The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Have you bought a better Camera...?

Go down 
+5
ramirez1970
smellody
andrema
Northwestguy
Anomaly
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

Have you bought a better Camera...? Empty
PostSubject: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:26 pm

Since you started collecting, have you purchased a better camera to take better picture of your watches?

I personally went from a Kodak "point and shoot" to a Nikon CoolPIx, "point and shoot..."

I've thought about getting a camera with interchangeable lens so I could do better macro shots, but I always end up thinking, "I'd rather spend that money on a watch!"

So, next $500 you get, do you a better camera or another watch?

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:31 pm

No to the camera. We just don't take that many pictures of anything. So the HP Phototsmart R927 that I received (free, score!) through a TV show I worked on three years ago, still works ok for us. Its 8.2 MP, 3x zoom, can do video (never used that option)

$500 would definately go towards a watch. Or a weekend trip.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:33 pm

a watch for me, I enjoy taking pictures but watches are my real passion. I need to get a new camera soon though, I dropped mine and the screen is damaged, can hardly see what I'm shooting.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Definitely towards a watch. My point and shoot is OK for what I need.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeMon Feb 01, 2010 11:47 pm

So far we are batting 100%.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:09 am

I looked into buying an SLR last summer, wanted to be able to take REALLY nice family and nature photos. For the package I was looking at it was $1300. Glad I didn't buy it...
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:15 am

Camera...going on vacation soon to WDW, my Sony has way too much shutter lag!!
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:17 am

Watch(es)
Back to top Go down
ramirez1970
Associate
ramirez1970

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:21 am

I've been using the same point and shoot camera since I started collecting/flipping watches. I actually bought a decent entry level DSLR camera (Nikon D60 - I think) for my wife. I tried to use it once - too complicated. I wouldn't invest in a new camera for watch pics though I do appreciate some of the badass photogs here, on WUS, and on DWC.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:25 am

andrema wrote:
going on vacation soon to WDW,

Of course you are... keep it in the family. Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_wink
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:27 am

porschefan wrote:
andrema wrote:

Of course you are... keep it in the family. Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_wink
Can't beat the price man...don't ask, it will really piss people off!! Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:29 am

andrema wrote:
porschefan wrote:
andrema wrote:

Can't beat the price man...don't ask, it will really piss people off!! Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_biggrin

About the same that I paid for the camera (mentioned above).
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:30 am

porschefan wrote:
andrema wrote:
porschefan wrote:
andrema wrote:

About the same that I paid for the camera (mentioned above).
Bought the trip at the same store Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
PoliMalaka
Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:43 am

New Camera. Although I'm happy with my point and shoot Canon A650. On manual it does a great job. I just need a better lighting setup.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:50 am

I've bought several cameras since I started watch collecting.... I have the same passion for cameras and photography as I do for watches.

Many weekends my wife and I will go out to a local park just to enjoy nature and take photos. I'm also an avid race fan and often take several hundred photos at a single event.

So my answer is definitely YES! I have bought better camera(S) since I started collecting watches...

AS AN ASIDE:

IMO, a better camera WILL NOT make for better photos in a purely aesthetic sense. Whether a photo is composed well is dependent on the artistic vision of the photographer. I'm sure many pro photogs could take better photos using a point-and-shoot than most amatures with a DSLR.

However a better camera if used properly will allow greater control over the technical details of the photograph.

Also don't fall for the megapixel "myth". There are so many other factors that are even more important to the overall image detail and resolution.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 1:55 am

Have to say a watch ! Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_smile Basically the camera is brand new
and I'm still learning with it. Taking pictures is fun, but a watch
or watches would be my choice with this one. Honestly I'll probably
have the camera for a long time too. So I guess watches definitely
win this battle for me ! Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_cheers

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 2:27 am

. . . . just got a new camera at Christmas time, to replace my Nikon Coolpix.

Wifey got a package deal on a Canon 780sd 12 MP digital zoom and macro with an extra battery, memory card and a case for back of $200. AND its red!!!! I love red. Still learning the settings, I like it so far . . . and I can still buy a watch cheers
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 4:26 am

What else would one do with a camera besides shoot watches??? Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_scratch

I'm on my second generation of cameras I bought specifically to photograph watches (which I also sell on eBay). My latest is this 10MP Lumix with a Leica lens.

Have you bought a better Camera...? Panasonic-lumix-dmc-z33-tz7k-slant1

It seems to be working pretty well so far: Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_biggrin

Have you bought a better Camera...? Long1_800
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:52 am

Great pic Tom and your sig is freakin' hilarious!

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 10:56 am

Anomaly wrote:
That guy has some stong fingers!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 11:20 am

Anomaly wrote:

I was just about to post the same thing. I always thought wrestling was real... Have you bought a better Camera...? Lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:49 pm

I bought afew since starting watch collecting.I have a nikon d40x,a d60,a coolpix 80, sony dsc-h9. but with the right lighting all take good pictures.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 12:56 pm

yamahaki wrote:
I bought afew since starting watch collecting.I have a nikon d40x,a d60,a coolpix 80, sony dsc-h9. but with the right lighting all take good pictures.

Most important factor of all picture taking, good words Y!

Associate
Noisy Nova

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:51 pm

Same old Fuji S2.
I have upgraded the lens to one with Vibration Reduction.
It's a geezer thing. Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 02, 2010 6:52 pm

I bought a new DSLR in the past 4-5 months. The overwhelming reason was a new addition to the family that was upcoming. My wife gave the go ahead due to that reason. I found a GREAT price on a Canon 450D(Rebel XSI) at Walmart and could not pass up the price. It was about $150 less than any where else at the time. They were clearing out the inventory that day and I got lucky. I am still trying to learn all the functions but it is a fun process. The first few pics of watches with the new camera were not to my liking but they are getting better. I got a little frustrated and almost went back to older Canon P&S which is still a great little camera.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Have you bought a better Camera...?   Have you bought a better Camera...? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Have you bought a better Camera...?
Page 1 of 1