The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are there any fellow watch people...

Go down 
+7
Anomaly
jaw
andrema
sixtysix
smellody
TAZMAN64
AtomicTom
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Are there any fellow watch people... Empty
PostSubject: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 10:54 pm

in your family who are interested in watches that you can talk to about watches
over the upcoming Holidays ? Smile ..Are they interested in watches just a little ?
Alot ? Or really not at all ?

Also, do they usually ask for a watch at the holiday season, and vice versa ?

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:03 pm

not any of them tom, when ever i get a new watch i hear the same ole shit "it looks just like your other ones" that why it fun to belong to the forums so you can talk watches with people who know watches and understand what it feels like when you get a new watch and you never have to hear "why do you need another watch" or " didnt you just buy one"
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:29 pm

I am very lucky. My dad and brother both like watches. Amazingly, my five closest friends are to some degree into watches. I am the designated bracelet adjuster and battery changer for dad, brother, and three friends.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:47 pm

I have one...he has an Oris and a Rolex, looking for a Breitling but whenever is OK...he at least has some interest.

Are there any fellow watch people... Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:14 am

Nope...I could be wearing a Timex for all they know!

Senior Associate
jaw

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:35 am

Nope. Just me. Sad
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 1:21 am

Will be going to my parents for Thanksgiving and my dad LOVES watches so it will be fun to take the ones he hasn't seen yet...

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:29 am

People will ask me if they have a question about watches, or they see I've got a new one, but noone is really into them though. I've probably bored all of them at one time or another with more than they care to know about horology in general.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 am

My father. He is the one that got me interested in watches since Ive been a child. Whenever we talk , part of the conversation is always about watches, and whenever we go out to lunch or breakfast or I go over his house, we are always looking at each others wrists to see if there is anything new.....lol.....My girlfriend is somewhat into watches, but not like I am....she really doesnt notice if I have a new watch on, I have to tell here, but I can sit there and talk about it with her, and she is at least half interested in it...unlike me when she talks about a new purse...................zero interest..... Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:05 pm

A couple of guys here at work are watch nuts too but they don't hit up the forums with their wares - they got the good stuff but aren't into yapping about them online.
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 10:19 pm

I'm the Lone Ranger around my house. My family members either don't wear watches or just want a fashionable quartz. Ugh!

My watchmaker is about the only watch person I can talk to. Poor me... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:17 pm

It's REALLY interesting hearing about all of your different experiences with this
everyone ! Very Happy ..Have always thought that if the people who didn't really care
much for watches could somehow get into them, they would DEFINITELY see
what we see in the hobby. At least like Steve said we have forums like this to
talk with people who do understand watches, and feel the same way about
them, along with the hobby. Seems like if you have family or even friends to
enjoy watches with like Chris, Gary, Alan, TC, or Waruilewi then you are pretty
lucky. That is just GREAT imho ! cheers If you are fortunate enough to have people
come to you for advice or to answer questions like Mark (Merichar) that's got
to be EXTREMELY cool, and rewarding TOO ! ..For others like Mark, Jaw, and
Tom it's still more than NICE enough to have friends to talk with here I think !
..So I guess up until that time comes when we can get EVERYONE out there
into watches, we will just be thankful to have the family and friends, both out
there, as well as in here to talk to. Smile

Thanks everyone !!!!

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 01, 2010 11:35 pm

I have a couple brothers interested in watches, they have a few but not into it as bad as me Shocked
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 1:05 am

"NADDA" I'm the only one in my family with the illness. Everyone else is healthy!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 11:00 am

I will be spending the Christmas Holidays in Texas where my folks and sister lives. I go there to spend time with them , but most importantly with my son. He is really into my strap making and asks lots of questions, mostly about if I can make him one too! I also have a couple brother in-laws that have come to be very interested in watches. They always wore watches on bracelets till I made them straps. They both like to chat about watches, so that is cool.
BJ
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Hey, that's GREAT that your brothers are into watches also Ron ! Very Happy ..Who knows, before
you know it they might be into watches like you at some point soon. At the very least it's
VERY nice that they both are interested in watches, and you can talk to them about them.
..John, don't worry about being the only one in your family who likes watches sir. It seems
like most people just don't see what we see in the hobby. Fortunately there are a TON of
people like yourself HERE, so everything is just fine ! By the way, there is still plenty of time
for them to catch The Watch Fever ! alien ..Brian, that sounds like a FANTASTIC Christmas !
Spending time with the family like that is priceless, and having your son, along with brother-
in-laws into watches, and STRAPS sounds like the icing on the cake. Are there any fellow watch people... 46145 ..AWESOME stuff
once again everybody ! ..Thanks !!!

Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:10 pm

Hey Tom! I guess I can call the folks on the forums I belong to as Family! LOL. The WIS world really is a small one. It seems so big as we are in the midst of it all. There certainly are a lot of people who wear watches but in comparison, a far lesser number who talk about them
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 02, 2010 8:34 pm

Northwestguy wrote:
Hey Tom! I guess I can call the folks on the forums I belong to as Family! LOL. The WIS world really is a small one. It seems so big as we are in the midst of it all. There certainly are a lot of people who wear watches but in comparison, a far lesser number who talk about them

It's a great point you make about watch forums being like a family John ! Smile I think it's true to be
honest !cheers..Also agree with what you are saying about how BIG the hobby seems to us, but not
to everyday people who just wear watches, and don't really think much about them. I guess we're
just going to have to get more of those people into watches. Are there any fellow watch people... 803574

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 5:09 am

I have my watches and the gf has her shoes/purses Rolling Eyes .
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 3:03 pm

brian D wrote:
I have my watches and the gf has her shoes/purses Rolling Eyes .

That sounds cool Brian ! ..Never know though, those watches could eventually come into the
picture later on ! cheers

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 4:05 pm

Younger brother, thats where alot of the shopnbc watches ended up! Did give him a Rolex GMT Master from 1978 that i bought in 1983 for 400 bones and wore it until 1990. He wore it until 2005 and sold it for 1500 bones ( thats when he thought invicta was a better watch) and now he wishes he had it back! I wish i would have never gave it to him and strill had it, Nice guy, lucky he was family!!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 8:40 pm

cali kid wrote:
Younger brother, thats where alot of the shopnbc watches ended up! Did give him a Rolex GMT Master from 1978 that i bought in 1983 for 400 bones and wore it until 1990. He wore it until 2005 and sold it for 1500 bones ( thats when he thought invicta was a better watch) and now he wishes he had it back! I wish i would have never gave it to him and strill had it, Nice guy, lucky he was family!!

That's AWESOME Trevor ! Are there any fellow watch people... 803574 ..Having a brother like that to talk with, and teach about watches is pretty
outstanding. Then to also be NICE enough to give him a Rolex like that is unbelievably COOL of you !!!
Sounds like the two of you are very lucky to enjoy the same hobby sir !

P.S. Hopefully another one of those 1978 Rolex GMT Masters pops up again for you !

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 7:59 pm

He works for me tom and was nice enough to offer it back to me for 1500 dollars after i gave it to him 15 years earlier for FREE so i said screw you! Now i wished i would have ponied up the money, there are a few #1675 GMT Master I from those years that are now worth a fortune! Reason i didnt care for it was the little crown and plastic crystal, it would scratch so easy but would buff out like new, think you could do it about 15/20 times then it would be time for a new crystal! Got a Sub date 16610 from the late 80's and sold it when i picked up the 16613! Wish i would have kept the 16610 too!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeSat Dec 04, 2010 9:48 pm

cali kid wrote:
He works for me tom and was nice enough to offer it back to me for 1500 dollars after i gave it to him 15 years earlier for FREE so i said screw you! Now i wished i would have ponied up the money, there are a few #1675 GMT Master I from those years that are now worth a fortune! Reason i didnt care for it was the little crown and plastic crystal, it would scratch so easy but would buff out like new, think you could do it about 15/20 times then it would be time for a new crystal! Got a Sub date 16610 from the late 80's and sold it when i picked up the 16613! Wish i would have kept the 16610 too!

Wow !!! What an interesting story Trevor ! Are there any fellow watch people... 46145 Would have been nice to get that one back, but you
have more than made up for it with ALL of the outstanding watches in your collection now I think.
Plus both that #1675 GMT Master, and 16610 are bound to show up for a decent price from someone,
one of these days for you ! Smile

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 12:53 am

My little brother is a watch guy but he is back in Houston. I have a few friends here in Phoenix that are into it and we chat now and then
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 1:39 am

Hey Steve, great to see you here! Hope all is well!
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 2:16 am

Oh very nice Steve ! ..So you have a brother AND friends who enjoy watches !!! Are there any fellow watch people... 803574 That must
be TERRIFIC sir. ..By the way, were they always into watches, or did you happen to get them
interested in the hobby ?

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 1:32 am

My brother is as big a WIS as me and also on the forums, and we talk about watches all the time. My uncle is also a WIS, so whenever I'm home for the holidays we have a little family GTG Very Happy .
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitimeFri Dec 10, 2010 2:54 am

dshap wrote:
My brother is as big a WIS as me and also on the forums, and we talk about watches all the time. My uncle is also a WIS, so whenever I'm home for the holidays we have a little family GTG Very Happy .

That has to be SO much fun for you guys Dshap ! Smile Being on the same wavelength like that has to
be EXTRA special I would think. Sounds like a very Happy Holidays sir !

PostSubject: Re: Are there any fellow watch people...   Are there any fellow watch people... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are there any fellow watch people...
Page 1 of 1