getting as close to the watch as I want to. I get out my point and shoot and it can focus MUCH closer to the dial than the SLR. I go up to Ritz Camera and talk to one of their experts. They get a $1700 Nikon body and put on a $1000 macro lens. Guess what, the point and shoot can STILL focus closer to the watch and get a tighter shot than the NIKON set up can!!!!

The people were as shocked as I was. There IS a new Nikon point and shoot out, the L110 that you can literally put the camera lens on the crystal of the watch and it will focus, so I will probably be getting this camera soon.

The little experiment REALLY made me question the SUPERIORITY of an SLR camera over the state of the art point and shoots. Yeah the sensor is bigger in the SLR than the point and shoot, but unless your actually going to PRINT your photographs, this REALLY is not a big issue (for me anyway)...

What do you guys think?

Senior Consigliere

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitimeTue Oct 19, 2010 2:26 pm

I think you might really be onto something ! New Camera... 803574 Even though I honestly don't
know a ton about cameras, it seems that for the most part regular point and
shoot cameras can do a great job. Whether it just be taking everyday kind of
pictures, or some nice pictures of watches. There might be more bells and
whistles on the more expensive cameras, and I'm sure they do take outstanding
photos. However, many of the point and shoot cameras have more than enough
cool features, and take fantastic pictures from what I have seen. Add in the fact
that you have gotten familiar with Nikons and how they work, and this new one
that you are talking about getting should be perfect !

New Camera... Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Camera...   New Camera... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Camera...
Page 1 of 1