The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Timepieces vs watches

Go down 
+5
ericf4
andrema
merichar
Mr Rick
AtomicTom
9 posters
AuthorMessage
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

Timepieces vs watches Empty
PostSubject: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 2:56 pm

You have probably always heard these two used, but do you think there is a difference?
Sometimes you might expect to hear the word timepiece when it has to do with a classic
vintage watch, pocket watch, or even high end modern watch. However, lately have even
heard timepiece used in Holiday commercials for very affordable watches too ! ..So what
do you have to say? Is there actually a difference between the two? Or is one just a fancy
word for the other? ..Any opinions? Smile

Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 pm

I use the term timepiece when referring to something that is IMHO more then just a watch. Classic, vintage or modern can all fall into this category if they have the 'look'. Just don't ask me what the 'look' is. Laughing
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeFri Dec 23, 2011 11:15 pm

Mr Rick wrote:
I use the term timepiece when referring to something that is IMHO more then just a watch. Classic, vintage or modern can all fall into this category if they have the 'look'. Just don't ask me what the 'look' is. Laughing

Great points Rick ! Timepieces vs watches 803574 So a timepiece is something that goes above, and beyond an ordinary watch for you. Awesome sir. Thanks for your thoughts about this. Really appreciate it !

Senior Associate
merichar

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 2:41 am

Timepiece sounds a little pretentious to me. I prefer watches, but what do I know?
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeSat Dec 24, 2011 6:48 pm

merichar wrote:
Timepiece sounds a little pretentious to me. I prefer watches, but what do I know?

I prefer watches as well Mark, and think that you know quite a bit by the way. cheers Thanks very much for giving your opinion on this. It's really interesting hearing everyone's take.

Senior Associate
andrema

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 1:27 am

I never say timepiece...seems like someone is "putting on airs" when they use that term...I also feel the same with the term " cocktails"

Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 3:28 pm

andrema wrote:
I never say timepiece...seems like someone is "putting on airs" when they use that term...I also feel the same with the term " cocktails"

lol! ..Think your right on the mark Mark. Smile Seems like unless it's a neat vintage, or classic like Rick mentioned, that "watch" is used most of the time. Thanks !

Senior Associate
ericf4

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeSun Dec 25, 2011 11:49 pm

I use watches as generally it seems to me when someone says timepiece it's either:

The person knows crap about watches like a mall dept store rep

The person calls their cheap watch a timepiece to make it sound more impressive then it is

Back to top Go down
pacifichrono
Senior Associate
pacifichrono

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 12:54 am

Just a fancy word for watch.........but I use it all the time in my eBay auctions for vintage watches...I mean, timepieces.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pacifichrono.com
watchdaddy1
Associate
watchdaddy1

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 6:20 pm

I prefer timepieces over watches & I'm not pretentious. LOL

watches = invicters

TIMEPIECES to me is Rolex,Panerai's,Omega, etc..etc . My .02
Back to top Go down
thianwong
Senior Associate

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:30 pm

I guess the term is in the eye of the beholder. I mean...take this simple Seiko vintage 1974 LordMatic SPECIAL. Midsized, it came on a bracelate, which I subbed for a black leather. This watch is auto and handwinds, two toned with faceted crystal. Caliber 5216 installed in it.
Though 'small' by today's standards, when you wear this watch, it catches ambient light and like a diamond reflects the light back. Would it qualify for Timepiece?!

Timepieces vs watches 6562966989_ce57228b48_b
Montage 5216 Gold Rose by thianwong1, on Flickr
Back to top Go down
watchdaddy1
Associate
watchdaddy1

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:41 pm

thianwong wrote:
I guess the term is in the eye of the beholder. I mean...take this simple Seiko vintage 1974 LordMatic SPECIAL. Midsized, it came on a bracelate, which I subbed for a black leather. This watch is auto and handwinds, two toned with faceted crystal. Caliber 5216 installed in it.
Though 'small' by today's standards, when you wear this watch, it catches ambient light and like a diamond reflects the light back. Would it qualify for Timepiece?!

Timepieces vs watches 6562966989_ce57228b48_b
Montage 5216 Gold Rose by thianwong1, on Flickr

Yes sir in my eyes thats a timepiece
Back to top Go down
watchdaddy1
Associate
watchdaddy1

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 7:54 pm

I have a SEIKO 1970'S ALL ORIGINAL
6138 BULLHEAD CHRONO, & I consider this a timepiece as well.Seiko is no joke esp. these days..

Timepieces vs watches SUC51840-1
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeMon Dec 26, 2011 11:47 pm

Some REALLY excellent opinions, along with thoughts here everybody ! WOW ! Thanks so much !Smile Timepieces vs watches 46145

Think Thian's..In the eye of the beholder theme works perfectly come to think of it. Timepieces vs watches 803574

Senior Associate
barnbuilder

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeTue Dec 27, 2011 2:39 am

I use the word watch and have no problem with the word timepiece.

It's like the word Trekkie to the Trekker or vice versa, one group thinks they know more than the other,
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitimeFri Dec 30, 2011 4:27 pm

barnbuilder wrote:
I use the word watch and have no problem with the word timepiece.

It's like the word Trekkie to the Trekker or vice versa, one group thinks they know more than the other,

What a really great analogy here Ron ! Timepieces vs watches 803574 Timepieces vs watches 46145

PostSubject: Re: Timepieces vs watches   Timepieces vs watches Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Timepieces vs watches
Page 1 of 1