The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Zodiac prices... seriously?

Go down 
+2
jaw
Anomaly
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Zodiac prices... seriously? Empty
PostSubject: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 5:04 pm

Got an e-mail today from Zodiac... something about the "smokescreen" collection. All fine and well till you see the prices they are asking. Come on... sure they are nice watches, but seriously I would not dish out +$500 for any quartz watch, not even from a luxury brand. Call me what you will, but foolish I am not !!!

btw, for those interested here is the link:

http://www.zodiacwatches.com/en_US/shop/men_watches/smoke_screen.html?utm_source=mktgemail&utm_medium=online&utm_campaign=zodsmoke101410&PSID=POPMAILZODB2CSMOKE101410&cm_lm=sp:guy_c13@hotmail.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_ite=Smoke%20Screen%20Email%2010-15-10%20%281%29
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 5:41 pm

Yeah, it is quite ridiculous for a quartz watch...

...and this from former Zodiac Fan Boy!

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:43 pm

Agreed. Precisely why I waited over a year to get my ZMX-03 for $299.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 6:59 pm

Smokescreen...an appropriate name!! Way to pricey!
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Orologio wrote:
Got an e-mail today from Zodiac... something about the "smokescreen" collection. All fine and well till you see the prices they are asking. Come on... sure they are nice watches, but seriously I would not dish out +$500 for any quartz watch, not even from a luxury brand. Call me what you will, but foolish I am not !!!

http://www.zodiacwatches.com/en_US/shop/men_watches/smoke_screen.html?utm_source=mktgemail&utm_medium=online&utm_campaign=zodsmoke101410&PSID=POPMAILZODB2CSMOKE101410&cm_lm=sp:guy_c13@hotmail.com&cm_ven=Spop-Email&cm_ite=Smoke%20Screen%20Email%2010-15-10%20%281%29

How about $550.00 for the auto?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:06 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Orologio wrote:

Honestly I don't wanna come off as a movt snob, most of my watches are chinese mech/auto movts... But the auto movt Zodiac uses can be had in many many lower end watches (read Swiss Legend) so I would still be hard pressed to put that kind of money on the table. And i know what you're thinking, "it's a swiss movt what more can he want"... well, on paper it's swiss with a mysterious multi-layered history not unlike a watch brand I used to collect (read Invicta).

Simple fact is I would be much more willing to spend that kind of money on an ETA movt than on a Claro Semag. Not that it's not a good movt, but it is not a pricey movt (hence it should not effect the cost of the watch significantly) considering the watches it finds it's way into.

And just to prove I'm no snob just a practical realist (read Virgo)... if it was driven by a Miyota 9015 i would consider one of the Oceanairs for say $300. Just because I feel the miyota is a superior movt all around, country of manufacture plays no role.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:23 pm

I thought the same thing...one I looked at in the email was $695.....F that, I can buy a new Oris automatic for that.....

Zodiac prices... seriously? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:35 pm

It's a good point you are making Guy ! Smile ..I think the prices might be msrp though.
Many times when I have gotten a Zodiac from say Metrowatch which I think is actually
Zodiac, the prices are much lower. I was lucky enough to get my only Oceanaire, and
ZMX from them last year for a really really low price ! cheers ..It was WAY below what
they had them listed for at the Zodiac site at the time. I guess it also all depends on
where and when you decide to get the watches. Sometimes when watches first come
out, they cost more then they will later on down the road as well. It's kind of like when
a new TV, computer, home theater system etc. comes out at first. Might also have to
do with where the watch is coming from. Have noticed that some places unfortunately
have the watches at that msrp price, and that is usually TOO high. So, you are right
about these prices sir, they do seem high, but the key is to get them at a regular price
like Jaw did with his ZMX-03. Or find them on auction, or at an outlet like Alan used
to do. In any case, it's pretty interesting Guy ! ..I just happened to get that same
Zodiac E-mail today also, but thanks for the link anyway sir ! Very Happy

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 10:36 pm

Orologio wrote:
Northwestguy wrote:
Orologio wrote:

Honestly I don't wanna come off as a movt snob, most of my watches are chinese mech/auto movts... But the auto movt Zodiac uses can be had in many many lower end watches (read Swiss Legend) so I would still be hard pressed to put that kind of money on the table. And i know what you're thinking, "it's a swiss movt what more can he want"... well, on paper it's swiss with a mysterious multi-layered history not unlike a watch brand I used to collect (read Invicta).

Simple fact is I would be much more willing to spend that kind of money on an ETA movt than on a Claro Semag. Not that it's not a good movt, but it is not a pricey movt (hence it should not effect the cost of the watch significantly) considering the watches it finds it's way into.

And just to prove I'm no snob just a practical realist (read Virgo)... if it was driven by a Miyota 9015 i would consider one of the Oceanairs for say $300. Just because I feel the miyota is a superior movt all around, country of manufacture plays no role.

Hey Guy! I'm with you on the price thing. I'm not so with you on the CL888.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3246972&rid=542

Swiss, Asian, doesn't matter so much to me. Function, looks, price does. BTW, Just sold my Oceanaire. It kept great time.....+8 seconds per day. If I wasn't in the hunt for a couple of new ones, I would have kept it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:14 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Orologio wrote:
Northwestguy wrote:
Orologio wrote:

Hey Guy! I'm with you on the price thing. I'm not so with you on the CL888.

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tree&goto=3246972&rid=542

Swiss, Asian, doesn't matter so much to me. Function, looks, price does. BTW, Just sold my Oceanaire. It kept great time.....+8 seconds per day. If I wasn't in the hunt for a couple of new ones, I would have kept it.

One day I hope to be pleasantly surprised with a CL888, but from what I've seen and read about the movt it's hit or miss. I don't have the kind of money to drop on those kind of odds. Added to that from what i've seen I don't like the sweep of the CL888... call me crazy. For me it goes into the miyota 82xx series category, and not something i would spend +$200 on. But we all know I'm not well Smile
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Guy Said:

"One day I hope to be pleasantly surprised with a CL888, but from what I've seen and read about the movt it's hit or miss. I don't have the kind of money to drop on those kind of odds. Added to that from what i've seen I don't like the sweep of the CL888... call me crazy. For me it goes into the miyota 82xx series category, and not something i would spend +$200 on. But we all know I'm not well Smile"

We are all not well Guy! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 21, 2010 4:13 am

they are an overpriced watch new
they need more autos
I do like the CL888 and also think it's a better quality and looking movt than th 8215
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Zodiac prices... seriously?   Zodiac prices... seriously? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Zodiac prices... seriously?
Page 1 of 1