The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

The Seiko Sumo

Go down 
+3
smellody
Northwestguy
jaw
7 posters
AuthorMessage

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:26 pm

Finally got the Seiko Sumo last night. I bought this watch used from a user on WUS. The watch has been modified, the bracelet and case were bead blasted by MCWW. The finish has a satin look to it even looks a little like titanium. I think it looks great. I am aware that MCWW tests to 70 meters WR, I knew that going in we'll see if I end up regretting it.

The Seiko Sumo Sumo4
The Seiko Sumo Sumo7
The Seiko Sumo Sumo8

The movement is the 6r15 hackable and so far very accurate about +2s/day over one day. It can also be wound by the crown, which is nice, cause I can't do that with my monster. i wouldn't call the seconds hand the smoothest thing in the world likely due to the 21600 vph movement, very reminiscent of my Omega Planet Ocean which has a 25200 vph.

The Seiko Sumo Sumo3
The Seiko Sumo Sumo2l

Has a dual deployment with safety clasp as well as a divers extension. The bracelet is shorter than I'm used to, I didn't have to remove any links and am 2 micro adjustments from the end. 120 click bezel, turns smooth and deliberate.

The Seiko Sumo Sumo5x
The Seiko Sumo Sumo6

It has a 20mm bracelet which I was expecting to look a little strange, but I was wrong and actually looks like it belongs. I'm sure the shoulders help make the bracelet look appropriate. Only drawback is no sapphire, hardlex crystal. I'm not commandoing on the weekends so I'll probably be ok. The crown is offset which makes no difference to me, though I do believe aesthetically looks better. The dial is simple and sterile making the hour markers and hands stand out and very visible. The lume of course is bright bright bright, even looking bright on my crappy android photos.

The Seiko Sumo Sumolume

To summarize, great watch that has me considering a Marine Master now. Quality is evident, love the accuracy out of the box. Probably helps that for a used watch the fact the bracelet was beadblasted makes it look like new.

Extras, came with a Marine Master bezel and strap, will try them out, but I'm not in a hurry.

Finally, the wrist shot.

The Seiko Sumo Sumo
Back to top Go down

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 9:30 pm

very coooooooooool seiko.nice pics too
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:39 pm

Man this must be new watch week...

I like this watch a lot. Even more with the satin blasting that looks much finer than bead. Less blingy - Nice. Also love bold broad markers/hands on this and the Marine Master. The tapered bracelet probably makes it wear larger, but I would have to see one live to be sure. If it was a tad larger, I'd have one. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 10:54 pm

Thanks fellas.

Jaw, where is the review on that Eterna, I've been so close to buying that watch. How's the rubber strap? Can it be changed out? How big do you like your watches, this one is 45mm.
Back to top Go down
Northwestguy
Senior Associate
Northwestguy

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:12 pm

Great looking watch. I have been tempted a few times in the past but have managed to hold off. Yours is giving me the itch. Like the movement and like the shoulders of the case because they don't protrude out around the crown. Congrats!
Back to top Go down
jaw
Senior Associate
jaw

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:17 pm

aztecknight wrote:
Thanks fellas.

Jaw, where is the review on that Eterna, I've been so close to buying that watch. How's the rubber strap? Can it be changed out? How big do you like your watches, this one is 45mm.

Eterna Review: Just haven't had time to collect thoughts and photograph effectively. Will likely just use other (much better) Internet photos out there.

Strap: Doesn't smell like vanilla so from what I'm told it probably ain't natural rubber. Emailed Eterna yesterday - no other strap/bracelet options available. Rubber can be replaced for 210 CHF ($233) - Ouch. So don't fuck it up when you cut it. Strap swap using the OEM clasp would require a custom job w/tube holes on both 24mm ends. I imagine you could use a standard strap buckle if you found one that would fit into the lug end slot properly for the tube to be inserted. I'm considering the custom route w/Ridinfool.

Size: Varies for me . I will go much smaller than I used to in my delusional Invicta days. But don't like to go below 44mm and no higher than 48mm these days - depends on the watch and other surrounding features. I would have to see the Sumo live before jumping. My Venom and Leviathan are for sale.
Back to top Go down
smellody
Consigliere
smellody

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 11:57 pm

Great looking Seiko. Inspiring! Congrats.
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 12:19 am

Such a CLEAN watch...love a great 3-hand!

Enjoy!

Senior Consigliere

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 2:08 am

Azteck, this is genuinely a SUPER Seiko by the looks of it ! cyclops Very Happy There is a REAL
presence about the watch that you can really feel. ..Between the bezel, and dial
look, and the case size, this watch is EXTRA impressive. That beadblasted finish
on everything, including the beautiful bracelet, takes things into the stratosphere
as well. It's the perfect blend of vintage style, modern aggression, and size. The Seiko Sumo 46145
Some of that vintage, along with modern dueling seems to take place on the bezel
of the Sumo. There are those phenomenal looking numbers on there that just jump
out at you so nicely. Even the markings have a look about them that is extremely
attractive, and reminiscent of older dive watch bezels. At the very same time though,
there is a modern twist with the thickness of the numbers, and overall look imho.
It's just subtle enough to be noticed, and adds more character to the watch if
you ask me. Same thing goes for those small dot makers that surround the crystal.
They also bring in yet another cool, as well as eye-catching feature to the watch.
Have to also mention the classic looking lume triangle/pip at 12 o'clock on this
bezel also. Again it reminds you of classic dive watches, but also manages to be
maybe just a touch bigger, and more noticeable on the Sumo here. Then again,
this watch does things in such a great way that you have to expect some different
elements to be added to the classic ones. ..Now with the dial, some of the same
things are happening imho. At first glance you can find all of the tradition of past
vintage divers. The easy to see markers, the sporty hands. However, then you
realize that these markers are slightly larger, and also have some unique shapes
to them as well. The 12 o'clock marker is ESPECIALLY MEAN looking with it's almost
extraterrestrial feel to it. Really enjoying the split down the center theme with it. Smile
In addition, the shape of the hands are VERY intriguing TOO ! They kind of look like
swords at first, but later it's easy to see that they are a little different than the other
hands. Again a modern twist seems to happen where the shapes get more aggressive,
and noticeable. The thickness of the hour hand, along with minute hand are excellent.
While the second hand mixes things up in it's own way with the attractive design at the
end of it. Later on when looking at the case, it's easy to understand that this theme will
continue throughout the watch in an extremely impressive way. Just the tapering on the
lugs, and the way the steel angles, and then reflects light off of that beadblasted finish
is incredible !!! The width, along with thickness brings a modern feel into a vintage world
with this one. Even the positioning of the crown is very very nice, and of course ..cool ! Cool
This bracelet, with it's second to none design, finish and quality, helps to tie everything
together perfectly imho. It really does look like it flows from the watch, along with those
lugs, and just couldn't be better I don't think. From the great outside of the watch, to
the great inside of the watch with the movement. This Seiko is DEFINITELY ..Super !
Congrats to you Azteck, and of course ..Enjoy !

Super Watch, AND PICS !

Senior Associate
TAZMAN64

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeThu Mar 17, 2011 3:52 am

Congrats on your new seiko, I like the bead blasted finish. Steve
Back to top Go down

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeSun Apr 24, 2011 11:28 pm

aztecknight wrote:
Extras, came with a Marine Master bezel and strap, will try them out
Does this mean the MM bezel fits on the Sumo? Has anyone done this that we know of? This would also be an improvement, I think, and a better (but more expensive, I assume) option than the yobokies insert.

Nice photos and I also like the bead-blast. I will likely do mine entirely in ScotchBrite pad for the final finish, but either way--IMO much better than high polish--just a personal preference of course.

Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeMon Apr 25, 2011 3:34 pm

Bongo Boy wrote:
aztecknight wrote:
Extras, came with a Marine Master bezel and strap, will try them out
Does this mean the MM bezel fits on the Sumo? Has anyone done this that we know of? This would also be an improvement, I think, and a better (but more expensive, I assume) option than the yobokies insert.

Nice photos and I also like the bead-blast. I will likely do mine entirely in ScotchBrite pad for the final finish, but either way--IMO much better than high polish--just a personal preference of course.

Here is a complete PMMM (poor man's marine master) Smile...great job too!! http://www.thedivewatchconnection.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8140&p=134479&hilit=poor+man#p134479

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitimeTue Apr 26, 2011 1:33 am

I got the answer I needed today--that the MM bezel doesn't fit anything but the MM watch.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Seiko Sumo Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Seiko Sumo   The Seiko Sumo Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Seiko Sumo
Page 1 of 1