The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Empty
PostSubject: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2010 10:13 pm

Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:25 pm

thanks for the link.......not sure if the Orient should be compared to the Sumo....rather with Seiko MMaster. Ty Maitland did a comparison of the MM and Orient 300m and he biased his opinion to the MM....but for pricepoint, most guys prefer and love the Orient 300m!
Back to top Go down
Anomaly
Senior Associate
Anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:32 pm

Just from MY perspective...

I don't like the date at "9" nor do I like the power reserve where it is...

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:34 pm

I do like the crown guards better on the Orient as well as the bezel. Other than that - meh.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Docrwm wrote:
Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Orient_300m_sbdc001_compare

Nice side -by-side comparison of the two.

[url=http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/orient-300m-cfd0c001b-and-seiko-200m-sbdc001/
http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/orient-300m-cfd0c001b-and-seiko-200m-sbdc001/[/quote[/url]]

I like the Orient better because of the bezel design, crown guards, crowns size and power reserve.

However, I like the hands and hour indicies and the writing on the dial (Seiko logo and WR/movement writing).

From what I recall, isn't the pricing on these two different by $400 BNIB? Either way, I would still get the Orient over the Seiko in this case.

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:02 pm

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Orient_300m_sbdc001_compare

Nice side -by-side comparison of the two.

[url=http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/orient-300m-cfd0c001b-and-seiko-200m-sbdc001/
http://yeomanseiko.wordpress.com/2010/02/28/orient-300m-cfd0c001b-and-seiko-200m-sbdc001/[/quote[/url]]

I like the Orient better because of the bezel design, crown guards, crowns size and power reserve.

However, I like the hands and hour indicies and the writing on the dial (Seiko logo and WR/movement writing).

From what I recall, isn't the pricing on these two different by $400 BNIB? Either way, I would still get the Orient over the Seiko in this case.

The list price on the Seiko is around $550 right now and on the Orient it is officially $1800.
Back to top Go down
andrema
Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:04 pm

Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:

The list price on the Seiko is around $550 right now and on the Orient it is officially $1800.

I believe that I was confusing the Orient Preowned for BNIB price...I remember seeing one the other day for around $900, It must have been on one of the sales forums Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m 831531

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:06 pm

andrema wrote:
Docrwm wrote:
andrema wrote:

I believe that I was confusing the Orient Preowned for BNIB price...I remember seeing one the other day for around $900, It must have been on one of the sales forums Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m 831531

OrientUSA sells them on their % off sales and you can get the Orange (but only that model as I recall) for 45% off the $1800 if you are patient. Typical used price is around $900 because of that for all the models. Kinda kills resale when you can get a different dial color (orange) BNIB for less than a used Black goes for.
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 7:17 pm

That price differential is a clue to each watch's inherent value, so tis like apples and oranges for comparison IMO. I have read rave reviews on the Seiko Sumo and the 6R15 movement is a nice update to the venerable 7S26. Sumo size appeals to many and the rather plain dial design. Newer font choice gives the Sumo a current style look. But that is all IMO.
I have owned older Seiko divers and the Sumo doesn't cut it for me now. I still prefer the 6309, quartz 7548s and a few others.
For the Orient brand I am a newbie. My first was the midsized auto from the 90s, then a rare quartz 90s diver found in Denmark, then the Brazilian 200m pepsi model......and now a 2003? Orient M-Force version with typical reserve window- my first of this styling. A Japanese domestic Model only, it shows all the quality of build and fit worthy of these Orients- equal to any Seiko IMO. In the past, I never quite liked the reserve window concept, but I have changed my thinking with the M-Forces. It does not detract at all from time reading and DOES give me an idea of left over power, should I leave it alone and rotate my other mechanicals and handwinders. Granted, the dial placement can be annoying to one's eye for detail....but in the above example of the 300m, I guess the designers tried to balance off the right side reserve window with the 9 position date window.....just a guess.....

Andrema just found a used price of $900.....and that seems to be around the going used price....still a great deal IMO!

My latest toy! love it!

Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Dialcasingcrownsideview
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 8:38 pm

I like both of them actually ! Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_smile The bezel on the Orient is excellent !
However, when you look at the Seiko's bezel from the side, it's NICE
too ! Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_cheers The hands and markers are great on both of them also. All
in all they are both winners imho ! They have flawless designs, looks,
and movements ! Thanks for the link !!!..Your's is NICE as well Thian ! Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_biggrin
GREAT looking watches !!!

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 9:19 pm

. . . I am really fond of the Sumo. Will own one. The Orient is nice, In person the Seiko seemed just a tad better finished as far as details go. The slight polished edge work leading to the lugs . . . . Definately high on my want have list. . .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m   Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Yeomans: Sumo vs. Orient 300m
Page 1 of 1