The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?

Go down 
+4
TVDinner
smellody
jackprime1
AtomicTom
8 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Empty
PostSubject: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:08 pm

Ever notice how some people just don't understand why we
are so interested in Watches ? Maybe you see this in your
everyday lives or especially around the Holidays Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_santa ..when
you are seeing family or friends !..Sometimes it's fun to try
and get them into watches or explain about them. So..have
you ever tried talking about watches with non-watch fans
or people ? Or do you ever try and get those people interested
in watches ? Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_cheers Thanks.

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:31 pm

Wisconsin Proud wrote:
Waste of time........most could carel less about watches. Same with cars. As long as it runs.....

It's a good point you make there WP !..Sometimes that does seem
like the best way. Other times it seems like an opportunity to shed
some light on the hobby for people. Maybe tell them about watches,
various companies, styles, movements or history etc. Who knows,
you might just get them into watches and THAT would be cool !..
Then the next time you see them..they might be asking you questions
and talking watches with you ! Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_smile

Senior Associate
jackprime1

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:57 pm

I never do...They just dont understand...
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 27, 2009 11:58 pm

You mean all watches are not quartz and cost less than $25 bucks at K-Mart?
Back to top Go down
TVDinner
Senior Associate
TVDinner

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:14 am

I just try to relate it to something they DO collect or are into.

Like shoes, or pocketbooks, or gadgets, etc. If they are into any of those things, then it is easy to make the connection to my interest in watches....
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 1:02 am

Never. They just look at you like you're a Trekkie on the way to ComiCon.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:12 am

.. . . Mostly the people I work with hold my hobby in contempt. Silly, waste of money, you have a cell phone . . . it tells time, you only need one watch. I hear them all the time.

BUT . . . . one cat has caught the bug. He loves to cruise Walmart, TJ Maxx, Ross . . . any where he can get a cheap buy. He has quite a collection of $10 watches. Only problem, I still have break it to him that although a watch is watch . . . . a watch isn't really just a watch. But hey, he's on the right track . . . . just a little mis-guided . . . .
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:17 am

pacifichrono wrote:
Never. They just look at you like you're a Trekkie on the way to ComiCon.

Too Funny!

Live Lone and Prosper!

Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 8:19 am

I've tried a few times, I usually start by explaining what I am wearing, what's special about it, where i got it, why I like it, what is costs....

Then they either say, You paid $XXX for THAT! Or they show me thier watch and say '$10 at Wal-Mart' and look at me like they just opened my eyes to the awesomeness of Wal-Mart.

Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 8:39 am

I've tried but most people don't get it. The funniest one was my wife. She got me hooked on watches when she told me I needed a new watch after wearing the same one for 20+ years. I started getting the watch bug and she didn't understand. She said, "A watch is a watch!" Then I asked her about her jewelry. She said, "I can wear all of my jewelry if I want to." For which I replied that I could wear all of my watches but she wouldn't go anywhere with me. To make a long story short, my wife now has 14 watches Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Affraid ....yeah, a watch is a watch my Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? 500253!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:15 am

My children ask about them and seem to want to know.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 10:49 am

Only if they ask. After this many years I still don't understand why there are some guys who just don't share my passion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 12:10 pm

I do. With mixed results. If their eyes start to glaze after the first sentence, I drop it.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 2:54 pm

Wowee ! Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_biggrin You guys really showed how many different ways there
are to deal with this !..I think many times people aren't going to
understand us or watches..but sometimes someone might just see
the light ! It's really interesting and funny because I think many of
us have gone through ALL of these scenarios that you guys talked
about ! Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_cheers They may not care, might make fun, ask why you payed
what you paid !, or catch the bug as Duff said ! Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_smile The catching the bug
one is the most rewarding, because then "they" begin to see what WE
have been seeing all this time. Then before you know it they have a
passion for the hobby too and are not only learning about, and buying
watches..but also joining watch forums like XMT ! Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_santa

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:21 pm

Aqua Homer wrote:
I'm currently trying to work on a neighbor. It's a slow gentle process. You don't want to make any big exaggerated movements.

Yeap...That's the right approach...trial and error has taught me , to go slow...it takes skills and yet still a frustrating endeavor, As an example, I totally gave up on my females friends and co-workers (I work in a Hospital)Crying or Very sad
It usually goes like this...

Me: Hey... how are you?
Jane Doe...I'm good..how 'bout you, anything new?
Me: I'm so happy, I scored a vintage Seiko 6139 in excellent shape!, look
JD; You mean used?
Me: Yes, they don't make them anymore
JD: If I just knew you needed a watch...they had a big sale at Macy's this weekend..and they are new silly
Me:But this is a 6139, the same Seiko model Colonel Pogue took to outer space
JD:Pogue? the guy from the movie Avatar ?....he's hot!!
Me: No this is the real thing, a real astronaut...from NASA
JD: NASA?Really?...... Do you hear about the new girl in Radiology?

At this point, usually I drop the subjet altogether Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeMon Dec 28, 2009 7:46 pm

IMHO a pointless endeavor.
That's why I visit these places.
Back to top Go down
merichar
Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:25 am

People will periodically ask me something about watches or comment on one they have'nt seen before. I'm happy to help them but I've learned not to bother raising the topic-they just don't get it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:30 am

I hardly ever start the topic unless I see a really cool watch on someone else. I have had many ask me questions or realize that I like watches and ask me about issues with theirs.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Most times   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitimeTue Dec 29, 2009 1:42 am

What do you mean ? You built that watch ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?   Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Do You Ever Try To Talk Watches With Non-Watch People ?
Page 1 of 1