The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Rising watch prices bother you?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
thianwong
Senior Associate

Rising watch prices bother you? Empty
PostSubject: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 9:21 am

From the watches seen on this great forum, many of you guys have expendable cash! hehe! But in general, have you noticed that watches are now rather 'expensive'? I know that in Japan they are! According to what I see on the auctions, prices have risen quite a bit in the last two years. Seikos, for instance, have doubled, and I mean everything from wabi models to higer end divers.

What is going on? Is it the economy? Here there has been a watch trend again for the last two years and watch prices have risen. The same watch I bought for under $100 is now posted for twice that!

I am not cheaping out, having bought several Omegas over $1000 each. Maybe it more noticeable with Japanese collectibles.....your feelings!?
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 11:17 am

Nope...not a bit.

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 25, 2012 3:09 pm

What a great question, and topic Thian. Rising watch prices bother you? 46145 ..For the most part, the watches that I
look at don't go up in price much if at all. Guess it's because most of them aren't that
expensive to begin with. Also there are many sales, along with different promotions which
happen during various holiday's, and times of the year that bring the watch prices down
here as well. However, with the higher end watches, as well as in your case Thian, the
rising prices do bother me. Mainly because you might have had an eye on a watch, and
known the price for a while, and then all of a sudden to see them go up must be really
annoying. ..Guess it all does have to do with the economy like you pointed out before
sir. Whether it's a small micro brand, or a major brand that we like. It must be that the
different parts of the watch have gone up in price for them, so as a result, the price is
going up for us too later on. Not sure if I'm right here, but it's really interesting to try
and figure out Thian. ..Thanks !

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 7:30 am

I admit to some non-logical thinking on my part....I mean, I hesitate to buy a high end Seiko diver for around $1000 or more......and yet I would buy a vintage Omega for under or near $2000 Smile Strange....hahaha!
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 10:12 am

This hobby is hard to figure out Thian!

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 2:08 pm

That means my vintage collection is more valuable than ever!! I always want vintage prices to rise, it's what you hope for as a collector of anything. I search out the best deals on whatever I buy, so prices are what they are, I can always choose not to buy.

Buyers are actually making this happen, by paying too much....I recently sold a white Samurai for $10 more than I paid for it 4 years ago. Where else can you keep something for 4 years and make money! I was actually offered $50 more than I was asking by one buyer!!

Rising watch prices bother you? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 5:05 pm

Yes, Gary, I have seen some of your collection and many pieces, the Japanese ones have appreciated in price now! So, contrary to opinion that watch collecting is not profitable, yours and some of mine have nearly doubled in value! haha! I found and bought a clean Seiko 6306 for $400usd here in Japan. Now it could sell for around $700, I bet! Smile
Back to top Go down
barnbuilder
Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 26, 2012 11:02 pm

the price of auto and mechanical movement parts have gone up alot, it's sometimes cheaper to by a used watch for the parts in many cases now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitimeTue Feb 28, 2012 4:51 am

affraid Do rising food prices bother you, or have you found alternatives to food............. bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rising watch prices bother you?   Rising watch prices bother you? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rising watch prices bother you?
Page 1 of 1