The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?

Go down 
+7
DMB
PoliMalaka
andrema
Northwestguy
ericf4
Anomaly
AtomicTom
11 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Empty
PostSubject: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:18 pm

What do you guys think will be the trend with watches in 2011 ?

Not that we really follow them or anything, but do you feel there will
be a certain shift, or theme with watches this year ? Might we see more
modern watches, maybe a return to classic styles, or an overall mix of
both ? ..Will there be groundbreaking new movements, cool dials, cases,
bracelets, etc to be seen this year ? ..Better yet, what would YOU like
to see this year ? Smile

Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:24 pm

Funny you should ask Tom, I was JUST kinda thinking about my ATTITUDE toward watches for the new year...

For me, the new attitude is CHILL OUT MAN!

They are just freakin' watches dudes!

I have looked back at how BENT or EMOTIONAL I have gotten over some threads and posts over the last year and guess what? It's just SILLY!

These little machines are supposed to be something we all enjoy, not fight over or about...

So if you wanna buy 200 watches...

If you wanna buy 10 nice watches...

If you are hell bent on exposing every fault a watch company may have...

Whatever the FREAK makes you happy concerning watches, have at it!

Is it really worth getting upset or mad at someone over something that tells us what time it is when over half the freakin' world is using a CELL PHONE for the time?

Let's quit alienating eachother over trivial CRAP and just enjoy a HOBBY (not a life altering decision) that brought us all together in the first place!

Happy New Watch Year Fellas!

XMT...they are JUST watches! (sounds like a new banner)...

Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 3:39 pm

I will be giving away my collection and start collecting belly button lint.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 4:21 pm

ericf4 wrote:
I will be giving away my collection and start collecting belly button lint.

TASTY!

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 5:37 pm

Anomaly wrote:
Funny you should ask Tom, I was JUST kinda thinking about my ATTITUDE toward watches for the new year...

I have looked back at how BENT or EMOTIONAL I have gotten over some threads and posts over the last year and guess what? It's just SILLY!

These little machines are supposed to be something we all enjoy, not fight over or about...

Is it really worth getting upset or mad at someone over something that tells us what time it is when over half the freakin' world is using a CELL PHONE for the time?

Let's quit alienating eachother over trivial CRAP and just enjoy a HOBBY (not a life altering decision) that brought us all together in the first place!

WELL SAID,I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
I THINK THE TREND WILL BE GOING BACK TO THE BASICS.CLEANER DIALS 43m-46m
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 9:24 pm

I think the trend will be headed away from the larger sizes. I don't think that people in the general watch world population are interested in the "BEHEMOTH"-sized watches except for women wearing the larger sized timepieces as a fashion statement. I say this of course, with a biased opinion because I have moved away from the larger sized watches ( >45mm). I really don't know what styles will evolve..........maybe more complex and more accurate mechanical movements; maybe there will be a move toward a more fashion oriented design to further the accessary role of watches????????????? Will be looking forward to seeing what shows up at Basel this year!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:00 pm

Anomaly wrote:

Have you been on any of those gaming forums? My son was on a few and a watch forum is like taking a sewing class compared to the gamers! Good luck buddy! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 25866
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:37 pm

The trend for me in 2011 will be buying a Tudor Heritage! Now I just need to find one fir a reasonable price!!

Senior Associate
PoliMalaka

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 12:30 am

70 mm diameter with 500 peice bezles that sit 30mm high on the wrist.

And douche pickles as markers.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 1:03 am

I like the way you guys think ! cheers

Alan, THAT was just PHENOMENAL what you said there !!! ..Can't add anything more
to that. You hit it out of the park sir !!!! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 803574 What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 803574 ..GREAT stuff right there !

Eric, you are TOO fuuny sir ! ..I know you have OUTSTANDING taste in watches,
so I'm sure your belly button lint collection would be impressive TOO ! cheers

Dave, EXCELLENT point ! ..Definitely thinking that going back to basics is always nice !
..That size, along with nice clean dials would be really COOL to see ! Smile

John, those are TERRIFIC ideas sir !!! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 46145 ..The whole watch size thing will be something to look
out for, and I think the accurate complex mechanicals sound OUTSTANDING as well. Will be extremely
interesting to see how the role of watches changes or stays the same sir ! Can't wait for Basel either
by the way !

Trevor, those gaming forums sound REALLY intriguing !!! ..I guess when people have a passion for
something, and genuinely get into it, things can get kind of emotional or heated. Guess it's very
similar to other hobbies just like like ours ! ..FANTASTIC point !!! Very Happy

Mark, that Tudor sounds like a TREMENDOUSLY NICE trend for you sir ! Smile Being able to focus in
on one of those would be Out of this World ! ..It's cool to have a watch like that to have in mind,
and then be able to take your time and track it down ! ..VERY cool ! Cool

Poli, that was HILARIOUS right there sir ! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 744742 ..Thank YOU SO much for making us laugh !!!!
I will be watching to see if any of those trends come true this year ! lol!

SPECTACULAR thoughts, and ideas everyone !!!!! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 46145

Thanks ALOT for sharing them !

Associate
DMB

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 1:18 am

I've never really cared what anyone else wears, but for me I've found what I think is my sweet spot in regards to watches. This year I went back to my roots. 38 to 42mm, classic designs. I may add one or two more in 2011 but for the most part I am done. I've found my watch nirvana with my current (small) lineup.
Back to top Go down
TAZMAN64
Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 1:28 am

i have to agree with john, i think a lot of collectors will be going back to 40mm 44mm range. i remember when the sizes kept going up and up and a lot of people were saying that its just a fad. well it looks like they were right, atleast thats what i have done and i know a lot others have as well. as far as style or design, as long as people buy what they like and not what others tell them to buy and what to like, they will be a lot happier with there collections. for myself i will continue to downsize my colection and only buy 1 or 2 more quality pieces and i think that will be it for me when it comes to buying more watches??? since i bought my breitling, ive been very content with it and a couple others in my collection. i never thought this would happen but it has. i think one more breitling and im done buying watches for a long while. steve
Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 1:48 am

Good question, Tom.

I'm certainly no pundit in the new watch space, but I'll offer up a few opinions nonetheless. Laughing

I think we'll see a greater proliferation of micro brands, as globalization makes it easier to create and market these brands.

I think we'll see the trend toward Chinese components increase. With ETA bowing out of the general market, I think more and more brands will see the cost/benefits of utilizing improving Chinese quality and of course their very low production costs.

I think watch styles will slowly trend toward the "classic" looks admired by many 'older' customers. Gen Y customers tend to rely more on their cell phones for the time, and have less appreciation (generally) for the elegance of the finely crafted mechanical watch.

I think females will become a greater force watches, as more and more women continue turning to wristwatches as an expression of their fashion.

Not sure that any of these comments really represent NEW trends, just maybe a changing emphasis in 2011. But then again...what the hell do I know! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 540449
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 8:48 am

hmmm...2011 trends? If we take what is happening with major Japanese makers, the trend to blingy, large (45mm+) watches will continue and so will their prices! Seiko is now pushing its low end priced SOLAR models in N. America!!! (under $200) But the Seikos and Citizen and Casio mid tier models will set the year standard IMO.

I see the Rose Gold plated watch trend increasing for high end watches.
The better Chinese quality movements will be seen more and more (Seagulls), replacing eventually many Miyotas.
Back to top Go down
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 10:55 am

I just bought a few watches in the 45-47mm range, (even though I think they are a little big) it seems to me that a lot of the new and cool designs are coming out in this range (not smaller) so I don't think the trend to large watches is going to end. You may not see as many 50mm+ watches but those are typically not the higher end brands that I want anyway. Last year I thought 43mm was huge!

I see prices continuing to rise in both new and vintage markets, if you want something...get it now.

The Chinese like gold watches and I think you will see more and more of the non US models in gold to feed the watch market in China. I read more and more about the exploding luxury watch market in China...somehow this will effect the world market. Maybe less models for the rest of us.

I hope Seiko/Citizen pulls their head out and starts to stock US retailers with automatics and some of the cool DM watch designs, but I won't hold my breath. Take a look at your local Macy's/JC Penney/Jewlery Store and you will see why watches are not popular with the younger crowds...the designs are dated and suck. Bulova has Just introduced many new styles (I know owned by Citizen) to appeal to younger buyers, and these are in the large 45+ size range, so again, don't think this size is going away anytime soon.

I am wondering what Victorinox has planned, they have been cleaning out the pipeline over the last year (of unsold stock) with many models on Deal of the Day sites and other steep discounters. This usually happens right before a major change in line up or significant new model introductions.

But really who cares, we as WIS will just find or have made just what we want anyway...trends really don't matter. Very Happy

What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 3:22 pm

Holy COW ! DMB, Steve, Tom, Thian, and Gary !!!!! Those are some PHENOMENAL
thoughts as well ! cheers Smile Honestly have to agree with everything you guys said.
It's really great hearing what everybody thinks, and what their perspective is on
things. ..Thank you VERY VERY MUCH for all of your thoughts, ideas, along with
insight into things ! study What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 46145

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 2:23 pm

Watches coming back to normal sizes i hope. 42mm- 43mm

More efforts from companies to distance themselves this year, better movements, higher decorations, newer, more daring designs, as i see 2011 not as easy as 2010.
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeSat Jan 01, 2011 7:54 pm

The whole case size theme seems to be a trend to watch for this year t20569cald !
I like your ideas about watch companies making more cool movements, along with
more decoration, and unique designs also ! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 803574

I hope those DO become trends this year ! ..Thanks !!!

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 9:08 am

Here is a thread from SCWF on Seiko's new E-INK watch and technology. Still niche tech but who knows how it might play out in the future. Of course, Digital geeks love it!
http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,8526.0.html
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:00 pm

I think you're right on the mark, Alan. Your post reminds me of a time back in 1994 when I was working at Timex. I was then in the Kids' Division and we were selling our watches for Disney's "The Lion King" movie when it was in the theaters.

The movie was a huge hit, and so were our Lion King watches. My boss and I were putting in 18-hour days, dealing with all the retailers who were screaming for more, trying our best to allocate hundreds of thousands of watches. We literally couldn't make them fast enough. We had retail buyers screaming at us all day every day, threatening to sue us because we simply couldn't deliver as much as they needed.

Anyway, I was really getting stressed-out, having people screaming at us all day long. Finally, one of my favorite sales reps said to me:
"Look, at the end of the day, we're not saving lives. We're just selling watches. We have to keep this in perspective." Her words really stuck with me.

Your post reminded me of this... :>)

Thanks for allowing me to participate, Alan.

Best,

George
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 pm

G.Fox wrote:
I think you're right on the mark, Alan. Your post reminds me of a time back in 1994 when I was working at Timex. I was then in the Kids' Division and we were selling our watches for Disney's "The Lion King" movie when it was in the theaters.

The movie was a huge hit, and so were our Lion King watches. My boss and I were putting in 18-hour days, dealing with all the retailers who were screaming for more, trying our best to allocate hundreds of thousands of watches. We literally couldn't make them fast enough. We had retail buyers screaming at us all day every day, threatening to sue us because we simply couldn't deliver as much as they needed.

Anyway, I was really getting stressed-out, having people screaming at us all day long. Finally, one of my favorite sales reps said to me:
"Look, at the end of the day, we're not saving lives. We're just selling watches. We have to keep this in perspective." Her words really stuck with me.

Your posted reminded me of this... :>)

Thanks for allowing me to participate, Alan.

Best,

George

No, thank you George, and all the other members, for being here!

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:10 pm

I think gift giving will be a HUGE trend this year as many people realize they only need one watch.

My address is. . . .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 5:57 pm

ive got this big old SO Aaron ;-) What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 213652
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitimeMon Jan 03, 2011 11:28 pm

That E-INK watch is TOO GOOD Thian ! ..It's got some amazing technology, plus it looks
VERY futuristic, AND cool ! Cool Would be pretty great to see more of this in the coming year
that's for sure ! Smile

Mr. Fox, thanks for giving us some insight into how things go in the watch industry there
sir ! What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? 803574 You make an AWESOME point, as did Alan !

Aaron, have to agree with you, and Trevor ! That gifting trend sounds like it's going to be
the next BIG thing ! cheers

Thanks VERY MUCH everyone !

PostSubject: Re: What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?   What's going to be the trend in 2011 ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's going to be the trend in 2011 ?
Page 1 of 1