The Lounge - Watch Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A place to enjoy watches and everything in between !

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Empty
PostSubject: No big deal......just another 'Grail' post   No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 1:55 pm

I am sure the term ‘grail’ is overused in the watch world. First, a grail has to be obtainable; it can’t be so expensive that you would have to win the Lottery, twice, to get it. It has to stand the test of time….if your grail is constantly changing then it cannot really be the one. One of my Grails has always been the Blancpain 50 Fathoms, but winning the lottery never happened!

Since 2012, when I visited the RGM factory in Mt. Joy, Pennsylvania, I have had a different Grail in mind. RGM had a book in one of the rooms with some special custom watches in it that showed some of the amazing dials and engraved case backs, each one was a work of art! Many of these were tall ships or nautical scenes. I was talking to my friend Bruce (who is also a watch person and had accompanied me on the tour), and we decided that an RGM with a custom dial or engraved case back would be the ultimate watch.

At the end of the tour, we were asked to look at the watches for sale and we opportunity to buy them. I think they had two RGM 300 divers and only one with a MOP dial. Price was a sobering $2500 (special sale for the open house) and I was tempted. I did not have the money to get one that day, but since then I have thought about that watch many times. The feeling was disappointment at first but then slowly I realized the RGM MOP 300 Diver had become my Grail. I have seen a few for sale since then but none of them seemed as special as the Mother of Pearl beauty I looked at and held in my hands on that beautiful September day. Sure, I could get a new one….but ordering a new one, MOP with a custom case back, put me right back in the lottery winner fantasy again.

Fast forward to 2020. I had always followed RGM on social media just to see what Roland was up to and get a look at the new cool designs. I was not aware that he sometimes listed used watches and was surprised to see an older RGM 300, with a custom MOP dial, custom hands, and a custom fully engraved case back, listed for sale. I was sure that someone had already bought it, and then I noticed it had only been listed for 6 minutes! I fired off an email to Roland asking for details on the watch. Roland asked me to call him and the deal was done.

I am super happy about getting this watch, it is listed on the RGM birth certificate as a 1 of 1 Custom. I have, however, busted my watch budget for a least a year (or until the lottery fantasy pays out!)

All pictures are credited to RGM watches.

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post The_cc10

The engraving on the back is of the SS Christopher Columbus.  An American excursion liner on the Great Lakes, in service between 1893 and 1933. She was the only whaleback ship ever built for passenger service.  At 362 feet (110 m), the ship was the longest whaleback ever built, and reportedly also the largest vessel on the Great Lakes when she was launched. SS Christopher Columbus is said to have carried more passengers during her career than any other vessel on the Great Lakes. After a career lasting four decades, she was retired during the Great Depression and scrapped in 1936. There is other cool stuff about this ship on Wikipedia if you want to know more.

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Img_1717

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Img_1715

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Img_1716

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Img_1714

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors

Last edited by sixtysix on Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: No big deal......just another 'Grail' post   No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Yowzers, you weren't kidding at all about the something special thing Gary !!! Surprised cheers No big deal......just another 'Grail' post 46145

Wishing you a HUMONGOUS congratulations on actually picking up this grail sir, and by the way just
love your description of what a grail is. Or what makes a grail a grail, or the one. Smile No big deal......just another 'Grail' post 803574 Think you really
hit it out of the park ! ..Then you have this RGM which is a grand slam !!! Very Happy Loved just hearing the story,
and your history about knowing about this showstopper Gary, and how long you have had your eye
on one. Really is something, and you didn't have to hit the lottery like you said. lol! Although by the
looks of this masterpiece, it looks worthy of that, and even is a grand prize itself. I mean really Gary,
do you ever see some of the incredibly over priced watches out there in the watch world? So many
of them are great, but still not worth the insane prices to tell the truth. However, a watch like this
actually IS, and then at the same time somehow manages to give you an unbelievable amount of
bang for the buck. Just looking at it from here, I am in awe. You have the remarkable design, as
well as grail watchmaking, and detail. But then even spectacular case-back, along with history of
that. Not to mention, your own history of wanting a watch like this ! How about that?! cyclops

Can't get ANY cooler as they, or anyone would say sir !!! No big deal......just another 'Grail' post 933578 Cool

Want to wish you a HUGE congrats once again G, and thank you for the great story about everything !

Hope you really are enjoying, or will enjoy !!!

sixtysix
Consigliere
sixtysix

PostSubject: Re: No big deal......just another 'Grail' post   No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 12:13 pm

Thanks Tom, I really really like this one...I feel like it was always going to be mine I just had to wait for the other guy to get done with it. I wish I knew more of the history, who had it, why they wanted this particular ship on the back, why the custom dial, why they went with black lume on hands and dial. I see it's printed with 1000M WR (3300ft) , a standard 300 is only rated 2500ft WR. Roland told me the original owner was not the one who brought it in for trade, It was a dealer who regularly trades stuff in. But it came with everything, rubber strap, warranty and instruction book, original certificate describing watch, even and RGM (Victorinox) knife. Roland even tossed in a few links for the bracelet, I told him I would need a full sized bracelet.

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Doggytongue

Remember we are the caretakers of mechanical art.....
Member NAWCC, National Association of Watch & Clock Collectors
Back to top Go down
AtomicTom
Senior Consigliere

PostSubject: Re: No big deal......just another 'Grail' post   No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Icon_minitimeTue Aug 04, 2020 3:23 pm

sixtysix wrote:
Thanks Tom, I really really like this one...I feel like it was always going to be mine I just had to wait for the other guy to get done with it. I wish I knew more of the history, who had it, why they wanted this particular ship on the back, why the custom dial, why they went with black lume on hands and dial. I see it's printed with 1000M WR (3300ft) , a standard 300 is only rated 2500ft WR. Roland told me the original owner was not the one who brought it in for trade, It was a dealer who regularly trades stuff in. But it came with everything, rubber strap, warranty and instruction book, original certificate describing watch, even and RGM (Victorinox) knife. Roland even tossed in a few links for the bracelet, I told him I would need a full sized bracelet.

You got it sir, and thank YOU for telling us all about this one, and just sharing the phenomenal story !!! No big deal......just another 'Grail' post 46145
It's funny how things work out some times right?! With this beauty making it's way to you, and your
wrist. Very Happy Think it really was destiny Gary, and actually having all of these unique, and extremely cool
details, or specs is awesome I think. Even not knowing why the watch had the set-up. Or details it
does is sensational, and makes the watch that much more special, and one of a kind. It's a collection
in itself G ! bounce Really hope you enjoy !!!

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: No big deal......just another 'Grail' post   No big deal......just another 'Grail' post Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

No big deal......just another 'Grail' post
Page 1 of 1